Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 204 of 257 FirstFirst ... 104129154179194198199200201202203204205206207208209210214229254 ... LastLast
Results 5,076 to 5,100 of 6417

Thread: Jed's Super-Dooper Newbie Question-of-the-Week Thread

Quote Originally Posted by jtrylch13 View Post
    Summer sound? I'm with SaraP, sort of. I live on Lake Huron and the sound of the lake is mesmerizing. It has many different sounds and patterns of sound that I enjoy. The constant roar of active waves, the gentle wush-wush of a calm day, the crashing of huge waves on the break wall in town. We might have to move within the next couple of years, and my heart is dreading being torn from that lake.
    I spend as much of the summer that I am able to at Lake Huron, I adore it. My heart breaks every time I have to head back home. I'd love to have a place on the lake one day.
    "I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."
    Oscar Wilde
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how."
    Dr. Suess

practical experience, FTW that redhead's Avatar
    My favorite summer sound is rain on my skylight and thunder from a good monsoon storm. It's a close cousin of my favorite summer scent...the creosote-scented desert after a good storm.

figuring it all out rhetoric by rosalie's Avatar
    The gentle sound of wind chimes tingling with the warm summer breeze.

New QotW - two for one sale!

What is your favorite room in your house?

or, if you don't have one, or it's kind of boring, you can answer this one instead:

Places you don't have in your house but, if you did, they'd be your favorite.

Mine would be a reading nook, tucked into a bay window. Which I don't have. But will someday.

Along with the room I can dedicate to just being a library.

Ok, yes, that's two places, and the bay window would take precedence, but I'd still like the library.

There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead.

Answer the Question of the Week.* New questions found on the last page of the thread.

*May or may not actually be updated once a week.

Fleas Twits

Has semi-colon; will use it! jtrylch13's Avatar
    I wish my kids had a playroom or a basement retreat. Then any room would be my favorite because I'd have some peace and quiet! (Reading nook sounds magical too, though!)

Mij corner. The apartment has a balcony which has been closed, creating a semi-seperated corner. It exactly fits my computer desk and some shelves, it has the most light of the living room and I'm partially hidden so it's not immediately obvious whem I'm playing rather than writing.
    I seriously need a better desk chair though.
    It's not the small green pieces of paper that are unhappy. (Douglas Adams)

It's great that you have all these ideas for your next book but how 'bout you finish the first one? (Girlfriend)

'Places you don't have in your house but, if you did, they'd be your favorite.'

I used to always want some sort of writing studio or study, beyond just my bedroom. But last year I read 'My Cool Caravan', this book about selected vintage caravans and their stories, complete with lovely pictures. (for the curious). I would love something that pretty in my backyard to sneak off to and write in. It'd be like having a writing playhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by slcboston View Post
    What is your favorite room in your house?

or, if you don't have one, or it's kind of boring, you can answer this one instead:

Places you don't have in your house but, if you did, they'd be your favorite.

My favourite place is the couch in the sunroom. It`s great for reading, writing, watching thunderstorms, or even those odd occasions when I can just watch the clouds roll by on a gorgeous blue sky.

My ideal place would be if that sunroom were actually mine (I rent) and it was facing the ocean with a wide, plush window seat running the length of the windows.
    "I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."
    Oscar Wilde
    Dr. Suess

"What is your favorite room in your house?"

The 'Back Room'. Where we tend to congregate to read or do anything that doesn't involve tv!

"Places you don't have in your house but, if you did, they'd be your favourite."

I'd love a library. Nothing too huge, with a wood burning fire and a few comfy chairs

I sometimes hiccup fire parumpdragon's Avatar
    Morning, did we start a game here that I don't know about?
    A cute little bug :

Dear God, Thank you for keeping me together when I'm falling apart.

Goodreads

I'm a friend of Foo Bat - join the club!

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    I am a gentle rainicorn.. I nibble on your brainz. neigh. neigh. I say

New QotW

School has started here in the US, but even if you're out where you are, I figure you can still answer this:

What was your favorite part of "back to school," either as a student or a parent/educator?

For me, as a student, I was always ready to go back because I'd exhausted my summer.

As a teacher and a parent now, it's much different. As a teacher it means a regular paycheck, and some new students (and old students as well). It means a return to routine, certainly.

As a parent, well, I think I am perhaps more nervous that my child is about how she'll do on the first day in her new classes.

Answer the Question of the Week.* New questions found on the last page of the thread.

Fleas Twits

"What was your favorite part of "back to school," either as a student or a parent/educator?"

