Jed's Super-Dooper Newbie Question-of-the-Week Thread

Greenify13

Fair Maiden of War.
Registered
Reaction score
Not once was there mention of "large population centers", I'm not even that dumb when I'm in the state I had been then. :D But I would like to replace the word civilization with society, which can be as simple as a group of people who share a nationality or common interest and so forth. Now the paragraph makes more sense. Atleast I still knew the difference between history and prehistory.

PEBKAC2

Will crit for food.
Registered
Reaction score
Greatest achievement in human history? I can't believe nobody has said this yet, but it has to be the invention of the oreo cookie (I prefer mine dipped in milk). Come on, people!

K.C. Robertson

Sitting underneath my laptop
Registered
Reaction score
most likely either a coffeehouse or my office
Website
procrastinationpartyofone.wordpress.com
New Question of the Day:

What was the single greatest achievement in human history?
Beer. I figure it took some guts to try the first fermented beverages (because let's be clear, here - some of them stink pretty badly), and I figure it took some ingenuity to figure out how to make said fermented beverages palatable.

Realistically, the same pseudo-logic could be applied to coffee as well, so my answer really is more like "beer and coffee."

Peter Boyle

Hermit by the Pond
Registered
Reaction score
Beer. I figure it took some guts to try the first fermented beverages (because let's be clear, here - some of them stink pretty badly), and I figure it took some ingenuity to figure out how to make said fermented beverages palatable.

Realistically, the same pseudo-logic could be applied to coffee as well, so my answer really is more like "beer and coffee."

The oldest "Drinkable" beer has recently been retrieved from the bottom of the (I believe Baltic). it is over 200 years old and the lack of sunlight and the low temps on the bottom have preserved it.

The oldest evidence beer is 8,000 years old (wine is over 10,000 years old). The use of marijuana goes back about 12,000 years.

Peter Boyle

Hermit by the Pond
Registered
Reaction score
WTF?

An I thought this was a serious question that deserved a serious reply.....silly me.

OK, I'll play.

1. Birth Control Pill - in the 60's it opened up a whole new world of earthly delights.

2. The Internet - I don't have to go to those grubby little back alley shops anymore.

3. Medical Marijuana - What's wrong with a natural herb that you can grow in your garden and not only takes the pain away but also improves your attitude.

Rustydogz

Registered
Reaction score
1. Wine and beer? How about Kumis? (Fermented Goat's or Mare's milk). It is likely the oldest fermented beverage, thus proving that even ancient humans found the need to get drunk. So Kumis is on my list.

2. Writing. Writing is the expression of speech, of thought, and so is the foundation of everything in society.

3. Bikinis. Heh heh.

There you go, a little serious, a little humor.

LGwenn

Rollin' Boulders, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Refrigeration. Made it possible to store food so instead of spending all our time hunting and gathering we get to sit on comfy couches and waste our lives on the internet!

Ratiekae

Loves blue jeans and irony.
Registered
Reaction score
1. Private bathrooms on my dorm floor. Now I get privacy and I'm not responsible for cleaning a bathroom.

2. Discount DVD bins. The movies there are usually crap, but every now and then you can find a gem. For $6.

3. Ramen. Yes it's cliche, but frick it it's delicious.

Ctnyrene

Registered
Reaction score
Oooh this is a hard one......

1. Gummy Bears (Harry and David preferably)

2. Motrin

3. Paper

At least these are the ones I can't live without...

Peter Boyle

Hermit by the Pond
Registered
Reaction score
icon7.gif
Yes, by all means...a new question please.
icon14.gif

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It seems my partner in Modding is being kept busy in the real world so here's the new Question of the Day

If you could change one thing about yourself what would it be?

Last edited:

Peter Boyle

Hermit by the Pond
Registered
Reaction score
(The old man smiles
icon7.gif
) I'm assuming that you meant to ask 'One thing' not 'one things', so I'll answer the assumed varietal.

The one thing I would change is my age...but ONLY if I could retain ALL I've learned and experienced.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
The one thing I would change is my age...but ONLY if I could retain ALL I've learned and experienced.

I was going to say, "Nothing. I'm perfect."

But I think I'll steal Peter's answer instead. I'd like to be the same age as my kids are (20's). With fifty years' experience. :tongue

Kitty Black

Slowly circling the drain....
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for filling in, Regdog. If I could change one thing about myself, I'd want more backbone when dealing with people face to face. I have no problem picking up garter snakes and wolf spiders. I've skied and parasailed and cliff-jumped. But confrontation? I just don't do it. And sometimes I should. :Shrug:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm always happy to fill when Jed's out and about

Griesmeel

Wide eyed stumbler.
Registered
Reaction score
A hopeless lazystreak, huge bother when you need actual discipline, I'm told it's something you require to be a novelist.
And I salute Peter as well: I definitaly wouldn't mind going back to being, oooooh, 12-ish again, with all I know now along for the ride.
Maybe Yeshanu's thing is not such a bad idea for me either, I don't have to be right in thinking I'm perfect but it would give a welcome boost to my self esteem/confidence. :)

Oh bother. When I get to see that genie it's a multiple choice, the other two wishes will have been spent on filthy rich and flying ability already. :(