word of mouth

Status
Not open for further replies.

michelle25

Registered
Reaction score
My novel is unpublished (welcome to the club, right?) I workshopped it through a critique group, submitted to hundreds of agents with just a couple partial requests, and sorta hit a dead end. However, whenever I talk about my book with people (co-workers, acquaintences, strangers...), they all seem really enthusiastic about it and say they'd like to read it. I often have to tell people it's not published but I appreciate their interest. Is there any reason why I shouldn't go nuts and give it to everyone who asks to read it? Could it help me in any way as far as getting it out there in the world? It wouldn't be for sale, but sometimes people can make money off of something that was originally for free, right? (Depending on word of mouth). I guess I kinda want to self-publish but am scared and haven't done enough research on it to know if it'd be the best thing. (But that's another topic in itself - I'm just interested in whether there's a benefit to giving it to people to read).

Deccydiva

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
My own view is, give it to people who will give you an unbiased critique then you may find out why the professionals are turning it down, then perhaps you can fix it and try again. That is, if you want to have it published commercially. If you just want a few copies for friends, then take a look at POD services. There is a section for that down nearer the bottom of the Index here (sorry I don't know how to do links). For critique, go to the "Share Your Work" section and see what opinions you get from people who will judge your writing and not you. Friends and acquaintances are really not the best people to do this simply because they would naturally want to encourage you and are not looking at it in the same way as an Agent would. Someone you don't know will look at it as an Agent or publisher will, which is far more useful if you want to go that route.
Good luck!

M.C.BROWN

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Deccyciva, Unbiased critique. I am finding it difficult to find that however. Your lucky to have people who will set aside the time for that. I can't even get my family to do it for me. My father in law has a book published and has given me a limited amount of guidance. Be patient. Maybe you could start on your next novel while you wait.

Cybernaught

Decker
Registered
Reaction score
It depends on the family member. As I mentioned in another thread, I don't give anything to my mother for serious critique. She would frame my daily planner. But if you can find a friend or family member who will offer an objective critique, then go for it.

And don't self-publish unless you've researched it to death. Self-publishing isn't for everyone.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with all those who have posted before me. Let me add one thing I've found very helpful. When I give a manuscript to selected people to read and critique I make a point of asking them to make note of the things THEY DON'T LIKE about my work (i.e., if confusing, where and why, if too long or short where, if something doesn't make sense, if they wanted more explanation, and so on). Knowing what negatives to look at, especially if they are repeated by a few people, is more helpful to me than hearing good things, although that's okay also.

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Where do you find all these people who are eager to read your novel? Sheesh, when I tell people I'm writing a book they change the subject. :rolleyes:

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't give up! Right place at the right time. Harry Potter was rejected more than that.

Give it to someone to read and see what they have to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.