Jed's Super-Dooper 'Ask a Mod' Thread (for all your Newbie Questions)

JDlugosz

Registered
Reaction score
How do I get a list of all the threads I'm participating in, those I started and those I posted on, to see if there are any new replies to just those things I'm following?

Every other forum I'm in does this naturally and automatically. I can't even find a list that I can navigate to.

Alexbkirk

Registered
Reaction score
I'm new here and was wondering if there was a place to post a draft of my life prologue to my book for people to give feed back on? I haven't read through the whole for so I'm sorry if a famlilar question has already been asked.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I'm new here and was wondering if there was a place to post a draft of my life prologue to my book for people to give feed back on? I haven't read through the whole for so I'm sorry if a famlilar question has already been asked.
If you scroll down the main page index, you'll see Share Your Work (the password is vista) which has a Memoir | Autobiography SYW sub-forum, if that's what you mean by life prologue.

You're required to make 50 posts before you can start a new thread in Share Your Work. See here for the reason(s) why.

-Derek

stiiiiiv

Awww nuts!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone walk me through the steps for updating and editing the title to a thread I've created. I know how to update a post and edit it, but it would make life easier if I could do the same to the thread's title.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Steve

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
I'm not a mod, but since I raised it for you, I'll answer it. :)

If you hit "edit post" your original post, you'll see an option to "Go advanced." Hit that, and it'll let you edit the thread title.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Aussie zebra is wise

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There is no best beta reader. Please go to the beta reader forum. There is a thread of those who are willing to beta read. They give the genres they read, turn around time, level of critique etc.

It is best for you to become a contributing part of the AW community before asking members to give their time to help you. It is also good to offer to beta read for others. Spend some time in that forum and others, getting to know people, becoming part of AW, then ask of it.

David R

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you regdog, one more question. I just posted #13447 in Thread: What's On Your Mind About Your Writing? about collaboration. Is there a thread on that topic I am not seeing?

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure these are newbie questions, or that they are germane for this forum, but maybe I can be directed to the best places to ask these questions (if this thread is not the best option).

1. How does one find out sales information of literary agents and/or agencies? If it is a Website, is it still up and running?

2. I've been through all the agencies on the LMP Website. I'll research others on Amazon Charts. Many agents/agencies, of those that specify MS format, appear to follow a loose Chicago Style format (instead of APA, MLA, other). If agencies do not specify, what recommendations do people have with MS format (for submission to literary agencies)?

3. "just_a_girl" posted something interesting. Does anyone have any feedback of this matter (and how to avoid this happening to new writers)? http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?8590-Susan-Schulman-A-Literary-Agency/page2

4. For new writers, what is the bare minimum (and recommended adds) to a social-media, public platform (if agencies request your marketing strategy)?

5. The novel/novelist industry seems so predatory. For $2,500, film and TV writers can join WGA for some protections. Does something like this (a collective; union) for new and/or established novelists; if yes, can you provide more information?

Thanks

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The answers to these questions are in multiple forums across the board. You can start in Bewares, Backgrounds for information on agents, and publishers. Forums like Ask the Agent, and Roundtable may also be of help. Use the search function in those forums. Spend some time looking at the different rooms.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Hello regdog

I'll hunt around when the forum gets back online. Thanks for the points. I may ask if I cannot find one, after the downtime. Cheers.

Last edited:

Dreamsage

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings my dear Mods!
I have a rather hard question (I hope here is the right place).
I am interested in writing comics. However, the relevant forums don't seem to be too active. Can you suggest me some other way to move my work around? Like the "write1 sub1" challenge, or some place dedicated to plots, or even to turn my comic in a story and upload? I'm new (obv) so I'm not sure how to act here.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Write 1 Sub 1 is good, as is the weekly prompts in the different genre forums. The Flash Fiction Challenge in Writing Prompts is another way. That room is password protected. The password is flashed

RunForPresentense

Registered
Reaction score
I have a question! :chores
What're the social mores around here about rep points? Do you rep everyone who crits (that seems obvious!). If you get a rep, should you rep back? Is it...normal to rep someone for good editing work? Is there some meter of "this person has this many posts and no reps, they clearly suck at life and they probably can't breathe with their mouth closed"? Also, do you get rep points for repping others?
/end overanalysis

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You can give rep points if you like what someone has posted. Thank a member for a crit, if they answered a question, to ask a member a question, if you'd like to say hi to member you've gotten to know. Some members chat via rep points. It's up to you really.

paradoxikay

everything happens so much
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen a few people now with links to their books in their signatures - but with the titles altered slightly (numbers in place of vowels, mostly). What purpose does that serve?

sandree

Registered
Reaction score
If you are doing a crit in SYW, how do you put your line edit comments inside the quote box? Is it usual to color your comments red? How do you do that? I tried but failed to get this to work - maybe because I am on my iPad??

Thanks!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you are doing a crit in SYW, how do you put your line edit comments inside the quote box? Is it usual to color your comments red? How do you do that? I tried but failed to get this to work - maybe because I am on my iPad??

Thanks!

Use the Go Advanced button to give yourself more room. Move your cursor into the quote book and when you wanted to write in a different color click the A in the upper buttons, that will give you a drop down menu option of colors, select the color you want and do your line by line. You will have to post something outside the quote box before clicking submit reply or it won't be able to go through.

Tatikitchi

Registered
Reaction score
So does any critiquing go on here? If so where?
I have my book its only 4 chapters long (about 24 pages) and I'm looking for people more experienced than me to possibly give me their thoughts and point me in the right direction.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Share Your Work is a place for critiques and we have a Beta Reader Forum. Share Your Work is password protected, the password is vista.
Both SYW and the Beta Reader forum do require members to have 50 substantive posts. Quick one word greetings, or rushing to 50 posts is not allowed. Members must become part of the AW community, giving as well as asking of it.