Jed's Super-Dooper Newbie Question-of-the-Week Thread

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
I remember I wanted to run out of the theater during Event Horizon.

I was way into my teens when I saw this (if not older). I wanted to watch a sci-fi movie, so we rented this one at the videostore. Bad idea. Very bad idea.

*shudders*

vampgirl278

I DO believe in fairies and magic!
Registered
Reaction score
Huh... that one didn't scare me at all... of course, I'm a HUGE horror movie fan now, so it takes a lot to scare me. I saw Child's Play at a young age (like 10 or 11) and it just kinda stuck with me. The one that scared me the most as an adult was Wes Craven's New Nightmare. There was something that really disturbed me when they made it so 'real' that the actors and actresses were playing themselves getting tormented by Freddy... Freaky... The realistic ones are the ones that get me the most, the out there ones and slasher flicks don't effect me much at all. Actually, the blood and gore and suspense help me relieve my stress quite a bit. I know, I'm weird... *giggles*

TypoToffee

Registered
Reaction score
As well as Tales from the Crypt - it wasn't exactly a horror but the first Robocop sent my bowels into overdrive. The scene where they shoot off his arm - up until that point it was easy to see in films that the special effects were fake - but in that one my brain registered the scene as real - and I couldn't willingly watch anything gruesome after that.

Freddy pupeteering a victim off the roof was another horror no-no moment ... I don't think I saw the while thing but I must have switched channels at the wrong moment. Uggh.

Oh well... as long as we continue to lust for blood... they'll keep makin' em! Come back bambi, all is forgiven.

TypoToffee

Registered
Reaction score
... slasher flicks don't effect me much at all. Actually, the blood and gore and suspense help me relieve my stress quite a bit. I know, I'm weird... *giggles*

...puts away blood sausage and muffins and throws vampgirls invite to tea in the fire...:evil

Spiral

looking at the stars
Registered
Reaction score
I can't remember any movies that scared me as a kid. I loved horror movies. Then I had babies, and now everything scares me. :rolleyes:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That, in conjunction with this discussion, reminded me of this:

Bambi vs Godzilla

I came up with this one

bambigif.gif

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:roll:

Not bad, but I like the original better. That clip brings to mind that movie with Richard Harris, which was horror for all the wrong reasons.

:eek:

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
New QotD

Speaking of which, for reasons that now mystify me, last night as I was sitting in front of the television - with my laptop, I add - and casting about for something to watch, I saw that Showgirls was on.

Knowing full well how bad it was supposed to be, but also having never seen it myself, I figured what the heck, I'd see if it was indeed as bad a film as I had always heard it made out to be.

It wasn't.

It was so, so, SOOOOO much worse. *shudders*

Which prompts me to ask:

Worst movie you'll admit (or not) to seeing?

:scared:

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Griesmeel

Wide eyed stumbler.
Registered
Reaction score
Ator the Invincible, no contest. A low budget rip-off of the Conan franchise, which would qualify as an answer if I hadn't seen that one.
A good laugh though, especially since it wasn't intended to be one. :)

vampgirl278

I DO believe in fairies and magic!
Registered
Reaction score
I hated Austin Powers... I can't stand stupidity for the sole purpose of stupidity. It makes me wanna shoot myself in the head. There was also 28 Days Later... Had to turn it off like 15 minutes in because I just couldn't watch it anymore... HORRIBLE

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
There was also 28 Days Later... Had to turn it off like 15 minutes in because I just couldn't watch it anymore... HORRIBLE

If you didn't like 28 Days Later, then I suggest you avoid 48 Weeks Later. And yes, for my eternal shame, I have it on DVD...

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and honestly....

Ghost Rider was worse than showgirls.

Should have been an awesome, awesome film... and yet it all goes so horribly, tragically wrong.

Griesmeel

Wide eyed stumbler.
Registered
Reaction score
I hated Austin Powers... I can't stand stupidity for the sole purpose of stupidity.

Good point. Not having a budget for hiring actual actors is mitigating. Having a budget, actual actors and handing them a script like that has to be illegal in at least a few countries.

I had the same thing with Austin Powers as with Dumb and Dumber (what's in a name :) ). Everybody was lyrical on how funny those movies were when to me they were just frustratingly predictable, in addition to having below-belt level humor.

Maybe that's why they didn't come to mind, I just stopped watching. All hail the Off button. :D

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
I can't remember any movies that scared me as a kid. I loved horror movies. Then I had babies, and now everything scares me. :rolleyes:

I know what you mean. I come up with horrible things all on my own imagination with out the movies giving me ideas. My kids may never leave the house!

Bad movies? Dumb and Dumber definitely qualifies. I hate that movie! Showgirls was pretty awful too. I'm sure there are more, but I usually block out that which wasted my time.

BeatrixKiddo

Is it summer yet???
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I came up with this one

bambigif.gif

LOL. Best movie EVER.

New Question of the Day: What movie scared the daylights out of you?

I can honestly say The Shining. I saw it as a kid, and those creepy twins gave me nightmares. I thought I could handle it but it was years before I could see it again. (now, it's one of my all time favorites)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and honestly....

Ghost Rider was worse than showgirls.

Should have been an awesome, awesome film... and yet it all goes so horribly, tragically wrong.

What movie with Nicholas Cage doesn't go horribly wrong

Niti Newtfinger

Registered
Reaction score
I'd have to say Austin Powers, it was just too bizarre to be enjoyable. And I'm tired of seeing movies with crude remarks throughout which are supposed to be funny but end up being repulsive.

Still, though. I love movies so much I always end up seeing the ones I think are going to be terrible anyway. :)