Jed's Super-Dooper Newbie Question-of-the-Week Thread

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
New Question of the Week: Do you have a book that you return to every now and again because you've enjoyed it so much?

anrenke11

Registered
Reaction score
I know this may sound trite and predictable, but I reread the Harry Potter series every couple of years. I just love that series, and it's like comfy pjs. Another favorite of mine is Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. And Emma. I've also reread Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor a few times. That's another favorite.

Markiemoo

Not Throwing Away My Shot
Registered
Reaction score
I reread a lot of different books. They are like old friends. I have many favorites depending on my mood

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
New Question of the Week: Do you have a book that you return to every now and again because you've enjoyed it so much?

*pretends to be newbie because she likes the question*

Villette by Charlotte Bronte, and Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury. Every year.

:hi: Hi, LY!

LouiseWrites

Registered
Reaction score
When I'm stressed, there's a few light reading books that make my day- Ella Enchanted (I know, I know), and the Magnus Chase books are fun and simple.
I've read The Face on the Milk Carton about a zillion times, too.

MadAlice

We're all mad down here
Registered
Reaction score
11-22-63 by Stephen King has been my go-to since it was released. I read it much the same way I rewatch my favorite move when I'm sick or "in that mood." Actually a few by Stephen King. Every once in a while the Oz books by L. Frank Baum.

Trent Frazier

All gifts are accepted by Aranaktu
Registered
Reaction score

Oh boy. I have a few. I return to texts that feel, to me, like poetry. Doesn't matter if you read it ten times before...

1. The Lord of the Rings.

"Frodo looked round in horror. Dreadful as the Dead Marshes had been, and the arid moors of the Noman-lands, more loathsome far was the country that the crawling day now slowly unveiled to his shrinking eyes. Even to the Mere of Dead Faces some haggard phantom of green spring would come; but here neither spring nor summer would ever come again. Here nothing lived, not even the leprous growths that feed on rottenness. The gasping pools were choked with ash and crawling muds, sickly white and grey, as if the mountains had vomited the filth of their entrails upon the lands about. High mounds of crushed and powdered rock, great cones of earth fire-blasted and poison-stained, stood like an obscene graveyard in endless rows, slowly revealed in the reluctant light.

They had come to the desolation that lay before Mordor: the lasting monument to the dark labour of its slaves that should endure when all their purposes were made void; a land defiled, diseased beyond all healing – unless the Great Sea should enter in and wash it with oblivion."

2. The Eight Day.

"Dr. Gillies was lying for all he was worth. He had no doubt that the coming century would be too direful to contemplate — that is to say, like all the other centuries."

"I will tell you your dream. You are having the dream of universal nothingness. You walk down, down, into valleys of nothing, of chalk. You stare, you stare into pits where all is cold. You wake up cold. You think you will never be warm again. And there is this nothing – nada, nada, nada but this nada laughs, like teeth striking together. You open the door of a cupboard, of a room, and there is nothing there but this laughing. The floor is not a floor. The walls are not walls. You wake up and you cannot stop your trembling. Life has no sense. Life is an idiot laughing. Why did you lie to me?"

3. The Gunslinger.

"Above, the stars were unwinking, also constant. Suns and worlds by the million. Dizzying constellations, cold fire in every primary hue. As he watched, the sky washed from violet to ebony. A meteor etched a brief, spectacular arc and winked out. The fire threw strange shadows as the devil-grass burned its slow way down into new patterns - not ideograms but a straightforward crisscross vaguely frightening in its own no-nonsense surety. He had laid his fuel in a pattern that was not artful but only workable. It spoke of blacks and whites. It spoke of a man who might straighten bad pictures in strange hotel rooms. The fire burned its steady, slow flame, and phantoms danced in its incandescent core. The gunslinger did not see. He slept. The two patterns, art and craft, were welded together. The wind moaned. Every now and then a perverse downdraft would make the smoke whirl and eddy toward him, and sporadic whiffs of the smoke touched him. They built dreams in the same way that a small irritant may build a pearl in an oyster. Occasionally the gunslinger moaned with the wind. The stars were as indifferent to this as they were to wars, crucifixions, resurrections. This also would have pleased him."

4. The Left Hand of Darkness.

"Estraven stood there in harness beside me looking at that magnificent and unspeakable desolation. "I'm glad I have lived to see this," he said.

