Jed's Super-Dooper 'Ask a Mod' Thread (for all your Newbie Questions)

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
It means that at least one post has been deleted for whatever reason.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score

HannahMerryll

Registered
Reaction score
I have a question: In which forum can I ask someone who's been around awhile about genre? I say "been around while" because I think I really have a puzzler on my hands here.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you are asking about a specific genre, say romance, you would ask in that forum. If you are unsure of the genre, Roundtable and Basic Writing Questions are always good places to start.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You're welcome

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
At the bottom of the main forum page, there's a link that says View Forum Leaders. That will show you all the moderators. :)

Articulate Lady

Seductive Artist of Words and Ideas
Registered
Reaction score
I know it's in the Newbie's Thread, but when you volunteer for a subscription, (the one with the larger avatars) how big can they be? And I noticed there were three amounts in the "profound voluntary section" are there any special perks involved in those as well?

Also thought of another question, where do you see your reputation stats? Like if you received points and comments, where can they be viewed?

Last edited:

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Articulate Lady.

Everything you ever wanted to know about Voluntary Subscriptions can be found in our FAQ: AW Voluntary Subscriptions. Essentially, though, a subscription to AW is completely voluntary and the benefits—larger mailbox and larger avatar—will accrue to all members as post count grows and the length of time as a registered member increases.

I'm a monthly subscriber and I see this message in my control panel: "Note: The maximum size of your custom image is 200 by 275 pixels or 73.8 KB (whichever is smaller)." So, I'm guessin' that's about the max. The FAQ on Avatars and User Titles is here.

Last edited:

Articulate Lady

Seductive Artist of Words and Ideas
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Articulate Lady.

Everything you ever wanted to know about Voluntary Subscriptions can be found in our FAQ: AW Voluntary Subscriptions. Essentially, though, a subscription to AW is completely voluntary and the benefits—larger mailbox and larger avatar—will accrue to all members as post count grows and the length of time as a registered member increases.

I'm a monthly subscriber and I see this message in my control panel: "Note: The maximum size of your custom image is 200 by 275 pixels or 73.8 KB (whichever is smaller)." So, I'm guessin' that's about the max. The FAQ on Avatars and User Titles is here.

Thank you for your wonderful answer! I will be sure to make note of that when I am ready to subscribe. I have one other question though, I think you may have missed it up there when I asked. Where do you see your reputation stats? Like if you received points and comments, where can they be viewed?

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for your wonderful answer! I will be sure to make note of that when I am ready to subscribe. I have one other question though, I think you may have missed it up there when I asked. Where do you see your reputation stats? Like if you received points and comments, where can they be viewed?

Oops. Sorry about that. No wonder I had this stray link hangin' around on my clipboard.

And, you're very welcome, Articulate Lady.

Lisaj1121

Firefly1121
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I’m super new and using an iPhone to navigate this site..not the easiest. Anyway, I find a LOT of the threads I’m interested in asking questions on and talking to other writers are dead threads- meaning they look like they haven’t had any posts in yeeeaaarrsss! Like some, decades! If I ask a question there will anyone ever respond?! And I have been on chate sites befor, but none of them work like this one. As and the everything you want to know threads are pretty much crap. Sorry I had to say that, spent 3 hrs of my life looking in those and nada to show. Getting frustrated peeps! Help!!!

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I’m super new and using an iPhone to navigate this site..not the easiest. Anyway, I find a LOT of the threads I’m interested in asking questions on and talking to other writers are dead threads- meaning they look like they haven’t had any posts in yeeeaaarrsss! Like some, decades! If I ask a question there will anyone ever respond?! And I have been on chate sites befor, but none of them work like this one. As and the everything you want to know threads are pretty much crap. Sorry I had to say that, spent 3 hrs of my life looking in those and nada to show. Getting frustrated peeps! Help!!!
It really depends on the forum. If it's a question that belongs in Beware, Recommendations, & Background Check (questions about a literary agent, agency, or publishing house, for example), it's better to resurrect an old thread.

Otherwise, send the moderator of the forum a private message asking what they prefer (resurrecting an old thread or starting a new one).

As for the FAQs: People have put a lot of time and effort into creating those to help members navigate the boards. Please keep that in mind.

Last edited:

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
Yep, what L.Y. said about necroing old threads. I tend to allow resurrecting old threads if they still have currency and they aren't more than two years old. Other than that, it's better to start a new thread. And it's always best to ask the room mod first.

Also, about the FAQs: They've proved hugely helpful to me over the years . . . to the point I can almost quote them. My career was in IT management: Training & Documentation, Project Management, QA, sales support, and new user support. That was a lot to manage (and do myself, too). I can't imagine having to do it as a one-person shop. Certainly not with this many users. I think our AW Admin does a heckuva job and doesn't get near enough credit. Also? there many stellar members here like L.Y. who are willing to answer questions. Just ask, they love helping out.

I tell you what, though: if you have any viable suggestions for improving the AW FAQs, send them to me. Those that truly are viable and helpful I'll pass on after the upcoming migration and upgrade. Those suggestions that aren't viable or indicate a lack of understanding, I'll explain and help you with.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score

If you're using an iPhone, you might find the mobile version of the site easier to use.

To set the Mobile Style:

• Scroll all the way down to the bottom
  • On the far left is a white pop-up menu that probably says AW Style
  • Select either Default Mobile Style or AW Mobile Style

DrDLN

Banned
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
The time a mod spends in their area is up to the mod and what the forum dictates. Some require more attention than others. Likewise, some mods have more time to spend on the boards than others. We watch each other's backs and are aware if someone is going to be absent for a stretch so we can keep an eye on their forums while they're gone. Some forums that require more attention have more than one mod.

Miss something? Typically if a mod isn't aware of a problem in the forum a good citizen of AW will send us a rep or PM, or another mod will clue us in.
Yes. We all know each other.
We discuss all thorny issues and make decisions together very frequently.

The answers to these question are quite enlightening.

May I add another question. How long does it take to have full right like starting a new topic or even to allow a new member to post on forums? Thanks in advance.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
The answers to these question are quite enlightening.

May I add another question. How long does it take to have full right like starting a new topic or even to allow a new member to post on forums? Thanks in advance.

DrDLN most forums don't have a 50 post limit; those that do (Share Your Work for example) require 50 posts to start a thread to post something for critique.

Other forums with limits include Announcements; that's to encourage people to actually engage with the community rather than just promote.

Last edited:

Ihe R.G.

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, benevolent Gods of the forum, I'm a bit lost trying to find a crit section, if there is one. I'm not looking to post there (and I'm aware I'll need more posts of my own before that happens), but just to see what's cooking, maybe contribute, as I do like me some technical discussion.