Online Book Group anybody?

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
Is there an interest in forming an online monthly book group?

It can be done. We'd have to vote on a book title...then read it. And discuss it. Here.

Sound like fun?

Dark Cyril

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm... the idea has merit. I'd almost suggest taking the actual discussion to a live chat client or messenger, but I could see it working here as well. Might get a little more thorough discussion that way.

I'd be for it.

My suggestion for picking the titles would be for everyone taking part to submit a few different titles and then either vote, or pick it through randomization. And then as the list starts narrowing, get some more on there.

Any thoughts?

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
I'd love to! I agree on the chat thing. We have chat capabilities here, but we may want to coordinate using a different service.

Great idea, Jen!

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We're doing a book study over in SF/F. The current book is always stickied and we vote on the next read a month ahead...

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
Bumping this.

Curious to see if anyone else is interested.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
I tried to do this on another board, got about 4 or 5 people to sign up, and none of them ever read the books.

So yeah, I'd be interested. Assuming y'all can pick some interesting books (read: that are not girly, appeal to everyone, and are not 4000 pages long).

jessicaorr

Book fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
I'd be interested, though it might be hard to schedule a live discussion. Especially if there are members on both sides of the pond, I think.

Still, live would be preferable over delayed discussion.

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
I think if a live discussion is scheduled for a reasonable hour and limit it to an hour or so. I participated in the Trunk Novel chat last night that Mscelina put together. About 12 of us showed. It was fun. A bit quick and difficult to keep up at times, but I think a chat could work here.

And I agree on the book length and that it should be something not chick lit like.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm... the idea has merit. I'd almost suggest taking the actual discussion to a live chat client or messenger, but I could see it working here as well. Might get a little more thorough discussion that way.

Either way sounds fun, but wouldn't the traffic make things kinda hard to actualy discuss, with everybody plugging in at once?

My suggestion for picking the titles would be for everyone taking part to submit a few different titles and then either vote, or pick it through randomization. And then as the list starts narrowing, get some more on there.

Any thoughts?

Definitely. There has to be a variety. For example, I hate SF. Wont read it if it's selected. I want the freedom to skip a book, and not be chastised for dumping the club. When in fact I'm just skipping a selected book. And we should be able to come and go as we please...with different members each book, and the same as well. There's no contract, per say.

Depending on how big the club is, the members could all just be on a rotation. Member A chooses a book, club reads. Member B chooses the next book, club reads.

Etc.

(Note: This means I'm in.)

This would be interesting, but I prefer a voting system. Odds of people wanting to read what ONE PERSON selects, are slim to none I think.

I'd love to! I agree on the chat thing. We have chat capabilities here, but we may want to coordinate using a different service.

Great idea, Jen!

I'm personally fancying the "thread" method. Chat just sounds messy. And the fact that I'd have to do it at a certain time.....I have a child and a job, and a dog and I like to sleep and watch t.v... I have to have flexibility. I've tried in person book groups, and can not commit to a meeting. I think if we select a day- or two- for thoughts and discussion, we can all stay on the same page and get our thoughts and opinions on the book all out there, in a decent amount of time so that nobody is too far ahead or behind and we can wrap up at a decent time also. Thoughts?

We're doing a book study over in SF/F. The current book is always stickied and we vote on the next read a month ahead...
yea, see, that distracts me. I'm simple. I know.

I tried to do this on another board, got about 4 or 5 people to sign up, and none of them ever read the books.

So yeah, I'd be interested. Assuming y'all can pick some interesting books (read: that are not girly, appeal to everyone, and are not 4000 pages long).

Well, it's ok. 2 people discussing a book together can be good. Hopefully it doesn't come down to that, but hey, either way we get a book read.

Another good point, long books, historical, classics and SF are not in my interesting books to read selection process. Another reason we should use group voting policies.

I think if a live discussion is scheduled for a reasonable hour and limit it to an hour or so. I participated in the Trunk Novel chat last night that Mscelina put together. About 12 of us showed. It was fun. A bit quick and difficult to keep up at times, but I think a chat could work here.

And I agree on the book length and that it should be something not chick lit like.

