Status
Not open for further replies.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Do you think you should keep your political views, personal opinions, etc. hidden from the public?

Whenever an actor or director says something political, we usually hear the response: Go back to acting/making movies; keep your opinions to yourself; what makes you an expert?

But why? Shouldn't those people (and we, as writers) have the same right as anyone else to voice our opinions? And just because they're famous doesn't mean we have to listen to or agree with them.

Or is it true that when you become famous, your words mean more and may affect more people, so you need to be very careful of what you say?

Do you think, as a famous person, your words and your actions would have more impact on other people's lives -- strangers who happen to be fans of your work -- and that you have extra responsibility to weigh every word you say in public (including on the Internet)?

Last edited:

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I want to remain a nobody. We never get picked on while under the scrutiny of people who voice opinions about opinions who also secretly want to be famous for voicing opinions about people who voice opinions. Celebs are higher in ranking than those of us who are not. I suppose they think so anyways. I just don't get it.

Everyone should carry around their opinions in a pillow case and sleep on them for a few days before they let them out. Yes?

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think they should have to shut up about things like that. With that said, what I will say is that if they know they have a large following, I think they should be responsible with their remarks, knowing that it can influence other people, whether or not what they say actually SHOULD influence someone or not.

The folks hanging around P&CE are largely familiar with my politics, but I keep 'em off the blog. Maybe that's a false division, but I see this place as hanging out with my friends, more casual-like. A blog is part of my public persona, I guess you could say, and that I want to keep as on-topic and non-controversial as possible. Because I don't want to alienate potential readers by talking about politics, which are so divisive. I know I've been put off by some strident political opinions I've seen by some writers and other publishing people. Not enough to not read their work, but the thought crossed my mind. If it was offensive enough, I would, though.

/long winded answer

myscribe

Who's the ninja now?!?
Registered
Reaction score
Corner of my mind (in a nice padded room)
As long as you know what you're talking about, I don't have a problem with opinions of celebs or regular peeps.

I do have a problem with celebrities thinking they "know" what the rest of us should think or do just because they are famous.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And if you think about it opinions have ranks too. If you're a celeb and you have a high ranking opinion then it's golden. But don't say something unpopular, Sharon Stone.

Aren't we all going to listen to the new president while sitting on the edge of our seats?

I'm scrutinizing! Just cause I didn't vote for him.

The truth be told. By a nobody. :D

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Y'know, I don't think I've ever seen an interview with a writer that's dealt with anything outside of their work or adaptations of their work. Professionals of our craft just don't seem to have as many avenues to voice their personal opinions about things like politics, etc, as professionals in other arts.

I wonder if that's because so many of our personal opinions end up in our work and people feel as if they already know what we'd say.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
I do think there's an extra responsibility there. There's no denying that with fame comes a certain amount of influence--sad but true. I don't think that it needs to equate to wholesale self-ceonsoring per se (although there are some celebs that I dearly wish would keep their fat mouths shut) but there needs to be at least a modicum of understanding that what you say can influence the way other people think.

Also there's a big difference for me between a celeb with a cause and a celeb who just likes to hear himself talk. There are good uses for the fame of celebrity--JK Rowling has donated buckets of money to MS research and literacy projects and brought a lot of people to follow her lead. That's very good example of a celebrity writer understanding the power of her influence and using it for the greater good.

Vastly different from Hollywood fat cats who threaten to immigrate if the candidate they prefer doesn't get elected. *coughSusanSarandoncough*

Reaction score
I don't see why well known folks should keep it zipped just because - shock horror - others might hear them voice an opinion!

One person I feel for, even though I am of a different faith or religion, is the Archbishop of Canterbury. If he stays silent on an issue, people say, "He should lead! He should lead!" When he speaks, people say, "He should shut up and read his Bible! He should shut up and read his Bible!"

So he can't win, and though I disagree with both his politics and faith, I feel for the man. I honestly do.

Everyone has the right to an opinion, famous or not. Whether you choose to voice it is up to you, but no one should be condemned or even criticised for this.

Edmontonian

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, keep your mouth shut!

Yes, keep your mouth shut! What does a rockstar know about global warming? What does a movie star know about Africa's AIDS problems? These people are famous for their guitar-playing abilities or for showing their face (or other parts of their body) on the big screen, not for their intellect or progressive thinking. Please, stick to doing what you are famous for and shut up on issues you know nothing about!

On the other hand, of course actors and writers have opinions on anything under the sun, but they should not use their status of a famous person to push other agendas that have nothing to do with what they make a living. It's like me, a writer, saying that we should ban assault rifles from the hands of the public in the States and press my fans to stop buying them.

