Jed's Super-Dooper Newbie Question-of-the-Week Thread

Eslin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thesorrowsseris.com
Tinky-Winky, Dipsy, Laa Laa or Po take your pick for the worst out of that lot. Although I quite like Sun Baby :Sun: Princess Sun Baby yeah I like it!

JC4085

Registered
Reaction score
Precious... Worst name ever. (Sorry if you names a kid that). Of course there are but let people make up their own mind!

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Holy @#$%!! It's a NEW QotW!!!

Wow, are we in *desperate* need of a new QotW.

Good thing I'm here.

:D

This is not the question you're looking for. Move along.

Mine is a glass of ice-water and the ceiling fans. ... When I can't get to the local pool.

Last edited:

auntypsychotic

TWENTY-TWO A DAY
Registered
Reaction score
Here we're trying just about everything we can think of. Our landlord is a lout, among other things, and we have no AC. What makes it particularly unpleasant is that A. We're SUPPOSED to have it and B. My bedroom and studio are upstairs in a converted attic.

Prayers and gifts of arctic air are welcome and greatly appreciated.

KokkieH

Making this up as I go along
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kokkieh.blog
Hmmm. Over the weekend we had midday temperatures of around 7 degrees Celsius, so I can only think warm thoughts at this time. Y'all feel free to send some of that heat down south, though.

auntypsychotic

TWENTY-TWO A DAY
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm. Over the weekend we had midday temperatures of around 7 degrees Celsius, so I can only think warm thoughts at this time. Y'all feel free to send some of that heat down south, though.

If I could I would. I live about an hour away from Tiddles, we both have to put up with not only heat but a normal degree of humidity that requires air tanks, mask and swim fins.

Btw, I thought that the saying was "If all else fails, get a BIGGER hammer".

KokkieH

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kokkieh.blog
If I could I would. I live about an hour away from Tiddles, we both have to put up with not only heat but a normal degree of humidity that requires air tanks, mask and swim fins.

I know that humidity. This last Christmas at my in-laws we basically spent the entire day in the pool.

Btw, I thought that the saying was "If all else fails, get a BIGGER hammer".

Oh, I have several ;-)

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I would trade you, gladly. 7 C is actually rather pleasant, far as I am concerned.

pkbax

It's nap time, right?
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. . . well being IN the water is best, but a mister and fan (or breeze if you can find one) works great! If all else fails, an ice cube rubbed on the insides of the wrists is a good method.

I would trade you, gladly. 7 C is actually rather pleasant, far as I am concerned.

If you're wearing a light sweater or long sleeves, maybe, considering that's just barely above the temp we keep our refrigerators at work. But it is much better than the extremes.

KokkieH

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kokkieh.blog
I would trade you, gladly. 7 C is actually rather pleasant, far as I am concerned. :D

If you're wearing a light sweater or long sleeves, maybe, considering that's just barely above the temp we keep our refrigerators at work. But it is much better than the extremes.

Yes, for you lot in the far north 7C might not feel that cold, but I don't think you realise exactly the difference that central heating and insulated buildings make. We have neither of those. And our average daytime winter temps are closer to 16, so anything below 10 and we reckon nature's just being unreasonable :D

As I mentioned my in-laws above, they actually visited us two weeks ago. They live on the east coast of South Africa, a region with a fairly tropical climate. Their average winter temp is around 28C. They really did not enjoy the cold here. It's all relative, I guess.

pkbax

It's nap time, right?
Registered
Reaction score
As I mentioned my in-laws above, they actually visited us two weeks ago. They live on the east coast of South Africa, a region with a fairly tropical climate. Their average winter temp is around 28C. They really did not enjoy the cold here. It's all relative, I guess.

Average winter temp is 28C? That is not winter! I'm from the south and even I don't call that winter!

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
It's the middle of summer here and we got down to about 18C last night. An unexpected and welcome reprieve from the daytime heat & humidity. Since I don't want to get pelted with oranges, I'll go with my second-best answer of not a lot of clothes, a good fan, and a cold wet towel across the shoulders. Or finding things to do in the basement, which is usually 10deg cooler than the rest of the house anyway.

JetFueledCar

tiny hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
I'm spending this week on a lake in Michigan (it's my grandparents' house so I get to spend two weeks here every summer for FREE). My method for beating the heat has been lying on the dock until I get too hot, then jumping in the water for a few minutes and getting back out and lying on my towel to air-dry. Repeat until I can't stand the sun anymore and have to go up to shore, but by then there's shade so I'm still cool.

pkbax

It's nap time, right?
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW, JetFueled. At first I read that as Lake Michigan rather than a lake in Michigan. Having been in Lake Michigan in July, I got goose bumps just thinking about it. But there are some warmer lakes up there. :)

KokkieH

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kokkieh.blog
Average winter temp is 28C? That is not winter! I'm from the south and even I don't call that winter!

You're telling me. On the other hand, summer temps there are over 40C with humidity 60% and above. They put on jackets when it hits 28! Visiting there in wintertime is very interesting with us walking around in shorts and barefoot and them in winter clothing.

KokkieH

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kokkieh.blog
I'm spending this week on a lake in Michigan (it's my grandparents' house so I get to spend two weeks here every summer for FREE). My method for beating the heat has been lying on the dock until I get too hot, then jumping in the water for a few minutes and getting back out and lying on my towel to air-dry. Repeat until I can't stand the sun anymore and have to go up to shore, but by then there's shade so I'm still cool.

When I watch US television shows and films where people are on vacation next to a lake it always looks so relaxing. I'd go for your method of cooling off anytime.

becphish

Registered
Reaction score
Whenever it gets really hot and humid I repeat "at least I no longer live in Israel. At least I no longer live in Israel" until my body temperature registers as not as hot as I could be.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No, the QotW *hasn't* melted. Why do you ask?

All right folks, it's time for a new Question of the Week!

*cues fanfare*

As it's hot and summer here where the QotW is generated, I thought I'd go with a question about a traditional summer food: ice cream. This one's a multi-part question, but you don't have to answer all of them by any means.

What's your favorite flavor of ice cream, and is there a reason why? Also, what's the most exotic flavor of ice cream you have either tried, heard of, and/or heard of and be wiling to try?

I ask this last bit because back in 4th grade, my daughter did a map of the US, and as part of the map she assigned each state it's own ice cream flavor to represent the state. You would not believe the kinds of flavors she found (not all of which came from Japan, either.)

My own favorite is pistachio. I know that makes me somewhat old-fashioned - according to a recent poll of 11 year-olds in my house - but I'm a traditionalist.

Although, as my runner up is mint chocolate chip, maybe I just have a thing for green?

:idea:

I'm down with almost any exotic flavor, and willing to try most things once, but shrimp ice cream (yeah, it's a thing) I think crosses a line for me. Now, the wasabi ice cream...

I'd give that a go.

Last edited:

KokkieH

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kokkieh.blog
Ooh! As cold as it is here, I still like this question as I'll eat ice cream even while standing outside in the snow :D

My favourite would be nougat, with cookies and cream and mint choc chip close seconds. Can't say I've encountered any exotic flavours, though I reckon I'd also draw the line at shrimp. I did have gelato once. It was divine.

(My wife just reminded me, my sister mentioned a milkshake bar in their town that has banana-bacon milkshakes on offer. I'm sure one would be able to find bacon-flavour ice cream as well if one searched hard enough. I like bacon as much as I like ice cream, but I'm not so sure whether those two loves should meet.)

Last edited: