So who's still working their way to 50k?

JustJess

Registered
Reaction score
When do you see yourself crossing the golden finish line? Will it be a last minute victory?

This morning I was at 42k and somehow, despite hosting Thanksgiving, I had my most productive day yet finishing at 48001! I loathe going out on Black Friday but tomorrow I will fight my way through Staples to buy a new ink cartridge so I can print out my certificate tomorrow night.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Me! I might make it tomorrow cuz my weekend will be busy. I'm on 41,615 words and I am gonna write more tonight but atm I'm dragging my feet. Part of the problem is I haven't explored other creative outlets lately and that sometimes drives me batty.

twnkltoz

Registered
Reaction score
I'm still toiling away. just over 10k to go and I haven't started writing yet today.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
I'm almost there. 2k left to finish. I might stay up tonight if the tryptophan and carb overload wears off. Otherwise, tomorrow. I had a really, really good day yesterday. I was hoping I'd get finished today... and I totally should have brought my laptop to the inlaws. I was so bored half the day... usually it's not that boring. All I was thinking was that I could have been writing!

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm at 48,975. I'm going to bed. I'm sure I'll write my 1,025 tomorrow and validate. I already know what the last line is going to be.

Good luck, everybody.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I'm going to run right up against the midnight deadline. Too many family obligations this Thanksgiving weekend.

Lollypop1407

Registered
Reaction score
Website
fast-paced-fiction.blogspot.com
Mine's gonna be close.When I quit writing this morning I was just past 37k. I'm on my way back to my novel in a minute, where I'll plow ahead till the words go all swimmy, lol. But way back when I was way back in the couple thousands i wondered how I would fill all 50k, but now the closer I get I'm not sure I'll even be finished at 50.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Broke 40k. Will start again tomorrow. Doubtful I'll finish Fri, will be done by Saturday.

Talking like this because I might be stuck in my character's head. Interesting. Scary.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I'll make it. I'm at 28,000 now, having written 8000 words in the last 24 hours. At that pace, I still finish before midnight on Sunday.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm expecting to finish on the 30th, barring any problems. I've been doing 1667 words every day, and most of the time I've stopped once I've reached that point. I'm stuck in that groove, now, and unless I get hit by some writing lightning, I'll probably stick to that slow and steady pace. :)

Lollypop1407

Registered
Reaction score
Website
fast-paced-fiction.blogspot.com
I THINK I JUST FIGURED OUT HOW MY BOOK ENDS!!! Lol. On one hand I'm so excited & on the other, I'm kinda depressed (it's a pretty sad ending). Plus, there's loads of expansion I wanna do in rewrites (omigawd, I nearly done with my first book AND I'm thinking about rewrites!!!). It's gonna be quite something when it's all done, I think. Lol.

the blog post where it all comes together

Reaction score
Come on everyone! I'll be waiting for you on the dark side!

(Uh...that is encouraging, isn't it)?

Join us! We have JD and jelly and ice cream!

:TheWave:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
You guys are doing awesome. Keep going!!!

:e2cheer::e2cheer::e2cheer::e2cheer::e2cheer:

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
I'm between 45,000 and 46,000. I expect to finish on Sunday.

I think I'm gonna go a little over 50K, though. I pasted my ms into the NaNo word counter the other day and it was a few hundred less than my word count.

Has that happened to anyone else? I know it's a common problem with NaNo.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Mine was a few hundred shorter, seaaircarol. I've had years where it was longer, though.

shameless

Superlative Type A
Registered
Reaction score
West of somewhere and a click south of nowhere
Website
www.sandy-james.com
I'm between 45,000 and 46,000. I expect to finish on Sunday.

I think I'm gonna go a little over 50K, though. I pasted my ms into the NaNo word counter the other day and it was a few hundred less than my word count.

Has that happened to anyone else? I know it's a common problem with NaNo.

My upload to NaNo actually counted a few hundred more words than Word. Being as I was swamped with edits for my first book, I was truly amazed I made my 50K. I'm a little burned out though... And I'm dying to start editing and layering what I wrote. Just writing without going back to check and edit was a whole new experience for me. I still haven't decided if I loved it or I hated it. :tongue

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Went to a local write in last night, and one guy said he'd uploaded his ms, which Open Office said was over 50k, and he was NINE words short. Arrrgh! I told him he had to have it done by the time I got back to the table with my cola. He met the challenge. :)

Seriously, though, it does depend on what word processor you're using. I used a MS Works copy when I uploaded, and the word counts matched. My yWriter4 copy of the ms shows a few words less than Works and the official word counter.

Now, for all of you still finishing, go, Go, GO!

shameless

Superlative Type A
Registered
Reaction score
West of somewhere and a click south of nowhere
Website
www.sandy-james.com
I passed the 50K mark last night but I've still got more story left over. I don't want to update until Saturday or Sunday to get my badge of honour. If my family and friends know I've reached my goal then they'll start bugging me to do other stuff and quite frankly, I'd rather write! :D

I went ahead and updated because I figured the NaNo website would be a mess the next couple of days -- like it was the first day or two. Not sure if anyone in my family checks my progress, but I am tired of the phone calls that start, "I'll bet you're writing again..." Duh. It's what I do. :snoopy:

Congrats on passing the 50K milestone!!

Good luck to everyone still strivig for that goal!!

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I want to end today at 45,000. I can do 2.5K for the next two days easy.

I think.

Yup, I'll most likely finish at about 11:30 p.m. on Sunday.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I'm getting there, slow but sure.

Thing is I've almost run out of story. *arrrgh!* I need to think of a few extra scenes to put in.

Hmm maybe I can change that scene where all his girlfriends find out about each other and trash his flat. They could find him in bed with another one....:D

burgy61

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I am at 44k and I think it will be done sometime tomorrow, but I still have Sunday just in case I don't make it. I know the ending will take about 4k to write so that only leaves me 2k to come up with. So I am going to start writing the ending right now and worry about the other 2k when I get the ending done.