Word Count validator

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think this has been posted here before, though it's several places on the NaNo boards.

The word count validator counts spaces between words. So if you have dashes--like so--or ellipses...like that...you might end up short; if you put spaces around them -- like so -- it'll give you extra words. There are some other issues, but apparently that's the main cause of discrepancies, if anyone's worried.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Crap, haha. I use dashes a lot, and never with spaces.

Reaction score
MS Word told me I had 50,020 and NaNo said 50,066. Whatever, I'll take it.

Also, has anyone noticed a difference in word counts with MS Office 2007, and any word documents made backwards-compatible? 2007 gives me a slightly higher word count than any copies of a document read in compatibility mode.

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Crap, haha. I use dashes a lot, and never with spaces.

Yeah, me too. For NaNo I've been typing them with a trailing space, no leading space, just because I'm a perfectionist about my wordcount. After NaNo I'll have to retrain my fingers all over again.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I'm told MS Word counts a single # character as a word. It would be nice to know the exact algorithm for how various things count words. I can see a single dash as being between a 'single word' such as heebie-jeebies, but a word count should also take a double dash as a words separator--typed, the doule-dash means a printer's M or "Em" dash, which indicates a pause in a sentence, as between "separator" and "typed" in this sentence.

Maybe I can go through every word count function I can think of and figure out exactly how each counts words, and write a blog entry on it, and it could become really popular among (other) NaNoWriMo'ers. Anything to avoid actually writing fiction...

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I use AP editing guidelines, which place spaces between the em (or en, as you prefer) dash and its linking words, so no worries there for me.

I don't think I have very many dashes at all in my text, though.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I had quite a few dashes, actually, and I put spaces between them because I knew how it counts. ;)

Plus, it looks weird to me without a spaces between the dash and the words.