If actors and writers want to talk to their kids, friends, relatives, family members, who love them regardless of what they do in life (at least, I would hope so), about their views, I'm fine we that. Just don't shove it down the throat of folks who can't tell the difference between acting and real life.

Thanks,

ED

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Yes, keep your mouth shut! What does a rockstar know about global warming? What does a movie star know about Africa's AIDS problems? These people are famous for their guitar-playing abilities or for showing their face (or other parts of their body) on the big screen, not for their intellect or progressive thinking. Please, stick to doing what you are famous for and shut up on issues you know nothing about!

*Snipped for brevity, bolding mine*

ED

Bono, among others, knows a lot about global warming and Hollywood has been at the forefront of the AIDS movement since the eighties.

tehuti88

Mackinac Island Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkspot.com
I'm always careful of what I say. I hate rocking the boat. Thus it would be nothing new to me to watch my mouth if I were famous, and to not give my opinion on certain matters unless 1. specifically asked for it or 2. giving it in the context of my work. (For example, I have gay characters in my work and I write them favorably, so my stance on that issue is rather clear.)

Celebrities have as much right to share opinions as others, and I always found the whole "Go back to what you know!" bit kind of puzzling. Some celebrities do know what they're talking about. I'd save the criticism for celebrities who really DON'T know what they're talking about. (They usually make themselves obvious.) And in truth, I don't give any more credence to their opinions than to anyone else's. They can be just as wrong or stupid as a regular person can be correct or smart. I just believe in tact and courtesy when sharing an opinion; that's all that really matters.

(Though I realize opinions in themselves are never "right" or "wrong," they just are. Something more people should realize. *has been lambasted plenty of times for having the "wrong" opinion*)

So if I were famous, I'd be just as careful to watch what I say, but I wouldn't hide my opinions if I felt I had a need to express them.

Last edited:

Edmontonian

Registered
Reaction score
Of course

- Bono, among others, knows a lot about global warming and Hollywood has been at the forefront of the AIDS movement since the eighties.

Of course he knows, it's a great publicity stunt.

Thanks,

ED

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com

It doesn't stop all of us writers from expressing our opinions here. :) Or should we just go back to writing stories...

(that's actually not a bad idea -- I need to get back to work)

But I hope you're joking, because otherwise you're reducing people to only what they do for a living. So Harrison Ford is only a face and body? He shouldn't have a brain? And he shouldn't express his opinions because you just want him to be a movie star? And like mscelina said, some people like Bono (whom I've met) are very articulate and knowledgeable in these world affairs. So, just because they sing and play the guitar, they suddenly don't have brains?

I really don't understand that kind of thinking -- on, one hand, we scrutinize celebrities for being dumb, but when a smart one starts to talk, we tell them: "Go back to making movies/music/writing fiction."

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Of course he knows, it's a great publicity stunt.

Thanks,

ED

No it's not. Gosh, you have no idea of what you're talking about. I happen to have met Bono -- he's not just doing this for publicity.

Maybe we should all go back to our writing, because what do WE know?

Reaction score
Maybe you were being sarcastic, but in case not...

Yes, keep your mouth shut! What does a rockstar know about global warming? What does a movie star know about Africa's AIDS problems?

No more or less than you do.

These people are famous for their guitar-playing abilities or for showing their face (or other parts of their body) on the big screen, not for their intellect or progressive thinking.

Oh really? So being famous for one thing means you can't be interested in another? Celebrities are supposed to be one-dimensional?

And yet when they branch out into areas on which lesser mortals are allowed to have an opinion, they're criticised for it.

Please, stick to doing what you are famous for...

Why? So you can shut them up in a little box marked 'actor' or 'singer' and stop them doing anything else?

...and shut up on issues you know nothing about!

First of all, why should they?

Secondly, who says they know nothing about any given subject?

On the other hand, of course actors and writers have opinions on anything under the sun, but they should not use their status of a famous person to push other agendas that have nothing to do with what they make a living. It's like me, a writer, saying that we should ban assault rifles from the hands of the public in the States and press my fans to stop buying them.

If you want to say that, you have every right to do so and I'd never try to stop you having that opinion, whether I agree with it or not.

Celebrities should be afforded the same courtesy of free speech.

Just don't shove it down the throat of folks who can't tell the difference between acting and real life...

Since when was voicing your opinion the same as shoving it down others' throats?

Reaction score
I resemble that remark!

(Besides...it wasn't an opinion; it was a request for clarification...)

But I respect and defend your right to be wrong. :D

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
Do you think you should keep your political views, personal opinions, etc. hidden from the public?
Yes.