Again, voting. Some like chick lit, some like SF, some like horror, etc. Vote. It's not required reading.

Ooh, I'm so excited.

So...when do we start throwing titles out? I'd love to start reading in January. Who's with me?

Forum or chat? I'm all for a designated 48 hour slot in a forum.

Could we ask a Mod to make it password entry only?

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
I agree on the Thread idea and January will be a great time to do it. Maybe at the end of January provided we've chosen the book by early January. And I think a password protected thread would be best. It could be open to anyone who's read the book.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
Mods, can we please??????? Huh??? Pretttttttttttty please!!!!!!!!!

Can you give us a thread? Password protected? Who's the Mod? Where are ya? Huh?

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of Beloved (for the second time) but I'm in; it shouldn't take me all of December to finish it.

I'll check in now and again to see what progress has been made.

Cheers.

JustJess

Registered
Reaction score
Count me in! I love talking books but aside from my mother and my daughter, I don't know any other readers. Sad, huh?

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
When Book Club used to have a monthly book club. I'm not sure what happened to participation. But books up for reading were posted in poll, and members voted.

I'll tell the other mods what's going on, but you don't need a "yes" to get this off the ground. Just start up a thread announcing your book picks. Vote, read, and in a month come back and start a discussion thread. :)

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Once in awhile, you come up with a great idea. Hehehe. One of my girlfriends and I actually want to join a real live book club one day soon. Haha. Next year maybe after her wedding. But I'm all for this! I think I like the thread idea because then, we can all contribute whenever we get a chance throughout the week or so after the deadline, ya know?

How would we choose the books? Would we take turns, pick titles out of a hat...

Any ideas?

Mandy-Jane

venturing ever further into the unknown
Registered
Reaction score
I will complete a play this year! I will!
I'm interested also. I agree with the "thread" discussion option rather than the chat, but I could organise to chat if that's what everyone else wanted.

Great idea!

MissKris

Is the random.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristindmiller.com
Ooh, ooh, ooh, me too? Sounds like fun and my local (live) book group is mind-boggling conservative and simplistic. They read The Notebook one month. I like the voting idea and I like the idea that a genre I don't read very often or at all can be chosen. Part of the point of book clubs is to branch out to things we wouldn't normally pick, right? Anyway, count me in.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
Once in awhile, you come up with a great idea. Hehehe. One of my girlfriends and I actually want to join a real live book club one day soon. Haha. Next year maybe after her wedding. But I'm all for this! I think I like the thread idea because then, we can all contribute whenever we get a chance throughout the week or so after the deadline, ya know?

How would we choose the books? Would we take turns, pick titles out of a hat...

Any ideas?

Once in a while??? Why............I oughtta.....................you're lucky you're so far away missy. ;)

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
Ok. I'm taking the MOD's advice.....

Keep your eye out for my - yea I said MY - thread on the rules. hehe. I have the ULTIMATE POWER!!!!!!

Oh, sorry. I got a little carried away.

Ok....so I'm thinking, anybody interested, post your preferred title. We can then voice our opinions on said titles. Once we have an obvious few that seem interesting enough, those titles will make it to the Polls. Any genre, fiction or non, long (not too long hopefully) or short....etc. I'll create the poll. You can google/amazon the titles, pick one, and VOTE. We'll read the most popular title.

God forbid we have a tie.

Agreed?

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInternationalFreelancer.com
I'd be interested as well. But echoing Jennifer, I'd also like the option of not being chastised if I miss a book or two. Sometimes things get really crazy around here if I'm traveling.

Another vote for thread-based discussions. With time differences, things to do in the day, etc, I think it might become really messy with a chat-based option.

Looking forward to joining the club!

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
I'll throw this one out because I read it a while back and would like to read it again:

The Time Traveller's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
I'll throw this one out because I read it a while back and would like to read it again:

The Time Traveller's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger

I've read that one. Great book! It took me a bit to get into it because of the diary like style and you really have to pay attention to the entry dates hopping back and forth in time.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Great timing! This is next on my to-read list. I'm in.

It's a great book, and perfect for a book club because it has appeal to both men and women (although probably moreso to women).