As a student, definitely the shopping. I loved when the fall fashions hit the shops--cozy sweaters for cooler breezes, loved fresh notebooks with crisp pages--opening a new pack of pens and writing my name on the first page with every single one in the pack, and loved the anticipation of what was to come--the possibility that anything could happen.

Now, as a parent, it feels bittersweet. I love that my son is excited to go back to school (only his second year) so I like getting everything ready with him, but it's a reminder of how quickly time is passing, and I genuinely miss him when he's gone. It's tricky because I can never relate to all the other parents who are so happy school is starting again. (Odd man out my whole life so no difference there LOL) I miss the days we spend together and look forward to all the upcoming breaks in the school year.
    Oscar Wilde
    Dr. Suess

Newbie and proud of it! valeriev89's Avatar
    My favorite part of back to school was definitely shopping. I loved when my mom would take me to get my school supplies and anything else I needed. I'm still in college so she still does that ^_^
    Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. - George Bernard Shaw

Since my day (or evening) job is in retail, I'd say my favorite part of going back to school is getting ready for Halloween. Putting out the creepy merchandise and the smell of pumpkin candles and potpourri.

figuring it all out LeafintheBreeze's Avatar
    What was your favorite part of "back to school," either as a student or a parent/educator?
    Shopping, as well. It was exciting to get new stuff. Also, getting to see my friends again, on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by rhetoric by rosalie View Post
    Since my day (or evening) job is in retail, I'd say my favorite part of going back to school is getting ready for Halloween. Putting out the creepy merchandise and the smell of pumpkin candles and potpourri.
    My daughter asked me why the Halloween stuff was up already when we walked into the store the other day. I had never really associated it with back to school, but I suppose in the on-going quest to push the holidays on us earlier and earlier, that fits.

Fleas Twits

Quote Originally Posted by urbanmum View Post
    definitely the shopping.
    Quote Originally Posted by valeriev89 View Post
    definitely shopping.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeafintheBreeze View Post
    Shopping, as well.
    I don't think I've *ever* been excited about shopping, under any circumstances. Other than for the occasional book, but I don't think that's quite the same, as I always went in for just that one item and then got out.

... hmmm, might be a new QotW in that somewhere...

Fleas Twits

My favorite part of 'back to school' was that my kids are grown and I didn't have to deal with it.
    <--My blog

twitter & fb (for a friend)

WIP1- One of Us, SF/Horror
    WIP2- Flying with Broken Wings, Fantasy

Quote Originally Posted by Synonym View Post
    Just when I think that this thread couldn't possibly get any stranger...it does.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin OctoberRoses's Avatar
    I would have to go with the ocean. Its a whole other world down there and few get to see it up close. They say space is the final frontier but we've only just begun to learn about our oceans. So i would without a doubt explore the ocean. Unless you told me there was a planet out there that had life on it and i was the first person to study it.
    Last edited by OctoberRoses; 09-06-2011 at 06:23 PM.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin attacus-atlas's Avatar
    Since I'm in college now, my favorite part of "back to school" is seeing my friends and getting to Live My Own Life (as much as I can at this point).

I do miss my family sometimes though... and my cats. :/ And of course with schoolwork and classes getting in the way, I can't just spend all day reading and Internetting like I did over the summer!

Totally agree with the shopping, though, haha. I used to LOVE buying school supplies when I was a kid.
    "We live in a world that creates impossible standards. I say to all of that, 'Screw you and die.' We should celebrate imperfection, because that's the one thing all of us can achieve."
    - Guillermo del Toro

My daughter asked me why the Halloween stuff was up already when we walked into the store the other day. I had never really associated it with back to school, but I suppose in the on-going quest to push the holidays on us earlier and earlier, that fits.

I think, as a general rule of retail, it's to make merchandise available 6-8 weeks prior to the event. That's why it's hard to find clothes (such as swim suits) in the stores when you need them...except for those at the beach stores. The nice thing though, is if you wait, you get everything on sale, just not as much of a selection. So, buy your Halloween candy and costumes now.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    I'm a librarian, so I love to select books for my students, and I can read as much as I want!

New QotW

Snack foods that you can't have in the house lest you eat them all?

Some snacks I can keep around and they'll last quite a while, others... not so much. In my case, it tends to be nachos and pork rinds. They get eaten immediately.

But in honor of the end of summer here (and picnic type snack foods) I thought I'd ask.

Fleas Twits

Arrowroot cookies. It's just plain dangerous for me to have a box in the house.

Page 204 of 257 FirstFirst ... 104129154179194198199200201202203204205206207208209210214229254 ... LastLast