I felt as he did. It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.

It had not rained, here on these north-facing slopes. Snow-fields stretched down from the pass into the valleys of moraine. We stowed the wheels, uncapped the sledge-runners, put on our skis, and took off—down, north, onward, into that silent vastness of fire and ice that said in enormous letters of black and white DEATH, DEATH, written right across a continent. The sledge pulled like a feather, and we laughed with joy."

Shadowmoo

Prophet of the Eldritch ones.
Registered
Reaction score
Fantasy realm I would want to go to is either the one in my novel, or something based out of Lovecraftian horror. I see the darker shades of most things from staring into the abyss for too long. It has spoken to me...

Lapidar

Registered
Reaction score
Several, I go a bit by season: Autumn/Winter: Susan Cooper : Wintersonnwende. I am not sure how the original title is. But I only like this the other books of the Dark is rising cycle are in my opinion not really up to scratch.
Terry Pratchett: Good Omens. :D, when I am sort of feeling blue
Jane Austen when I am feeling a bit romantic.
and.. sometimes "The Cristal Cave" from I believe, it was Mary Stewart.

NobodyMuch

Registered
Reaction score

I'm something of a missionary for Haruki Murakami's What I Talk About When I Talk About Running. It nicely analogizes between the practices of running and those of writing--dedication, preparation, expectation, craft. I've given away four or five copies, though after doing so I always find myself wishing I owned it. So I buy another, which is inevitably given away.

ww412

Registered
Reaction score
I think this was mentioned already, but I always go back to the Harry Potter Series. I just love it so much! Can't get enough. I'll read the books while the movies play in the background :)

Anna Iguana

reading all the things
Registered
Reaction score
i had an iguana for about ten years. He grew to the size of a small house-cat with a four-foot tail. He roamed freely upstairs and down, scratching on my bedroom door on mornings when I slept in. His favorite food was McDonald's cheeseburger. He launched himself toward the crinkling sound of a cheeseburger wrapper with the speed of a small velociraptor. Most days, as I sat at a card table, writing about Shakespeare, he sprawled across my feet. When I rose, and crossed the room to retrieve a book from the shelf, he always followed.

Linnet_Crawford

Registered
Reaction score

Oh, so many... The Lymond Chronicles, definitely. I could read that a hundred times and get something new each time. Or anything Shakespeare...

zhaulsan

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everybody, I am new to this forum, so I decided to answer all the questions in the first post:

Do you, or have you ever, had a pet?
Many, Red, a cat who saved my business from a plague of mice; Blacky who was a German Sheperd so f***p it dissapeared one night, never to be seen again, "El oso" My daughters current and favorite dog. Duke, Rottweiller, who bit me twice trying to let me pet him while eating (silly of me, no?).

Other Questions have been:
You can visit any fictional realm you want, but... you're going to be stuck there for 24 hrs. No getting out. Where would you go?
A coffe shop with an ocean view, here where I live (Campeche, Mexico) there is a mall with a coffe shop, which has a terrace, you can smoke, and I could be there 24 hours, my favorite writing spot.

How are you celebrating New Year?
I don't celebrate, xmas, new year or birthday.

What is your favourite Christmas song?
Blue Christmas by Elvis Presley and "Navidad sin ti" Marco Antonio Solis

When are you putting up your Christmas decorations?
I don't decor

Do you zip or button first?
Haven't paid attentio to it.

Which shoe do you put on first, left or right?

Left I guess..

What is your favourite 80's cartoon?

Cartoon movie "Little mermaid" My daughter used to love it.

What was the last movie you watched?

Fifty shades darker, only to be dissapointed, how different a movie can be from what you get from a book.

What was the last book you read?

Thirteen reasons why? I saw this article on Squire I think, and it caught my attention, the TV series seem to be very popular. After leaving this thread, I am searching for a thread to discuss on this book, which in my opinion doesn't portrait a suiidal person. Very unlikely that a person after venting through the tapes would commit suicide, but who knows; is there anyone in this world who could actually understand human nature.

Cheers to everybody.

Madkei

Registered
Reaction score
I've had many pets including cats, dogs, a pink baby chicken, caterpillars/butterflies, a betta, and hermit crabs. I currently have a beautiful kitten named Octavia (points to you if you know the book/current TV show her name is from.)

Last edited: