• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

The Rappaport Agency (Jenny Rappaport)

mlhernandez

Registered
Reaction score
Jenny Rappaport leaving L. Perkins Agency

Seems Jenny Rappaport has left L. Perkins Agency to start her own boutique agency, The Rappaport Agency, focusing on science fiction and fantasy, YA, and romance.

Here's the official announcement on Jenny's blog, Lit Soup.

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
I'll keep that in mind for the future. I already queried her at L. Perkins and got an 'R' last July. Thanks for the info!

Karen Duvall

Chalice the Hatchet Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.karenduvall.blogspot.com
I worry about Jenny's health. Is she better now? I used to read her blog all the time and she seemed to have so many health issues that I feared the stress of her job was too much for her. For that reason, I never sent her a query. I hope her illness is not longer an issue. Maybe starting her own agency is what she needed to get healthy.

mlhernandez

Registered
Reaction score
I worry about Jenny's health. Is she better now? I used to read her blog all the time and she seemed to have so many health issues that I feared the stress of her job was too much for her. For that reason, I never sent her a query. I hope her illness is not longer an issue. Maybe starting her own agency is what she needed to get healthy.

I'll be honest and admit I had this same worry but queried her anyway. She sounds incredibly personable and enthusiastic but I think she might benefit from scaling back those health posts on her blog. When you're choosing agents to query little things like the number of conferences she's missed due to illness or the number of times she's in the hospital can alter your ranking.

I agree with Karen. Hopefully having her own agency will benefit her health.

Karen Duvall

Chalice the Hatchet Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.karenduvall.blogspot.com
No kidding. I was thinking that if she was in the hospital so much, missed so many conferences, how often is she too sick to follow up with editors? How many editor lunches does she miss? How often do client manuscripts go by the wayside because she's too ill to read them? That wasn't something I was willing to deal with. Hopefully she'll announce somewhere that she's in tip top shape and full of energy, ready to go to bat for her clients in full force. Otherwise...

Marva

Registered
Reaction score
I've been holding back on her health issues. She really should notice what she puts on her blog for the appearance it may give potential clients. I don't think I'll query Jenny. Wish her the best and all that, but I'd like an agent who isn't spending so much time under the weather.

kiwiauthor

Registered
Reaction score
... I can't believe that people would discrimination on grounds of health. What matters, generally speaking, is that she has an excellent track record for such a young agent.

Conversely, I had a wonderfully healthy agent who couldn't sell sh** :)

RichardDeanStarr

Registered
Reaction score
... I can't believe that people would discrimination on grounds of health. What matters, generally speaking, is that she has an excellent track record for such a young agent.

Conversely, I had a wonderfully healthy agent who couldn't sell sh** :)

Well, I haven't had an agent yet, but I'll say this: Ms. Rappaport seems like a humorous, attentive, and caring person, and I think that’s a powerful starting point for a successful author-client relationship. That her track record also appears successful is another point in her favor. Her apparent illnesses strike me as irrelevant at best, and I agree with the previous poster’s disdain for such discrimination.

As for me, I’m not looking for an agent to springboard me to the next level just so that I can jump ship for a "superstar" agent who strolls in after all the hard work is done. I could be wrong, but Ms. Rappaport strikes me as someone who would be loyal and watch out for the best interests of her clients. I suspect the same cannot be said for many agents, especially the ones I’ve interacted with on a limited basis in the past.

Just my two-cents.

Oh, and her cat looks terrific. Just saying...

Alphabeter

Player of the Letters
Registered
Reaction score
Its not her health, its that many a scammer has used posts about their poor health as excuses when their scam started getting smelly. I hope she gets better, but if its groundwork for problems later...

I sincerely hope Ms. Rappaport is able to serve her clients well.

Tigercub

Registered
Reaction score
I queried her several months ago. Never got a response. I'm dithering about trying her again now, but the no response thing has me hesitating.

mlhernandez

Registered
Reaction score
I queried her several months ago. Never got a response. I'm dithering about trying her again now, but the no response thing has me hesitating.

You might try her again. When I queried, her assistant got back to me within a couple of hours.

caromora

Still alive. Kind of.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkstaind-stars.livejournal.com
Its not her health, its that many a scammer has used posts about their poor health as excuses when their scam started getting smelly. I hope she gets better, but if its groundwork for problems later...

Jenny has never shown any signs of being less than forthright. She's consistently made sales for, and looked out for the interests of, her clients.

It's really unfair, in my opinion, to even bring up scammers when talking about her.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Agreed. Jenny Rappaport is a highly respected and well connected agent who happens to reside quite near the top of my dream agent list. Any spec fic writer would turn cartwheels to be represented by her.

kiwiauthor

Registered
Reaction score

... scammer? I'm rolling on the floor laughing. Folio, and then Lori Perkins wouldn't employ a scammer. Even the comparison is laughable. Scammers look for an excuse. "Health issues' appear out of the blue. Jenny is absolutely up front. Oh, and she has a proven track record in the book selling business. Just saying.

Last edited:

mlhernandez

Registered
Reaction score
OK. I just wanted to be very clear that my comment upstream about ranking agents via info broadcast on their blogs was in no way implying that Jenny R. is any kind of scammer. I mean, seriously, whoa. My only point was that writers scour agent blogs for info and sometimes the things we read influence our decisions as to what order we might query agents or if we query them at all. That's it.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
As far as I know, she is. I read Jodi's blog.

MicheleLee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michelelee.net
I sent Jenny my partial on Jan. 1, 2008. I still have not heard a thing, and I have prodded twice. The first time she confirmed that she receive it and had just been under the weather lately. I received no response months later when I emailed again.

Just sharing. Your mileage may vary.

ETA: BTW the request came via email to a query sent at the beginning of November in 2007.

Last edited:

jodimeadows

Master of Typos!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jodimeadows.com
I sent Jenny my partial on Jan. 1, 2008. I still have not heard a thing, and I have prodded twice. The first time she confirmed that she receive it and had just been under the weather lately. I received no response months later when I emailed again.

Just sharing. Your mileage may vary.

ETA: BTW the request came via email to a query sent at the beginning of November in 2007.

She's working her way through old requested materials as we speak. Just hang out a bit longer, and she'll get to you. :)

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
She gives good partial, too.

Uber fast, and her feedback's got a great beat you can dance to.