Whenever an actor or director says something political, we usually hear the response: Go back to acting/making movies; keep your opinions to yourself; what makes you an expert?
The people leveraging him because of his position in the media space and the opportunities he gets to be seen by millions of people. Dennis Rodman is probably the best example of this. Once he left the NBA, he was less than nobody. Those people make him an "expert" then send him out in to the world armed with "knowledge."

But why? Shouldn't those people (and we, as writers) have the same right as anyone else to voice our opinions? And just because they're famous doesn't mean we have to listen to or agree with them.
Our "opinions" have an audience of our friends and families. Their "audience" can potentially be millions of people. If Jay-Z wears a watch, it sells watches. If I wear a watch, no one gives a fuck except my wife. She wants the watch to match my clothes. The variable is different. Your comparison is faulty; apples and oranges, and it has everything to do with access to mass media. And don't confuse a blog read by 19 people a month with mass media.

Or is it true that when you become famous, your words mean more and may affect more people, so you need to be very careful of what you say?
See above.

Do you think, as a famous person, your words and your actions would have more impact on other people's lives -- strangers who happen to be fans of your work -- and that you have extra responsibility to weigh every word you say in public (including on the Internet)?
Yes. As a celebrity commodity, you don't belong to yourself. You belong to an agent, a publicist, an employer and a host of other people who help keep your universe on even keel until the Schlitz and the talent runs out. And then you just go back to being a guy with a blog that reaches 19 people a month. Ask Tony Orlando. Ask Dave Coulet.

Finally, we (those who are not celebrities and have no access to mass media) make the mistake that celebrities/people of powrer MUST speak for "the people" and "causes" when they reach a pinnacle. And that's such crap. Tiger Woods gets this rap all the time: he's got to do more for the black community because of his position. He's a golfer and a savvy business man. Nothing more. That he chooses to devote some of his monies to charitble causes is noble (and a tax break). However, we've never seen his politics, religion or sex views. Nor have we seen those of Tom Brady, Michael Phelps, Dan Brown or John Grisham.

In any case, the fallacy is this: it's OUR mistake to believe that celebrities have to "stand up and do something" when they become famous. And when they don't, we believe them lesser people. That's crap. They can choose or not choose. What we want is for them to choose wisely, say smart, well informd things and actually make a difference in the causes they support. Otherwise, please -- STFU.

Last edited:

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm. I can't even imagine being so famous that my opinions even matter to the general public. I really can't. I don't hear that much coming from authors now, even the widely known ones. So...I don't know. I don't think I'd keep my opinions to myself, but I also don't think I'd shout them from the rooftops or rant about them on my blog. Then again, even if I'm famous I don't want a blog. I want to be like I am now only with my books on the shelves (and hopefully in readers' eager hands...)

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Let's stop for a minute and not generalize.

Let's talk about YOU! The question is: What would you do if YOU were famous? Do you think YOU should keep your mouth shut? Do YOU think your opinions should or should not matter because you're famous?

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
I don't mind people (celebrities included) expressing their religious/political/other views in a non-offensive way. Everyone has the right to do that. The only difference is that the average person's voice won't be on CNN but that of a celebrity would get around. That does not steal their independence.

What I dislike is preaching and lecturing on such topics.

On a whole though, I never follow celebrity news. To me, they're just people. I read books, watch movies, recognize them on TV etc....but don't rave about them nor do I care about their personal lives.

What would I do? I would not speak of any such thing.

Reaction score
...In any case, the fallacy is this: it's OUR mistake to believe that celebrities have to "stand up and do something" when they become famous...

No one here is saying celebrities have to stand up and do anything.

What I am saying is they have a right to if they should so choose.

If I was famous, I'd carry on voicing my opinions just as I do now. If anyone told me to STFU, well - that's their right; just as I would have the right to ignore them.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
But Jason, what if your blog reaches tens of thousands of people?

Would you change the way your blog? the things you blog about? Would you now stop talking about politics, personal views, etc. on your blogs?

Just curious.

personally, if I become a famous author/filmmaker/whatever, I probably would put on a self-censor more readily because I'd realize I have a wider audience. I may talk less about the negative (what pisses me off, or why some people are jerks, etc.) but focus more on the positive. I may stop talking about certain things completely. I would not, however, pretend to be something I'm not just to please my fans, or say something that I don't believe in simply to make them like me.

but what's great about being an author/filmmaker/musician/artist is that our views are often included in our works anyway. It's going to be part of the person's public persona (for example, Chricton's views on the environment, King's political and religious views). Seldom does a writer go off line and spiel something completely different -- some do, and I try to respect them for their views even if I don't agree with them. Some, however, are so radical that I don't see how I can read their work without thinking on their personal views. Then again, I'm sure there are people who agree with them and would happily buy their works. To each his own.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.