Jed's Super-Dooper Newbie Question-of-the-Week Thread

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Star Wars. I was 6, I think, and according to my mother it was the first movie I sat through. I don't remember it.

I do remember Empire Strikes Back as being the earliest movie I can remember back to. That was at a drive in.

Which, in retrospect, explains a number of things.

:D

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
First Movie: Don't feel bad Spiral, my parents never took us to the movies either. Too expensive with four kids. My unce took us to see Rodger Rabbit as a reward for raking his lawn. I should have held out for a popcorn, pop and candy too. It was a BIG yard.

Favorite childhood game: Too many to choose. My favorite boardgame when I was little was Chutes and Ladders. As we got older, we'd play all kinds of board games, but make up all our own rules. I also loved TV Freeze tag at school. With three siblings, we had all kinds of make believe games that usually involved forty acres of woods we lived on, building forts and riding our bikes on the trails. I forgot how much fun we had. Excuse me, I need to go call my brother and sisters!

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I am told my folks took me to see snow white at a drive-in when I was about three, but I have no memory of that. I remember seeing Star Wars with a friend, then going with my family to see Empire Strikes Back. The tickets were $3 each and my father was outraged and swore he'd never take us to the movies again. Not sure he ever did, come to think of it.

estyles

Registered
Reaction score
The first movie I can remember seeing in a drive in was Gremlins. The first movie I ever saw in a walk-in theater (and I KNOW this one for fact) was E.T. Gremlins scared the bejeezus out of me and E.T. is still one of my favorite movies... Ah, the memories... :)

Fricking "Gremlins." I'm pretty sure it was the first movie I saw on tape, and I was a really timid kid. I still can't watch that stupid thing all the way through. A couple winters ago, I was listening to NPR on the way from home. They did a segment about classic dysfunctional family Christmas movies, and I'll tell you I about took the car off the road when they decided to play a clip of those little creeps snarling along more or less to the tune of "Jingle Bells" as evidence of what a charming and delightful film it is.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
New Question of the Day:

What was the first movie you saw in the cinema?

Close Encounters of the Third Kind at the drive-in with my brother and his wife. It's still in in my top ten.

Favorite childhood game? "Red rover, red rover, send (insert name of child you want to break) right over!"

Griesmeel

Wide eyed stumbler.
Registered
Reaction score
A Laurel & Hardy afternoon on my sixth (I think) birthday. Don't remember a title but one of them was that altercation at the expense of a piano. Not much later I discovered that Chaplin was better, but I enjoyed it.

J'Dubee

I make tall stories short
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jdubee.com
The original screening of Disney's Snow White in Joplin Missouri. The year was probably 1938, I recall it may have been in the summer.

And yeah, I do remember it although I had just turned three years old in March of '38. My sister (who was six years older than me) and I talked of nothing else for weeks after we had seen it. I never saw it again until we took our kids to see it around 1968 or so.
I've not seen it since

LindaB

Registered
Reaction score
First movie I saw at the theater, Drive-in mind you, was The Godfather.
My parents would let me go through the paper, pick a movie, take me to the Drive-in, where they'd both fall asleep leaving me to try and make sense of the film.
The Godfather is one of my favorite films to this day.

MoonMan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.the-no-hoper.com
I go back a long way, and the first movie I saw was Scott of the Antarctic. It came out in 1948 but it would have been late 50s when I saw it.

What I most remember is not the movie itself, but the uncomfortable seat. It became still more uncomfortable when we got up to go, because it gave way beneath me. It was my first experience of a tip-up seat, and I'd been sitting on the edge the bit that should be behind your knees. Why didn't somebody tell me?

Deb

Registered
Reaction score
First movie in the theatre

Fantasia when I was three or four years old.

Deb

D.M.White

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, the first movie I remember seeing was The Aristocats. It may have been a re-release though as it was in the 1980s.

MikeG

Writing Crap Every Day
Registered
Reaction score
Huntsville, Alabama and Panama City Beach, FL
Bridge Over the River Qwai. We came in at the end of the showing before ours. For many years, I thought the movie started with the train going into the river and worked backwards. I was really disappointed when I saw the actual movie years later.

As usual, imagination trumps reality.

I'd definitely go into space. I've spent 40 years writing software for NASA. Be nice to go up and visit my code.

Trick Shadow-Walker

ScreenWriter Demon-Kitteh
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, that's a fun one. It would've been the Muppets. I say would've because I was three years old, and ran out terrified within about five minutes. I barely remember a thing.

Not counting that, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, I think.

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
Bridge Over the River Qwai. We came in at the end of the showing before ours. For many years, I thought the movie started with the train going into the river and worked backwards. I was really disappointed when I saw the actual movie years later.

As usual, imagination trumps reality.

I used to watch that with my dad. I probably watched more old movies as a kid than most people see new movies in their lifetime! John Wayne was my hero.

DanielleSilverheart

Words like paint; hard to remmove
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daniellesilverheart.com
First movie I ever went to was the little mermaid...Unfortuatly it had been out for quite some time, however the theater was about six years behind. As I recall the finnaly got the movie Titanic two years ago... I am glad I dont live there anymore...

MsJennaLiz

Registered
Reaction score
So a quick question: what is the policy on posting images? I know some forums don't allow pics to be in posts, you have to leave the url to it, then others don't care as long as it's not too big.

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
AW allows pics, but it's encouraged you use images from sites like Photobucket, where you control the image (and it's fairly easy to control size, too).

J.M.Nelson

Registered
Reaction score
I think my first movie in the cinema was a re-release of Snow White in the 80's. I remember hiding under my seat because the witch scared the bajezzes out of me.

jamesjdye

Registered
Reaction score
I had to sit and think about it for a while, but I'm fairly certain I watched "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" the first time I attended a theatre. I was with my father, brother, and sister. On the way out, I almost got hit by a car, so it taught me of my own mortality; I can't remember most of the details.

Last edited: