Jed's Super-Dooper Newbie Question-of-the-Week Thread

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
We take any excuse we can get... "It's summer.", "I'm thirsty.", "Today ends with a 'y'." :D

Total random derail:

Weekdays in portuguese always follow the pattern <something>-feira, while saturday and sunday are two distinct words.

We can't use the "today ends with y" excuse. :e2bummed:

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
New Question of the Day:

How sad are you that the Harry Potter films are now over?

:D :D :D

Are we unicorn baiting now, Jed?

PS: Good to see you back.

:D

(And as I've not yet seen any since Order, and need to re-read the books anyway, I can't say it's made me particularly nostalgic or anything else, one way or the other.)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
New Question of the Day:

Not as disappointed as the books being over. I like the books much better

SaraP

Registered
Reaction score
Are we unicorn baiting now, Jed?

PS: Good to see you back.

I would never bait the unicorn :evil

I seriously hope you two do not mean me. *crosses arms, taps foot*

I agree with Griesmeel. Looking forward to getting the box set for Christmas. I was sadder when the books ended, but there's still some bittersweetness to it all.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Quite happy actually. It means the DVD box set is on the horizon. :)

They jumped the gun on the release of a box set - the films (save for the last one) are now available in a box set with a bunch of extras. Harry Potter really is this generations Star Wars, inasmuch as people are going to be buying versions of the films for decades... I've been through that more than once (Blade Runner, anyone?), and don't intend doing so again. When I buy the DVDs, I'll be doing so once, and only once.

SaraP

Registered
Reaction score
I don't own any HP DVD's because I've been waiting for the box set. It's a long wait, but I think worth it. It certainly was for Lord of the Rings.

valeriev89

Newbie and proud of it!
Registered
Reaction score
New Question of the Day:

I'm sad, but no where near as sad as I was when the books ended haha. I was 11 when the first book came out so it felt like I grew up with HP. After the last one, I walked around feeling legitimately lost! But it was nice to actually see it and see it done well :)

E.Murray

Queries suck.
Registered
Reaction score
The problem with the movies, though, is they only make sense if you've read the books. I read the series (loved it even though I'm way older than the target market) and like the movies. My wife didn't read the books and is utterly lost when watching the movies.
As with every other case I've seen, the books are at least 10x better than the movies. It's a fact. Don't even try to argue...

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As with every other case I've seen, the books are at least 10x better than the movies. It's a fact. Don't even try to argue...

You do realize that, around here, ending your statements with "don't even try to argue" is an incentive *to* argue?

I think, like with any series that is well done, both have their place. I can watch one of the movies in an afternoon, which isn't something I can do with the books. But on the other hand, the movies lack a lot of the complexity.

Depends on my mood, really.

Hreynolds

Registered
Reaction score
Website
hereynolds.livejournal.com
I don't own any HP DVD's because I've been waiting for the box set. It's a long wait, but I think worth it. It certainly was for Lord of the Rings.

Same for me! And to be honest, I bawled during half the movie. Of course, if I don't cry during a film, I'm disappointed, but any scene with Alan Rickman had me curled up like a baby. Anyone else letting the sobs out?

I told my mother it was the end of my childhood, and she said that was a good thing.

DanielAnuchan

Registered
Reaction score
I often read the books for adapted movies. There is almost always some deviation between the two. Harry Potter came strikingly close. I was particularly impressed with how they dealt with Book 3--The Prisoner of Azkaban. I had expected them to simplify the plot for the movie so they could get it all in, but I think they showed everything I could remember.

Whereas the more recent movie "I am number Four" differed from the book in several significant ways.

Any movie/book combos that were especially noteworthy?

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
New Question of the Day:

These books and films, live in my heart :)

HP will be like Star Wars Weekends. A couple of boxes of popcorn, some choclate covered raisins, and the complete set of harry potter films. That is what I call a GREAT WEEKEND WORTH REPEATING.

ncpenn

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Not sad. I've never quite understood what made it all so popular.

I guess it's just not my thing.

mieshe

Registered
Reaction score
I loved the books and the movies, but I sometimes feel frustrated on behalf of the people who have only seen the films, because they miss out on awesome scenes and necessary information. If they cut a semi-important scene, it doesnt matter if you've read it and know about it, but for those who've never read the books, they'll never know.

Obviously it would be ridiculous to attempt to include everything in a film. This is why I'm glad American Gods will be a TV show :D

What are people's opinions on Pottermore?