When will you revise your NaNo draft?

Lollypop1407

Registered
Reaction score
Website
fast-paced-fiction.blogspot.com
I still have a bit to go on mine, but unless it goes WILDLY awry, I'm revising. Granted, I think once I'm done it's getting shelved till sometime after New Year's so I can get a little space (and rest! lol). Directly after NaNo I have a RPG I write for online that's starting a whole new chapter. It's posting requirements mean I need to write at least 1800 words a week, which though considerably less than I've been writing this month, should still keep my brain & fingers going.

After Christmas, I'm cracking my first NaNo open & taking a shot at finishing that while I let this year's cool off a bit before edits. It had a few thousand words on it & an interesting premise, I'd like to see if I can finish. Maybe I can revise this year's a time or two after I finish, then go back to that one for a few rounds of edits & maybe if I time it all just right, about the time I'm done it'll be NaNo again, lol.

Deccydiva

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going back to my previous WIP and will get it out in the marketplace. While I am waiting for rejections, I will make a start on the NaNo. ;)

Elidibus

Over 9000!!!!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
No. I can't come out to play. My muse won't let me
First, I'll have to finish my novel, which could take upwards of another week or so, depending. I haven't decided if I want to go in and add those scenes I need to or just wait.

Regardless, once I'm done with it, it'll sit for a little while. I have a short story in DESPERATE need of some revisions (Gotta get that thing down to 25 K and make it awesome to boot) And I have a few other submissions to some other magazines I want to do. After I do all those and they are resting, I'll start polishing my Nano and try to get that beast out of the door sometime soon.

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
I'm still moving and still looking for a job here. I will let it sit a while, then after the first of the year give it a good read and start editing. I don't get to line by line except for obvious grammar/spelling errors (not many of those with me) Most of my editing is usually strengthening and lengthening, and/or cutting out stuff that is just too much-- I know of 2 areas that need the cutting right off the top of my head, and the last 2 chapters are sketchier than I want.

This is, though, the fastest I have ever written a novel, and I am quite amazed that it makes as much sense as it does.

Jiloa

On Purpose
Registered
Reaction score
I'm guessing that my draft will be finished at about 100k words. That last 50k may take anywhere from 1 to 6 months (depending on any number of things), so I'll probably let it sit for a month while I work on other projects.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
I'm very, very afraid of the revisions my NaNo will require. I'm excited by some of the plot line, but getting in into shape will take revisions of a biblical proportion. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep working on this one or abandon it and go back to my previous WIP that was set aside for Nano and other reasons. I'm afraid that if I set my NaNo aside that I'll never get back to it... =/

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Ugh, I'd forgotten how much I hate revising. I'm at 18k words revised right now, out of 62k. So I've still got a loooong way to go. :( bummer

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I've got a good bit more worldbuilding to do, and then some re-outlining. I have no idea what the revision schedule will be -- this is the first time I've gotten this far! (First draft I can see how to revise)

Not the first week of December, though. I'll be cramming for ball dances that week!

ravenlea

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
no revisions for at least six months. I put aside another novel to work on my nano and now have to compete it. But even if I didn't have one waiting in the wings, I wouldn't touch it. It needs to sit and I need to step away. There are some things I know I wrote that should be deleted right now, but if I did that, i'd lose half of what I wrote. So if I let it sit, new ideas come to me when I finally do get around to revising. Sometimes it makes the secens better, sometimes I end up starting all over and shredding the novel. But I always give myself at least six months before I take out the red pen and scissors.

raven

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
My Nano is going to need a LOT of work, but I'm good at tweaking. Not so much writing out the first draft, so I'm not worried about starting.

That said, I'll probably start in on it in December, but my main focus is going to be lots and lots of reading, "studying" and fill-in-the-blank research so my second draft efforts are as useful as possible.