Jed's Super-Dooper Newbie Question-of-the-Week Thread

Sunflowerrei

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michelleathy.com
Roaches. Water bugs, especially ones that fly. I'm normally a pretty composed person, but I shriek whenever I see either of them.

Also, crazy-eyed swarms of women with multiple coupons coming at me while I'm standing at the register. I work retail. You'd think I'd be used it, but they terrify me.

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
All right, folks, time for a new
What creepy-crawly, slithery-skittery, flippy-flappy things freak you out the most, and why?
I'm actually tolerant of most creepy-crawly things. Spiders don't bother me. In fact, when I see one in the house, I usually throw it outside.

There are three creatures that give me the willies: Cochroaches, thousand-leggers (long-legged centipedes) and silverfish. I don't like things with long legs, long antenae, or quick speed.

Roaches never used to bother me until my family stayed in house in Myrtle Beach infested with them. Every night the damn things would come out of the woodword (literally). Some of them were three inches long. *shudders*

AUthoress

Living my dreams.
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, definitely earwigs. I'm pretty good with bugs, but earwigs are c-r-e-e-p-y.

Aymee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chunkinggoals.blogspot.com
Spiders. And centipedes. And millipedes. Basically, if it has more than 6 legs, someone must kill it (usually not me, because I'm standing on a chair calling either "Daddy! Daddy! Daddy!" or my boyfriend's name repeatedly, depending on where I am). When I was little, I remember getting paper towels to allow the spiders to crawl onto so I could take them outside. I have no idea when or why this horrible fear developed, but I can't even go near dead things with more than 6 legs. :chair

EmersonWierda

Here, have a kitten.
Registered
Reaction score
Spiders. Especially daddy long legs and big, hairy ones. They are so yucky. I usually have people kill it for me.

Other than that, no other creepy crawlers scare me. Though if it's an earwig I kill it myself. :deadhorse

Buffy871

Registered
Reaction score
I like creepy, crawly things. I own a Ebony Cornsnake. I love snakes and scorpions, and I think of myself as a garden spider.

I'm really grossed out by birds. Any animal that urinates and defecates from the same hole is disgusting. And no matter where I park, they always get my car. Apparently my vintage Volvo angers some bird god. Screw you, bird god!

ASC McLaren

Intended for mature audiences
Registered
Reaction score
All right, folks, time for a new Question of the Week!!

*much fanfare*

Ok, ok, it's past time, really, but I was finishing up the first summer session at uni and then I went camping, which leads me to our current question:

What creepy-crawly, slithery-skittery, flippy-flappy things freak you out the most, and why?

(Assuming there's a rational reason for it, that is.)

I ask because I was out in the great outdoors, where many such things reside. And while most of them don't scare me, I am rather intimidated by wasps, yellow jackets, hornets, and the like.

And as of this weekend, the little tiny sweat bees that I had *thought* were stingless.

Ouch.

:rant:

Oh, and bats. But only when they are indoors. :scared:
Politicians, and they start coming out earlier and earlier every couple of years. It is the flippy flappy mostly.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, this one's been surprisingly popular.

And also massive nightmare fuel. Especially the politicians one.

*shudders*

ZeroSuit

We all go a little mad sometimes.
Registered
Reaction score
Centipedes because, well... JUST LOOK AT THEM!! I'd rather hold a one-person conversation with a millipede then even LOOK at a centipede... I don't know why I'm fine with millipedes... maybe it's the LENGTH of centipedes legs... although I'm cool with spiders, too...Hmm who knows, but THANKS now I'm all itchy and paranoid thinking about centipedes >.<

AshAragon

AshAragon
Registered
Reaction score
After some very brief and nauseating Google image searching, I've concluded that when I referred to "those millipedes with the really long, feathery legs" in my previous post, I was talking about centipedes.

So I'd like to change my answer, to centipedes.

And are you all actually encountering EARWIGS in real life? I was always terrified of them as a kid but, after several vigilant years without an encounter, concluded that they were a rare and horrifying creature that appeared only in books. Please tell me I'm not mistaken.

ralf58

shhh, I'm writing
Registered
Reaction score
We always get earwigs in the house at least once a summer. They totally give me the heeby-jeebies.

ZeroSuit

Registered
Reaction score
After some very brief and nauseating Google image searching, I've concluded that when I referred to "those millipedes with the really long, feathery legs" in my previous post, I was talking about centipedes.

Wow! You know, I did the exact same thing (Google search) to look at the difference between the legs of a centipede and the legs of a millipede and yes, brief and nauseating EXACTLY describes it... I swear there were beads of sweat forming on my forehead when I clicked the search button for "centipede" :ROFL: My breath got all choked up and I hit that "x" button so fast... I'm terrified of centipedes...:cry:

AshAragon

AshAragon
Registered
Reaction score
Wow! You know, I did the exact same thing (Google search) to look at the difference between the legs of a centipede and the legs of a millipede and yes, brief and nauseating EXACTLY describes it... I swear there were beads of sweat forming on my forehead when I clicked the search button for "centipede" :ROFL: My breath got all choked up and I hit that "x" button so fast... I'm terrified of centipedes...:cry:

I feel ya, ZeroSuit. All those images popping up at once all over the screen. SO MANY LEGS.

I also hate killing things, even creepycrawlyawful things, which makes my predicament that much worse. I'm also convinced centipedes are probably invincible and will easily escape the paper towel I try to smoosh them with, only to crawl straight onto my face or into my hair, where they will remain forever.

Never mind that I'm doing this right before bed, which almost guarantees a feverish dream of riding a horse-sized, feathery centipede through a forest of earwigs.

ZeroSuit

Registered
Reaction score
Never mind that I'm doing this right before bed, which almost guarantees a feverish dream of riding a horse-sized, feathery centipede through a forest of earwigs.

:roll: Okay, that made me chuckle very hard. Although if ever was there a dream like the one you described waking me up from my sleep, I would decay of insomnia because I would never go to sleep again.

I have trouble killing them as well, out of fear I won't succeed and they'll sense my failure and form a diabolical plan against me. -_- So I try drowning them, since I've mainly seen then in bath tubs >.< Or, the best method, running away and letting somebody else do the dirty job. :tongue

AshAragon

AshAragon
Registered
Reaction score
:roll:
I have trouble killing them as well, out of fear I won't succeed and they'll sense my failure and form a diabolical plan against me. -_- So I try drowning them, since I've mainly seen then in bath tubs >.< Or, the best method, running away and letting somebody else do the dirty job. :tongue

Why DO they love bathtubs so much? And walls. Always hanging out on walls, like they just own the place.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
New QotW

*trumpet fanfare*

*dramatic drumroll*

I present, our new Question of the Week!

What Summer rituals do you have, if any?

In other words, what is it you do that most signifies summer for you?

For me, it's having ice cream cones on the front porch with my little one. There are other things we do, at other times, but that first ice cream cone of the season is what starts things off.

:Sun:

PS: I know it's not summer for everyone, but I figure our Southern Hemisphere members can look forward to it.

Fallon

My writing sounds better in my head
Registered
Reaction score
I don't really have any summer rituals, as soon as school ends I pile up books to read, and then sort into piles of which one's look the best, etc, but that's basically it. :3

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hide in the air conditioning