Status
Not open for further replies.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I think when one is famous, one has to be careful. But that doesn't mean just sitting back and shutting up. I write for kids. And darn it I'll take the opportunity to promote things I believe in, like girls having self esteem, and that it's okay to read. Just today I met a girl who told me outright as I gave her an autograph that she hated her name. It was a lovely name, and I told her as much, and tried to show her how even aesthetically on the page it was lovely. I don't know if she cared, but I know that if someone I admired had said something to me like that I would have listened and appreciated it.

So yes, maybe actors spewing their views as if they have all the answers can get annoying, but what about listening to someone like Stephen Fry? A man who quite obviously has a brain, and knowledge on a myriad of subjects. Should I just say to him, "Shut up and write/act"? Why would I? He's more intelligent than I am, funnier than I am, I'd quite frankly like to hear what he has to say.

It's about making choices. I won't swear in front of kids even though I love swearing normally. I have very specific religious and political views that I rarely share because I have no need to, nor do I much feel like alienating people who might otherwise read my books (that are, at least as of now, free from such topics). On the other hand I am a firm believer in women's rights, and will talk about that even if some might disagree because I truly feel I am pretty knowledgeable on the subject, and I am in a position to really get kids to think about these kinds of things.

Edmontonian - I get what you are saying. Why should I care what Matt Damon says about Sarah Palin? I don't, he's not in politics, and it is just one man's opinion. On the other hand I DO care about what he has to say about his charitable organisation One X One, because I know how active he is in the cause, and how much money he has raised for it. It's about not making sweeping judgments about people. There are authors I find fascinating, Stephen King is actually very interesting to listen to when it comes to cultural commentary. He is very plugged into the current climate and offers often some very unique insight into tired topics (like Ms. Spears). I have actually never read any of his books but seen him talk twice and watched videos on youtube. For me he is a social commenter first, author second. There are idiot actors out there, there are genius actors out there. I went to many drama schools and met many fellow students who used to be doctors. Does that mean that when they are famous actors they can't have an opinion on medicine?

I love the fact that people are three dimensional. I love the fact that suddenly an actor who you thought was merely that turns out to have grown up in rural Africa or something. Don't judge a book by its cover. It's not as fun a game as you think.

Last edited:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I would find that very hard to stick to, to be honest. The characters might have their own little worldviews, but the overarching story would reflect the values I believe in. I could not play false to them.

But then again, mostly I write out of anger.

Truth be told, most of my longer works have overall story arcs that reflect my personal philosophies and my views on the grand scheme of things: human nature, politics, relationships, etc. But I've also only written 1.5 novels so far (one published, one half-written WIP) and they're both dramas. Still, my novels are complex enough that they include all types of characters and all types of behaviors. My next novel is going to be very different (a thriller/suspense) and I'm eager to use it to explore human behaviors and opposing politics, religions, etc. that may be very different from mine.

My short stories are all over the map, however. There's a werewolf one that didn't end the way you may expect. I have one about a father killing his son. And I have another one about an author taking revenge on his critics. I have another one from the POV of a lesbian. They don't necessarily reflect my own personal views and preferences or my personalities, but they offer me a chance to look from other angles on human behaviors and psychology.

Last edited:

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
Let's stop for a minute and not generalize.

Let's talk about YOU! The question is: What would you do if YOU were famous? Do you think YOU should keep your mouth shut? Do YOU think your opinions should or should not matter because you're famous?
I think I'd voice my opinion freely on any subject in private. However, if I were famous I'd think twice before saying anything unless I was thoroughly familiar with a given topic and felt confident I knew what I was talking about.

Revelationz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Well.... you have the right to do what you damn well wish. But, then, you have the responsibility of living with the consequences.

Let's focus on a writer. If I was a famous writer, should I voice my opinions? Well, take this into consideration- what audience do you typically write to? Is your fanbase liberal or conservative? Or does it span both? Are they religious or seculuar? Both? While I have the right to say what I believe, I'd also have to live with the consequences of possibly pissing off my following. Like when the Dixie Chicks announced proudly they were against the Iraq War. THey had every right, but was it a good idea?

You just have to use your head, and weigh your options. Voicing your opinion doesn't necessarily mean your fans will turncoat or boycot you, but in the right atmosphere they may.

Kitrianna

Official Bad Cat's Prez
Registered
Reaction score
In one of THOSE moods. Look out people, no one is
Last time I checked everyone has the right to have their own opinion and they have the right to speak it. We all have the right not to agree with it and the right to express that disagreement. Telling someone to go back to whatever it is that they do because we disagree with what they have to say is a bit much, but we are allowed to do so.

That having been said, I have no problem voicing my opinion on things, provided I know something about the topic in question. If I don't, I won't. It just isn't right to spout off about a topic that I have no information on. I can not see that changing no matter what happens in my life.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I haven't read through all the replies here so I'll just say I don't have a problem with a writer (or anyone really) voicing their opinions as long as they do it with some grace. By that I mean, don't beat the reader or viewer over the head with what you believe. One of the reasons I gave up on Dean Koontz several years ago was because I got bored with the way his holier than thou attitude kept coming up in his work.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Let's focus on a writer. If I was a famous writer, should I voice my opinions? Well, take this into consideration- what audience do you typically write to? Is your fanbase liberal or conservative? Or does it span both? Are they religious or seculuar? Both? While I have the right to say what I believe, I'd also have to live with the consequences of possibly pissing off my following. Like when the Dixie Chicks announced proudly they were against the Iraq War. THey had every right, but was it a good idea?

Certainly one must be careful, especially considering his or her following. The problem with the Dixie Chicks isn't that they spoke their minds (and I happened to agree with them) but that they mixed politics with entertainment, and in the process alienate their core audience (which were pro-Bush and pro-war at the time). While I applauded them for having their own opinions and not going with the flow, I did think they made a very bad mistake and underestimated the power of backlash. But in the long run, I think they showed integrity and were able to come back from the consequences. And in the long run, probably they gained new admirers, too, who wouldn't otherwise buy their records and go to their concerts.

Same with OSC -- he underestimated his fan-base when he spewed his anti-gay opinions, and that has cost him.

Also, I think it's easier to talk about what you're FOR instead of what you're AGAINST. Had OSC talked about his views on traditional family values, etc. he probably wouldn't have suffered the kind of backlash he did with his anti-gay rhetoric. Same with the Dixie Chicks -- if they had been for "peaceful resolutions and diplomacy" instead of criticizing Bush, they would probably have come out unscathed.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
What happened to the Dixie Chicks is also a demonstration of how much more careful one has to be if one is in the limelight. It isn't just a matter of not mixing politics with performance, it's also a matter of realising even the smallest tossed away line, can change the course of your life. I don't know if any of you have seen the documentary about the incident: "Shut up and sing" (you should, it is fantastic), but you get to see the moment where they diss Bush. It's a one liner, at a concert in England (I highly doubt they would have said the same thing in the states), and everyone cheers and applauds after it is said. It was so obviously spur of the moment and not planned at all*. And it totally changed the nature of their career.

* SPOILER for the film

- though at the end of the film, the girls are back on tour and return to the scene of the crime, and . . . she says the exact same thing. So that was obviously pre-meditated. It's actually pretty darn awesome.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
And the Dixie Chicks are doing just fine, sales-wise. And so is Toby Keith, who espoused completely opposite views.

People can say what they want. And other people can decide whether to listen to them or not. Kanye West campaigned for Obama; Daddy Yankee campaigned for McCain. I'm guessing that this is going to make zero difference to either performer's CD sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.