Not open for further replies.

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
More crappy publishing news, delivered to my inbox via PublishersLunch:

Bleh.

The Next Domino: Layoffs at S&S
Simon & Schuster has "enacted a reduction in staff in which 35 positions across the company were eliminated, from areas including our publishing divisions and international, operations and sales," according to a memo from ceo Carolyn Reidy.

Despite having "literally examined our budget line-by-line to find those areas large and small where we might further economize," Reidy says "today's action is an unavoidable acknowledgment of the current bookselling marketplace and what may very well be a prolonged period of economic instability. In light of this uncertainty, we must responsibly position ourselves for challenges both near term and long."

Richter to Leave S&S; The Other Applebaum Stays
Simon & Schuster Children's president Rick Richter has resigned "to explore other opportunities in publishing," leaving December 5. He has run the unit since 2003, and has been with Simon & Schuster since 1999. CEO Carolyn Reidy notes that "under his leadership, Children's division revenues have nearly doubled, and the division has grown to become an industry-leading full-service publishing enterprise." She underscores that "children's publishing remains an important and vital part of Simon & Schuster's overall publishing portfolio" and indicates Dennis Eulau will "work with the children's division on day-to-day operational matters" on an interim basis while she finds a successor.

Meanwhile, Carol Schneider at Random House advises that "there's been no change" in Stuart Applebaum's position at Random House. "Because this news involves the departure of his brother and longtime colleague, he decided that he would not take press calls at this time and I am standing in for him."

Finally, note that many other accounts have misreported the status of Doubleday group president and publisher Steve Rubin, indicating that he is definitely leaving the company. As we reported earlier, his position has been eliminated, but Random ceo Markus Dohle is "in discussions" about creating a new job for Rubin at the company. Our earlier edition gave the wrong link for the Rubin memo.

Dismantling of HMH Continues with Firings
Galleycat reports that Ann Patty says she has been "fired" along with "a lot" of other employees at Harcourt Houghton Mifflin, adding to the community's sense that the parent company has simply given up on the trade line. As ever, the company is not commenting. Place your takeover bids now.

If there's more to report, it will be on our home page and the Publishers Lunch Deluxe newsblog.

jscribbles

Who killed my sea monkeys?
Registered
Reaction score
So... Nathan Bransford said in the comments on his blog today that things will still be "business as usual." Moonrat and Colleen Lindsay don't seem to think so, though.

Will you all keep submitting work or wait until things look a little less bleak?

Nandi

Registered
Reaction score
So... Nathan Bransford said in the comments on his blog today that things will still be "business as usual." Moonrat and Colleen Lindsay don't seem to think so, though.

Will you all keep submitting work or wait until things look a little less bleak?
I'd already decided to stop querying until Inauguration Day. After that? Well, the option of withholding my manuscript feels awful. I tell myself that, at some point, agents and publishers will need to have work in the pipeline, so it might as well be mine...and yours!

Status
Not open for further replies.