Trade paperback discussion/rant, okay rant

Stlight

ideas are floating where they will
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of thing
I've tried to like them, but I can't. Here's why-

They are expensive - twice what mass market paperbacks cost.

They don't fit on paperback shelves - had them made to shelve more books

They stick together.

They won't stay open unless you break the spine which means they fall apart faster and have to be replaced.

They are expensive.

They fall out of your lap.

They don't fit in a reasonable sized purse (short person here.)

They are expensive.

Print rarely bigger than in mass market, though margins are. I have my own stack of blank white paper.

Did I mention that they are expensive?

I try to never buy them even if I want the book. I got along without the book before, I can do it now. Sigh.

NOTE:
HarperCollins website has a survey going that asks if you'd mind if they raised their prices. Just thought you'd want to know.

Stlight

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm the opposite. I hate MMP's. Can't stand them. Will risk NEVER reading a book if I can only get it in MMP.

TPB's are my favorite. They look nice. Sure they cost a few extra books, but so what.

Hard covers make me wanna gag.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Strictly my own opinion. Hardbacks are preferable. Trade paperbacks if that is the only format available. Mass market paperbacks, almost never.

MM

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
I've tried to like them, but I can't. Here's why-

They are expensive - twice what mass market paperbacks cost.

They don't fit on paperback shelves - had them made to shelve more books

They stick together.

They won't stay open unless you break the spine which means they fall apart faster and have to be replaced.

They are expensive.

They fall out of your lap.

They don't fit in a reasonable sized purse (short person here.)

They are expensive.

Print rarely bigger than in mass market, though margins are. I have my own stack of blank white paper.

Did I mention that they are expensive?

I try to never buy them even if I want the book. I got along without the book before, I can do it now. Sigh.
... All of the above.

Stlight

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was just thinking the trade paperback market does have an affect on most writers. There are rich enough to not be bothered by the double cost. I congratulate them.
But there are others that don't have the options of doubling their "book money." In my world $14 does not equal $7.

The economics mean that a number, not all of course, but a number of people must choose between one book and two. Royalty wise if the two books were by the same author it doesn't matter whether they sell one trade paperback or two mass market paperbacks. Indeed, they could hope/expect the buyer to come back and buy another TP. But if the books are by two authors, one will get no royalities. I know, that's the way the cards fall - no big.

Are you as willing to try a new author's book for $14 as for $7?

Stlight

Reaction score
If I have the exchange rate correct, $14 is only £7 and as for $7 - if I could get a book for £3:50 I'd be very happy.

I buy most of my books from the local supermarket where paperbacks are £3:86 and trade paperbacks usually around £6-8. Hardbacks usually a tenner.

I certainly don't think that's too much to pay. I don't see the problem.

MsK

Registered
Reaction score
If it's a book I want to read and keep, hardback is my choice.
If it's a book I want to read and then pass along, it would depend on my budget- trade paper back would be my first choice, but I read plenty of MMP's also.
Maybe it's an optical illusion, but I do find the TPB easier on the eyes than the MMP.
I just took a look at my reading pile now and I have 2 hardbacks, 1 TPB, and 3 MMP's waiting for me.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
After doing a little research (very little as a matter of fact) I can honestly say I've never even seen a trade paperback. I've only seen paperbacks that you get in supermarkets and bookstores.

Am I looking for love in all the wrong places?

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
Am I looking for love in all the wrong places?
You should buy my book (strictly for research), which is a trade paperback. It's over at Amazon... :)

Truthfully, I prefer hardbacks most of all...and usually buy them off the remainder racks.
I prefer trade paperbacks to mass paperbacks...easier to keep open, easier to read...

Stlight

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the offer, Aston, your book does look interesting. I've seen them. My own book came out in 2002. It was a Trade paper back. It was the original source of my opinions of TPs.

It was the first one I'd seen. I was horrorified at the price. Small micro press, distribution not much. Since I wouldn't pay that much for a paperback I was embarrassed to ask anyone to - still am.

A paperback shelf is one that is made with shorter spaces between each shelf to shelf to hold more books. You have to make them yourself.

Stlight

Last edited:

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
I only buy Trade Paper Backs. I love the covers. The seem just a bit more sophisticated, are easier to read, and even though they don't fit in purses, I find them easier to hold.