The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Contest] Writer's Digest

practical experience, FTW Jeffrey Pace's Avatar

[Contest] Writer's Digest

I'm curious about the reputation WD compettions hold around here. The money they offer for placing high is nice, and of course the credit on your bio would always be great, but first prize receives a self-publishing package as well??

In the opinion of this board, are these contests for say worthwhile, or would your hard work be better utilized by submitting your tales for publication to magazines instead of entering them in their contest?

Thanks so much

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Blueridge's Avatar
    Jeffrey, if I'm not mistaken, there was a thread about this not too long ago on Poets & Writers' forum, the Speakeasy, and the consensus seemed to be that the odds of winning are so slim, that one is better of submitting directly to the magazine or journal.

I went through a contest-entering phase a few years ago, and was surprised at how quickly all those entry fees added up. The best I ever got was a couple of honorable mentions by smaller contests--with no prize money. I choose not to enter contests anymore, but others may have a different perspective.

practical experience, FTW Jeffrey Pace's Avatar
    Thanks so much. I did some more digging on here and elsewhere and would have to say that your opinion is pretty unanimous.

Thanks again. Love this place.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

practical experience, FTW tprevost's Avatar

Writer's Digest Writing Competition

Has anyone entered or had experience with this competition?

I stopped entering a long time ago, the odds were too slim as mentioned above.

practical experience, FTW
    I entered their Popular Fiction Awards last year, and never again. Waste of time for me.

My advice is to read the stories that win in detail. Then write exactly like those stories. The same type of stories seem to win every year.

You might be better off entering one of the contests held by "Writer's Journal." I've actually won one of theirs.

Writer's Digest Short Story Competition

Apparently it's funded by a vanity press. I've found this out from here: http://leegoldberg.typepad.com/a_wri...rs-digest.html

The grand prize's $3,000, so no wonder people are willing to part with the 15 bucks it costs to submit an entry, heh. Writer's Digest is a pretty big name, however, so does anyone have any information on the validity of this contest?

Thanks!
    "Membranes are not castle walls
    to stop the fusion between
    parts of the system"
    — Dóra Gabriella Sós

Rejoining the Butt in Chair Club RitrChick's Avatar
    In 2007, I placed #21 out of over 8,000 entries in this contest. It was for a women's fiction story that I wrote in less than a day. I entered on a whim and am so thrilled I did. If anything, it was a little slice of talent validity in a business that can be so crushing.

Not sure how the cred will look on a query, but hey, it can't hurt.
    Write as if your DREAMS depended on it--because they do!

practical experience, FTW

Question contests in writer's Digest

Hello, so I was flipping through writers Digest and found contests for books, but most of it said they take short fiction. I'm wondering if that means short stories, or is there another type of fiction I'm not familiar with?

figuring it all out

Writer's Digest Competition

A friends of mine forwarded information to me regarding the "Writer's Digest Writing Competition." I noticed there is a fee for entering, which I thought somewhat odd.

Is this common when entering competitions? Can anyone offer any insight into this particular one?

Thanks in advance.