Glaring Plot Hole!

GeorgieB

Almost a wannabe writer
Registered
Reaction score
Aaaargh!!! Sometimes, the best plotted and thought out story contains the seed of disaster. Last night, in the middle of a good sleep, I was awakened by the thought that I had missed something important. When I got back to my beautiful 2008 NaNo manuscript, I found it--a plot hole big enough to drive my computer through.

How many AW NaNo-ites have read what you've written? How many of you have found holes in your "logic?" How many of you are beating your head on your keyboard trying to figure out where & how to solve them?

My simple problem-- Both my MMC and FMC have separate houses where they live alone. The MMC is 'involved' with the woman next door (my antagonist). The MMC and FMC really need to get their thingies together, but I'VE KEPT THEM AWAY FROM EACH OTHER'S HOUSE FOR NO GOOD REASON!!! AAARRGGH! Somehow I must find reasons why they've never 'visited' each other at their houses, only at their jobs.

I think that by the time I fill the hole I'll have written another 10-15K. But, I'm not giving my certificate back -- It's already hung on the wall.

Other than this, I'm having a really quiet, peaceful, rainy morning.

Reaction score
Hey, that certificate's yours. You earned it.

From your cold, dead hand. ;)

Meerkat

Claims the loan was a gift
Registered
Reaction score
"site, place, position" --Roget's Thesaurus
What if the inconvenient distance between the houses was keeping them apart....both work in Manhatten, but one lives in New Jersey, the other Connecticut.....Connectadot.... Conningtower.... The other in New Rochelle.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe it just never occurred to them to visit each other houses. For the same reason it never occurred to you.

Deccydiva

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
Try being interviewed on live radio when the presenter of the programme asks deep questions about your plot on air ... :flag:
I was lucky I had the answers. VERY lucky! :)

GeorgieB

Almost a wannabe writer
Registered
Reaction score
FMC can't have company for a whle because she's having the floors redone.

Problem? Solved!

Actually BenPanced, I thought that since my MMC just bought the house, he's having it painted, and the smell of paint would turn anyone off, right? That would solve my problem with him.

If the FMC were having her floors done at the same time -- that might smack of too-much-coincidence. I was thinking more along the lines that someone from the FMC/MMC's work might live nearby and the FMC doesn't want that person to see him coming and going. Possible, I suppose.

The course of true love is being stymied by this plot hole.

GeorgieB

Almost a wannabe writer
Registered
Reaction score
Try being interviewed on live radio when the presenter of the programme asks deep questions about your plot on air ... :flag:
I was lucky I had the answers. VERY lucky! :)

Good grief! Can we listen--do you have a transcript? I would be hem'ing and haw'ing in that situation.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Fear not, Georgie. After the dust settles, we can go through the entire manuscript and fix up anything that doesn't work. The main thing is that you set out to achieve a seemingly impossible goal...and you did it! Congratulations. Now accept your FIRST DRAFT UGLY and sit yourself down to iron out the kinks. Way to go.

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
How about one of them is allergic to the other's pet?

My niece can't visit my parents' house (her grandparents' house) because she is very allergic to cat fur and they have a huge cat who sheds a lot.

That might solve half of the problem.

Of course, if they eventually get married in the end, they would have to deal with this.

Deccydiva

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
Nano defies all logic and good common decency when it comes to writing fiction.

In other words, the Roadrunner cartoons come to mind -- the hole (or grand canyon) is only there when you look down Dec. 1.

At least you caught it now rather than get a rejection letter because of it :).

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
One of them owns a sick cat that pukes all over the place. Or has torn the carpets to rags.

Problem solved.

Can you tell I have experience at not inviting people over to my house? :D

Dale Emery

is way off topic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dalehartleyemery.com
How many AW NaNo-ites have read what you've written? How many of you have found holes in your "logic?" How many of you are beating your head on your keyboard trying to figure out where & how to solve them?

I've known of lots of big plot holes since before I started writing, and others have become apparent during the writing. I haven't had to read anything to know that. It's obvious as I write.

I'm not beating myself up, but I am dismayed. I've written past the end of my hole-filled outline, and nothing better is showing up. When I don't have some sense of where the next scene is going, I don't have nearly as much fun writing.

I think the major holes in my plot can be fixed, but not before today's 2000 words, or tomorrow's...

Dale

PS. Hole-filled?

Rose English

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The only other thing I can think of is if there were an embarrassing relative/s at either or both characters homes, someone whom they would rather keep 'hidden'. I'm sure your unconscious will come up with something GeorgieB, once it's had a rest.

I'm already aware without looking that my plot was very poor. It didn't really have enough happening in it. But, I did learn to keep going regardless... (gives rueful grin)

Rose English

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oooh, yay, my widgets are showing! (Sorry!)

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Obnoxious roommate at the FMC's? :)

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
Sure. I had absolutely no motivation for anything happening in my NaNo. Out of the blue people started to act jerky and whack each other which led to a death, and that led to guilt, and that led to the inquiry and other stuff-- oy! So I've been putting in a motivation which seems heavy enough for whacking and retaliation & stuff. I like to "island hop" if the plot is not going along, and evidently there will be holes.

GeorgieB

Almost a wannabe writer
Registered
Reaction score
Figured a way out of the mess

Thanks to all the suggestions--I was awakened around 3am with the solution at hand.

My MMC's has just bought a house and the inside walls need to be painted, the wooden floors need to be refinished and new carpets laid. (The previous owners were slobs).

My FMC works with the MMC and owns her own condo. Next door to her lives a rumor starter that really doesn't like either the FMC or the MMC. The MMC can't be seen there.

Problem solved. All I have to do now is sit down, back up and revamp a 66K first draft. But that's why it's called a "First Draft", right?

Thanks to all who suggested fixes. I think the story is too good to bury in a bottom drawer--perhaps with these changes it won't.