Jed's Super-Dooper Newbie Question-of-the-Week Thread

Sandema

Registered
Reaction score
Oranges

I cannot stand the smell of oranges on my fingers after peeling them. I was looking forward to drinking the juice when I came to the US and wow I tasted the yellow stuff it got mixed up with my morning sickness, I poured the whole thing in the sink and that was the end. My children drink it- if I want vitamin C I buy the tablets.
Tomato-Pasta sauce is the second thing ooow...I have no idea why people eat pumpkin....

francist44

Tenacious to a fault
Registered
Reaction score
Spotsylvania Virgina, not the vampire place
Website
www.writerfrans-cave.com
Ok, I suppose I can take shot at this.
Hm, so I basically need to decide which fate I’d prefer should things terribly go wrong. In the sea, I’ll be flattened by tons of seawater while in the other…. I’d be spread about space. To Implode or explode? After much thought I realized there really is but one prudent choice; the depths of the sea. There, should all fail, the fish will take care of the mess, whereas in space… well, there I’d just be more space junk, and there’s already too much of that.

Skyler

Ninja kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know that there are really any foods that I hate per se. I tend to be very accommodating. =)

That said, I don't much care for rice as a general rule, especially in soup or with chicken.

BlackCobra

Registered
Reaction score
Grilled Texas Rib-Eye, cooked medium...corn on the cob, baked Taters and Bud Light! I could live on it.

I agree with Skyler...I don't do rice either! Or Grapefruits! I hate sour candy our anything like that!

Last edited:

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
New Question of the Day:

Are there any foods or drinks that you hate?

Okra, turnips, potted meat, oysters, anchovies, mustard (except with corndogs), energy drinks. I'm sure there's more, but that's all I can think of right now.

Brandt

give it to me straight
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely the ocean. Space would get endlessly boring.

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
I tend to like all foods and even most drinks, but I believe the food I hate would be cheaply made pizzas that they used to serve at my high school. Not so much for the taste or smell, but because of the memories of awkwardness and ostracism that arise from those smells and tastes.

School pizzas were the most disgusting! I still like cheap pizzas from the freezer section though. 89 cents of heaven. We call them crappy pizzas and they're a treat at our house.

Skyler

Ninja kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Lima beans are good when cooked with enough butter to make them tender and mask the starchiness.

Beets--well, there's beets, and then there's beets. Most of the beets you get at the store aren't any too impressive. I have had some pretty good homegrown pickled beets though.

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
Beets taste like dirt, but I grew up eating them. Not pickled though. I never serve them at home, but I'd eat them if someone served them to me.

ashira

Be gentle but honest!
Registered
Reaction score
im not a fan of beer but then again i cant eat anything with gluten in it. I don't im afraid of sharks and zero gravity might make me sick to my stomach

ashira

Be gentle but honest!
Registered
Reaction score
oh man loooove mushrooms. my friend cant stand ever since highschool when they had to disect mushroom. There a fungus she says

LeafintheBreeze

Registered
Reaction score
New Question of the Day:

Meatloaf, mushrooms, blueberries, peas...

There are loads more, I bet.

Oh, and eggnog. And those nutritional drinks, like Ensure. Ugh.

Faith's Embrace

Registered
Reaction score
New Question of the Day:

Hate is a rather strong word. However, in this case I could probably be safe in saying that I hate tomato sauce. Ketchup is fine, tomatoes are just dandy, but whatever they do to the poor little fruit to make it into a sauce (which people seem to adore throwing on everything) makes it simply repulsive. I can not even smell it without gagging. I don't really know why I have such a strong aversion to it really, it just is. :Shrug:

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
New QotD

for the record, I like lima beans.

:D

But that has me thinking - we all have things we don't like to eat, but they tend to be common things we get served at one point or another. Which led me to wonder:

Of the exotic foods that you have tried (lima beans do not count), which did you like the least?

Now, I've had a lot of things: jellyfish, squid, brains, tongue, snake, turtle, sea cucumber (ick), sea urchin (double ick), etc... but even the sea urchin which had the consistency of toothpaste takes a backseat to my all time least favorite item:

the 100 yr old egg. Now, I don't think - or at least I hope - it's not that old, it's just pickled or something, but that's what it's called. It was black, and it was horrid.

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
I suppose the meaning of exotic varies from place to place. Squid or tongue are hardly exotic to me. I haven't had tongue in quite some time, but squid and cuttlefish I have often, as well as octopus.

*drools*

I don't think there's anything "out of the usual" that I've tried that I've hated. Maybe I haven't tried enough stuff yet. ;)

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
to be honest, I don't find squid or octopus or snails or any of that particularly "exotic" either, but I know lots of Americans who would.

:D

and I confess I passed on the live shrimp. Some things I'm just not willing to do.

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Of the exotic foods that you have tried (lima beans do not count), which did you like the least?

Okay, how about czarnina, is that exotic enough? It's a Polish dish I remember being disgusted by when I was a kid. It's duck blood soup.

Another one -- I ate horse conch once and will probably pass on it if I'm ever offered it again. :tongue

Griesmeel

Wide eyed stumbler.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm afraid I'm not very brave when it comes to trying some of the exotic stuff. Where the carapace and tentacles would be enough to make me order steak by themselves I file those under fish anyway. If it involves some animal's private parts I would probably fake a heart attack just for not having to try.
For some it may be funny that I do like bloodsausage and liver and I'm certainly going to try snake when I get the chance.

Oh, how between the ears it is. :)