Jed's Super-Dooper Newbie Question-of-the-Week Thread

Tobias54

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
OMG. I loved that book twenty years ago.

I started a book called Sabertooth. Except my animals don't talk.

I thought I would reread Watership Dwon and it bored me to death. Have I clanged? Has the world changed? Have I turned into an instant gratification reader??? Oh No!

pbandj

Registered
Reaction score
I, too, am in the almost never re-read books camp. There's just too many new ones on my 'To Be Read' list! The one I can think back to re-reading every once in a while is Acorna: The Unicorn Girl. It was the first sci-fi book I ever read waaay back when I was just a small square of pbandj back in middle school. Every once in a while I like to re-read it and remember what made me love sci-fi. :)

Charles Gull

Registered
Reaction score
'Brave new world' by Aldus Huxley

Indeed I believe it should be mandatory that everybody reads this book once every 10 years. Each time you do, you shall find yourself ticking off more and more things that have passed from his vision into everyday life.

It is quite unnerving!

MildEnigma

Registered
Reaction score
I would love to, but seriously, I have a TBR bookshelf and I just don't seem to have the time for re-reads. I have reread Maggie Stiefvater's Raven Cycle, and that just gets better when you re-read it.

n.advena

Registered
Reaction score
New Question of the Week: Do you have a book that you return to every now and again because you've enjoyed it so much?

Guiltily, I return to read the beginning of Twilight every so often (only until the baseball date begins and then I stop reading until I return to it again). I've also returned to Eragon a few times.

horse_chick87

Jo Carter
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writerjocarter.com
"Every now and again" is more like every few years for me. I have such a backlog of books to read (100+ that I own and have never opened) that I rarely re-read, but the ones I do are: Harry Potter and Twilight. Sometimes I'll read an excerpt from a novel when I'm in the mood.

rdelauter

Registered
Reaction score
I will sometimes reread Tom Clancy's earlier work, but generally, I have a such a back log of books I want to read I can't find the time. I will read classics again now that I'm older. And as an aspiring writer, I have a different reason for reading them.

canne

Registered
Reaction score
Hemingway's The Old Man and the Sea. It's amazing how a story can touch you differently as you get older and reread. Though it's a short novel, it speaks volumes.

endangeredspecie

Registered
Reaction score
New Question of the Week: Do you have a book that you return to every now and again because you've enjoyed it so much?

YES, definitely. Rebecca, by Daphné du Maurier. It's my favourite book and I never seem to get tired of reading it. It has become a ritual. Every two months or so, I read it again, and it's a fresh experience every time. It was also my first romance/mystery novel and it made me fall in love with the genre.

Malchy

Registered
Reaction score
Yes - The Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson. A maddeningly complex story that took me several months just to wrap my head around, but I absolutely LOVE the descriptive language and often jump to any page just for inspiration. (Plus, every re-read bring up a new tidbit that impacts my understanding of the overall story).

Singcali

Registered
Reaction score
Pride and Prejudice. A little girlie time when I need it. If not The Eye of the World.:snoopy:

Last edited:

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score

I have several I re-read, but my favorite one, by a Portuguese author, pulls me in for another read time and time again. In English, I have re-read Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book a few times.

Kylie Chanae

Registered
Reaction score
Anrenke11, we can be trite and predictable together! Harry Potter, Jane Eyre, and Emma are some of my favorites. I just re-read every novel by Jane Austen and the Bronte sisters while recovering from a surgery this winter.

Ally_K

Registered
Reaction score
The Vampire Academy series, they inspire me to do so many things. And of course Ender's Game. Such awesome books.

James Ryan

Registered
Reaction score
Crime and Punishment by and of course I never finished the Brothers Karamazov. Maybe it is weird but I have loved Dostoevsky's work since I was young. Also, if I could ever find another copy, I loved a book called The Queen's Bastard.

SaraP

Registered
Reaction score
Let's try to make this a little bit more regular...

It's Sunday! A new week! A new opportunity for a new question! Oh, the joy! The endless possibilities!

Well *ahem* you get the idea. So!

Tomorrow there's a solar eclipse in North America. Are you all ready-set-go to watch? If you're not in a viewable area, would you get all ready-set-go to watch it?

I confess I haven't done much. With two little ones at home I doubt I would have much of a chance anyway. Heck, if the timing is right and they're both asleep, I might try to sneak in a nap, too. :e2yawn:

novicewriter

Registered
Reaction score
Tomorrow there's a solar eclipse in North America. Are you all ready-set-go to watch? If you're not in a viewable area, would you get all ready-set-go to watch it?

(when you live in the area of totality, but the weather is scheduled to be partly cloudy, then rainy, on the day of the eclipse.):cry:

Last edited:

Benny

Registered
Reaction score
I totally would! There was a total solar eclipse in Germany in 1999, I think - but I was small and not in the umbra shadow. So all I saw was: bright sun nibbled at by something wee and black. And then it was the usual clear white circle again. But I hope you guys do see more!

novicewriter

Registered
Reaction score
:hooray: Well, the weather changed, so I was able to see the total eclipse, after all. It was weird and neat when the sky went dark: the temperature was cooler; my neighbor's lights turned on, automatically, inside their house; and passing drivers had their lights turned on, all during the middle of the day, yet looking as though it were 9:30 at night. I'd only seen a partial eclipse before, when I was a kid, so this was different from the other time.

Last edited:

SaraP

Registered
Reaction score
New question time!

For the past few days social media has filled up with pictures of kids going back to school. What's your favorite back-to-school memory from when you were a kid?

At the school where I did grades 1-4 they always held a back-to-school books & school supplies sale on the first day. I imagine my mom didn't enjoy the expense, but I loved that day. There were no classes, and while all our parents were busy buying our stuff, we kids got to reconnect past the summer break and do nothing but play on my school's amazing grounds. Good times. :)

Fullon_v4.0

Shard Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rtdriver90.tumblr.com
For the past few days social media has filled up with pictures of kids going back to school. What's your favorite back-to-school memory from when you were a kid?

I gotta say it was 8th grade in the middle of the first week or so of school. We had a gym class that I really didn't want to be in, but thankfully we had a fire drill. The downside was it was pouring outside.

The good thing that came out of it was that I formed a measure of comradely with some people from other "cliques" I wouldn't normally talk to, and came out of it with some new friends at the start of the year, some of which I still talk to regularly today!