Proper Formatting for Flashback?

saulsx

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.themagicstudio.net
I have a scene in which the main character re-lives a past experience and I'm having trouble with formatting.

Example:

INT. LIVING ROOM - NIGHT

MAIN GUY sits on floor. Looks up (as if someone enters front door but nobody's there).

Begin Flashback -
Girl enters front door. Main guy smiles.

Back to present -
Guy stands.

Flashback -
Girl walks over to guy, they start dancing.

Present-
Guy dances by himself.

The scene/sequence goes on for a while longer, cutting between the present and past. The main character dances with the girl in the flashback, which takes place during a party, and dances by himself in the present. When the flashback ends, he's left standing alone in an empty room. This is from a short script that I plan on shooting some time early next year, but I'm trying to avoid any confusion for crew/actors. Thanks for any input.

Last edited:

ComicBent

Registered
Reaction score
Well, if you were doing a regular flashback, I would recommend a method different from what I am about to recommend now.

You are really talking about a series of shots, with some of the shots being in the past and some in the present.

I would probably try this method, which makes everything clear:
Code:
INT. LIVING ROOM - NIGHT

INTERCUT BETWEEN PAST AND PRESENT

PRESENT
Main character sits on floor.

PAST
Girl enters front door.

GIRL
    Hi, darling!

Main guy smiles.

PRESENT
Main guy does something.

PAST
Girl does something.
And so forth.

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
There really are no rules for this kind of thing, just make sure it's clear. I would avoid cutting back and forth as much as possible because it gets tedious to keep track of and it's not a very fun read. I think it's really more of an editing problem than a script one because there are any number of ways you could cut a sequence like this so at this stage, I'd just try to keep it very simple like...

INT. HOUSE - NIGHT

Mike drinks alone in an armchair as the party bustles around him. He looks over to the front door, stares a moment and then experiences an intense flashback as MARIE enters the house.

Mike smiles. Captivated. Remembering.

He gets up, crosses to her.

MIKE
I was hoping you'd come.

Marie smiles and she slips into his arms. They begin to dance.

The party guests stare curiously. They do not see Marie - just Mike dancing by himself, swaying to the music.

Mike leans in to kiss Marie as the song abruptly ends and he is jolted back to reality.

Mike turns, scanning the concerned faces of his friends.

He spins back. Marie is gone.

Now, I really didn't put much effort into that so it's not great but hopefully you'll see what I'm getting at. More technical minds may prefer a clearer labelling of begin/end flashback but it's far too clinical for me and I think you can trust the reader's intellect to understand that there are two different moments going on at the same time without having to announce which one is stopping and starting. Like I said, this scene will be "made" in the editing room so just make sure your intention here (that Mike is remembering) is clear.

Unsurprisingly, the flashback question has been asked before (the search function is your friend) so take a look through some of these other threads to see if there are more suitable examples.

Flashbacks
Flashbacks
Flashback Question
flashbacks
Flashback scene?
Writing a Flashback
FLASHBACKS
Flashback use
Need Assistance w/ Flashbacks

Last edited:

saulsx

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.themagicstudio.net
Thanks for the replies and links. All very helpful info. The flashback serves mainly as the turning point for the script, along with a little more background on their relationship (character development), and I guess what would be the climax of the character arc.

It could be more of an editing issue. I was leaning toward writing it into the script that way - as a flashback scene that jumps from past to present several times - but I was trying to avoid making it hard to read and confusing.

ManyAk

Registered
Reaction score
There is not a proper way to do this, but this is the way I do it and that's what my teacher taught me so whatever :

You have a different scene everytime you move through time or change sets. So having a flashback is definitely another scene, because you go back in time (you move through time). So you just have to put flashback at the end of the scene heading.

INT. CAR - DAY - FLASHBACK

When the flashback scene is done, and when you go back to the present time, you move through time again, so you have another scene. Except that this time, you won't put flashback at the end of the scene heading.

Good luck with everything.

FTL

Registered
Reaction score
Manyak, I would at least put PRESENT at the end of the scene heading...just to clarify.

ManyAk

Registered
Reaction score
Manyak, I would at least put PRESENT at the end of the scene heading...just to clarify.

I don't think it's necessary, because it's common sense that when you don't put FLASHBACK, it's present.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Methinks the standard flag to signal end of a flashback is:

BACK TO SCENE

-Derek

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
Ayup, that be it. Though I think I have seen the standard CUT TO on occasion, but BACK TO SCENE seems a better fit. Besides, Cameron uses it whenever he deigns to write a script!

ManyAk

Registered
Reaction score
You put that at the end of a slugline or as a transition? I'm talking about BACK TO SCENE (CUT TO obviously goes as transition).

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Just plain text against the left margin does the biz:

INT. RUSSIAN AMBASSADOR'S STUDY - NIGHT

Blenkinsop switches on the desk lamp. He hurriedly searches through the desk drawers.

He pulls out a red folder, opens it.

Inside, a security file for MAJOR OLGA VURSKOV of the KGB. Paperclipped to the file is a photograph. It's Betty, wearing KGB uniform!

Blenkinsop can't believe it--

EXT. GOLDEN BEACH - DAY (FLASHBACK)

Blenkinsop and Betty, in swimsuits, wet from the ocean, hold each other.

BETTY
I never thought I'd love
anyone again. Don't leave
me, Charles, please...

They kiss passionately.

BACK TO SCENE

Blenkinsop stares at the photograph. He closes the folder. Takes a deep breath.

Heavy FOOTSTEPS in the hall outside, approaching.

Blenkinsop draws his gun and switches the lamp off.

-Derek