Jed's Super-Dooper Newbie Question-of-the-Week Thread

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
New QotW

So, seeing as some of you went to the movie theaters this weekend, it got me thinking:

What movie were you most looking forward to, that turned out to be the biggest disappointment?

... with a caveat that the Star Wars trilogy prequels don't count. Otherwise this might turn into a thread of "yeah, mine too."

:D

Mine was Daredevil. One of my favorite characters, supposedly with an actor who was also a fan. And then... meh.

(Unlike Ghost Rider which I expected to suck :D)

Reaction score
Hmmmm... in Alabama:

[FONT=times new roman,helvetica]You may not drive barefooted.

It is illegal to maim oneself to escape duty.

It is illegal to impersonate a person of the clergy.

Women are able to retain all property they owned prior to marriage in the case of divorce. However, this provision does not apply to men.

Masks may not be worn in public.

Putting salt on a railraod track may be punishable by death.

Boogers may not be flicked into the wind.

Bear wrestling matches are prohibited.

It is legal to drive the wrong way down a one-way street if you have a lantern attached to the front of your automobile.

Men may not spit in front of the opposite sex.

Incestous marriages are legal.

It is illegal to wear a fake moustache that causes laughter in church.

You must have windshield wipers on your car.

You may not have an ice cream cone in your back pocket at any time.
[/FONT]

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
The biggest disappointment would probably be either Once Upon A Time In Mexico or The Crow: Salvation, only because the trailers were pretty damn good. I went into Superman Returns, Spider-Man 3 et al with low expectations, and was rewarded with mediocre films...

flea23

thewordmaster
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fleaflyfloo.blogspot.com
@Unseen Moon -
You don't need a windshield, but you must have wipers. WOW! That's disastrous. so if a booger from another car hits you in the nose because you don't have a windshield, your wipers will wipe it right off. Right?

The others - Well, let's see. don't rightly know of any kin I'd like to be hitched to. Had some pretty ones though. They all got old and . . . and. . . wait. This is getting out of hand.

valeriev89

Newbie and proud of it!
Registered
Reaction score
Arrg one of my biggest upsets to date was The Dark Knight! If I hadn't listened to everyone tell me it was the most amazing thing they've ever seen then I would have fully enjoyed, but that didn't happen :p. I had VERY high expectations that were unfulfilled and thought it was way too long. Funny enough, I loved the first one while a lot of people didn't haha. Oh well :)

Spiral

looking at the stars
Registered
Reaction score
The most recent disappointment for me had to be Sucker Punch.

@Unseen Moon: the passwords are there so what people post to those forums is not searchable on Google etc., I believe.

Alexia Featherchild

Registered
Reaction score
I'm quite sad that Harry Potter is over, but that just means taking the fun of searching out the next great story. Will it take time? Probably. Will it be as epic? I don't yet know, but lets hope it comes close or even surpasses it.
Thing is I'm still reading book one, since I never got into it until friends kept telling me to read and watch it. So I'm not finished yet with Harry Potter (on screen yes, but not on paper.)

DionS.

Shaken, not stirred
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to go ahead and be honest, on a 1 - 10 sadness scale, I'm at about 7.31. I own all of the HPs (except for the last one of course) and I think they've handled the series nicely.

I guess there's nothing left to do but wait for the next Percy and the Lightening Thief.

(sigh ...)

(re-sigh)

(reaches for pills next to bed stand)

DionS.

Shaken, not stirred
Registered
Reaction score
The most recent disappointment for me had to be Sucker Punch.

OMG you are 100% right on that one. I was so angry I threw the DVD in the garbage.

Of course the next day I remembered it was a Redbox rental so I got it back out, but you get my point.

I mean, I'm hardcore and stuff, but $1 a day is just ...

nevermind

Spiral

looking at the stars
Registered
Reaction score
OMG you are 100% right on that one. I was so angry I threw the DVD in the garbage.

Of course the next day I remembered it was a Redbox rental so I got it back out, but you get my point.

I mean, I'm hardcore and stuff, but $1 a day is just ...

nevermind

:roll:

squeaky pram

oldie turned newbie
Registered
Reaction score
Recent ones: two come to mind.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. And the Keira Knightly Pride and Prejudice.

The Potter films had been getting so wonderful... especially with Azkaban and Goblet, and then... "He" came to direct (shudder). Probably many will disagree, but I hate the Yates Potter films. He puts special effects and Action over character, and to me character is what makes the books so wonderful. Sad x 4! (though I still haven't seen the final installment. maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised!).

Pride and Prejudice? Just no, no, no! And it has nothing (well, a little) to do with the fact that I don't like Knightly as an actress. Poor adaptation.

Reaction score
just you guys wait. Eventually there will come....

A REBOOT!

AND THEN THE FANS WILL BE UP IN ARMS!

Because there's this weird rule in fandom that once something's been established it must never be changed under any circumstances or then it sucks.

Suck as Pine playing Kirk.

KIRK MUST ONLY BE PLAYED BY WILLIAM SHATNER OR IT SUCKS!

Yaaaaaar.

Le Sigh.

sally_laramie

On the road to creativity
Registered
Reaction score
I was disappointed with the Golden Compass, not nearly as dark and exciting as the book. The characters didn't feel as deep either.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
New QotW

for a bit of touchy-feely goodness this week, I present the new Question of the Week:

What is the most random - yet still sincere - compliment you've ever recieved?

For me I was 19 and a long-time female friend, out of nowhere, told me I had nice eyes.

Had I not been quite so young and stupid, I'd have parlayed that into a date, instead of stammering "thank you."

:D

Spiral

looking at the stars
Registered
Reaction score
I posted about this in Sara's sparkly side of life thread, but since it's the best answer to this question, I'll have to tell it again.

My 6yo daughter, while putting her to bed one night recently, told me I was "the best mom she ever had". :D

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad we have a new Question because I couldn't come up with an answer to the last one. :Shrug:

As for the compliment, I think my favorite one was being told I smile with my whole face. :)

Reaction score
In mother Russia you don't give compliments, compliments give you.

In more seriousness...

How many posts does a poster have to reach before they're not considered new any more?

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
That's one of those unanswerable questions. Some people are new after hundreds of posts, with others it feels like they've been here forever just from a handful of posts. It has more to do with your attitude and what you give to the community more than post count. :)

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I gave my right lung, an eyeball and six buttons to the community, and they made me a mod. Go figure...

For the record, I only have 3,440 posts, and there are people on the boards with many, many times more posts than that. As for duration of membership, I feel like I've been here forever, but I only joined in 2009 - you'll see people who have been here much longer. If that's of any help.