I Think I Injured Myself at NaNo...

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
Yesterday was a fairly prolific day (most words I've had during NaNo), but I think I was sitting at my computer too long. All afternoon, I've had a sore shoulder and neck that I can't get rid of.

Unfortunately, I still have over 10K words to go...and still have a few to go for the daily goal.

Reaction score
Do some light exercises every 20 minutes. Roll your shoulders, stretch your legs, get up and walk about for a bit.

And while you're up, put the kettle on. I'm parched.

Deccydiva

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
Luckily, my dogs demand to be taken out at 10.30, 13.00, 15.30, 19.00, 21.30 and 23.00. Four of these only involve me letting them out of the door, the other two are two mile walks which was a lot of fun this morning in a hailstorm. I eat at odd times, watch a bit of TV and yes, put the kettle on regularly.
The only ailment that has been aggravated is something... err... that hurts a bit when I sit down. In fact it's a pain in the *** Just need more tea... :e2coffee:

Inkspill

Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes I heat up a microwaveable pack for my back.
I get up frequently for the bathroom and snacks.
I tried to walk at least two miles a day, and this week I'm biking about four miles per day.
I stretch or walk around every two hours or so during writing sessions.

Hope you feel better!

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
When you get to where you're going, take off your shoes, make fists in the carpet with your feet, and kill all the german terrorists you meet.

astonwest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
When you get to where you're going, take off your shoes, make fists in the carpet with your feet, and kill all the german terrorists you meet.
Not that sure about the rest of it (since I'm not as buff as Bruce Willis), but the last part sounds very therapeutic.

I've been working with alternating a heat pad and an ice pack most of the afternoon. My wife fancies herself good at massaging, but only made it worse. :rolleyes:

Hoping it goes away by morning...just in time for the regular Monday madness at work.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
I have arthritis in one shoulder, so I feel your pain (literally).

I find that a hot shower helps, as well just getting away from the computer, moving/stretching occasionally, etc. Acupuncture is my fallback for most aches/pains, but in general, heat and movement help.

All else fails, a massage from a willing member of the your preferred gender. I recommend a drummer if one is readily available...

Tigercub

Registered
Reaction score
I get awful backaches across my shoulder blades. I've found that those disposable heat pads help. They really do last several hours.

Sometimes it's so bad, though, and often accompanied by a headache, that only a Vicodin can help.

Fresie

She Who Runs The Waves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
galaktio-nova.blogspot.com
Professional hazard. From what I know, performing pianists also get it a lot, and seamstresses.

Consider yourself lucky you don't have to use mechanical typewriters any more! Then you would have your fingertips splitting, as well. Hurts like hell :) I used to have it all the time in my early pre-computer writing days.

Last edited:

astonwest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
Still have the neck and shoulder pains...now the cold I thought was going away is coming back.

Thank goodness I only have around 7K words to go...then I can rest and recuperate.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I get awful backaches across my shoulder blades. I've found that those disposable heat pads help. They really do last several hours.

I have a reusable one that I can microwave. I'm quite sore right now across the shoulders and back and neck--I think I'll go heat it up, then go to bed. See you all in the morning.