Jed's Super-Dooper Newbie Question-of-the-Week Thread

kattbee

Registered
Reaction score
summer, whee!

I am a teacher so my summer is always super-dooper. This summer hubby and I are backpacking in Europe (the middle bit) and then going to Canada. After saying hello to parents in Calgary (the western side of the country) driving half-way across Canada to deliver furniture to my daughter, who will be starting uni in Guelph (the center part.) Then back to Qatar for work. So most, I am looking forward to, well, all of it, I guess. :D

BelltdieKatze

Registered
Reaction score
What am I looking forward to?

The Big Family Trip, which my family and I haven't taken for... four years, now, and we're going to Europe, where I can practise my German on unsuspecting innocents and write furiously in my shiny new journal. :)

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
New QotW

All right, folks, time for a new Question of the Week!!

*much fanfare*

Ok, ok, it's past time, really, but I was finishing up the first summer session at uni and then I went camping, which leads me to our current question:

What creepy-crawly, slithery-skittery, flippy-flappy things freak you out the most, and why?

(Assuming there's a rational reason for it, that is.)

I ask because I was out in the great outdoors, where many such things reside. And while most of them don't scare me, I am rather intimidated by wasps, yellow jackets, hornets, and the like.

And as of this weekend, the little tiny sweat bees that I had *thought* were stingless.

Ouch.

:rant:

Oh, and bats. But only when they are indoors.
:scared:

Last edited:

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not afriad of spiders. KILL THEM. I actually like them. KILL THEM ALL. Cute and furry and all nice like. STAMP THEIR CREEPY CRAWLY BODIES INTO THE GROUND AND BURN THE REMAINS. Yeah, not afraid of them.

CAMueller

Part-time ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vampirebookclub.net
What creepy-crawly, slithery-skittery, flippy-flappy things freak you out the most, and why?

Really anything flying or jumping insect and I are not going to get along. I can handle spiders, beetles, etc. But giant grasshoppers leaping toward me or, ugh, cicadas? Oh, I'm running the other direction. They're too wily.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Spiders. Evil eight legged Pit spawned demons

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sealeyandrews.wordpress.com
:idea: Not to be horribly unoriginal...but Spiders.

And birds. Well, anything with wings that flit about. Butterflies. Moths. Bats. But mostly birds. :eek:

The spider thing? I'm not sure where it came from. The bird thing probably goes back to a bad incident in a pet store. You know, those glass rooms with all the cages. But honestly, I can't remember when I first developed that fear. :Shrug:

I can't go in the bird exhibit at the zoo or the butterfly room. Seriously.

Especially because they scare the living daylights out of you in the butterfly room when they tell you to watch out and don't make sudden movements or loud noises because you'll kill them easily. :rolleyes: Like I need that on my conscience.

toomanycarbs

Registered
Reaction score
I always just accept and enjoy. It doesn't matter what is possible in this world, only what is possible in the world the author has created.

toomanycarbs

Registered
Reaction score
^ well crap, I read the wrong question. YOu know what freaks me out... Earwigs. I had one crawl on my leg yesterday and I still am shuddering over it. Gross.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
^ well crap, I read the wrong question. YOu know what freaks me out... Earwigs. I had one crawl on my leg yesterday and I still am shuddering over it. Gross.

Yes! I'd forgotten about those until yesterday when I saw one indoors.

Or those silverfish things with the flat bodies and way, way, WAY too many legs. I tolerate lots of other things in the house, but those are kill on sight.

:guns:

Momof2

Registered
Reaction score
Spiders, snakes, slugs, worms, you know... Anything that lives outside. :)

torrielynn

Registered
Reaction score
Snakes!! I am so terrified of them they make me cry. I find them in the yard all the time, call the law and they won't help me:(

ralf58

shhh, I'm writing
Registered
Reaction score
Earwigs--they make me think of those horrible creatures used for mind control in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan. (Yeah, I'm dating myself. Sue me.)

And centipedes / millipedes. I hate all those legs. I hate the way they move. Found one on our tablecloth in a nice restaurant about a month ago, and I shouted and jumped about three feet away from the table. They seated us somewhere else very quickly and were VERY attentive the rest of the night.