AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Rappaport Agency (Jenny Rappaport)

practical experience, FTW mlhernandez's Avatar

Jenny Rappaport leaving L. Perkins Agency

Seems Jenny Rappaport has left L. Perkins Agency to start her own boutique agency, The Rappaport Agency, focusing on science fiction and fantasy, YA, and romance.

Here's the official announcement on Jenny's blog, Lit Soup.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Thanks for the update. Here's her new site: http://www.rappaportagency.com/
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

I'll keep that in mind for the future. I already queried her at L. Perkins and got an 'R' last July. Thanks for the info!
    Vixey

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter.-Dr. Seuss

"Thank God for fingers and muses. Writing is like singing the blues on a laptop."-cwj

Chalice the Hatchet Knight Karen Duvall's Avatar
    I worry about Jenny's health. Is she better now? I used to read her blog all the time and she seemed to have so many health issues that I feared the stress of her job was too much for her. For that reason, I never sent her a query. I hope her illness is not longer an issue. Maybe starting her own agency is what she needed to get healthy.
    Karen Duvall
    Blog
    Website
    Twitter
    Facebook

KNIGHT'S CURSE -- A Publisher's Weekly Top 10 Pick for Fall 2011 (Harlequin Luna)
    DARKEST KNIGHT -- Sequel to KNIGHT'S CURSE released March 2012 (Harlequin Luna)
    SUN STORM -- Novella in Harlequin's TIL THE WORLD ENDS Anthology

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Duvall View Post
    I worry about Jenny's health. Is she better now? I used to read her blog all the time and she seemed to have so many health issues that I feared the stress of her job was too much for her. For that reason, I never sent her a query. I hope her illness is not longer an issue. Maybe starting her own agency is what she needed to get healthy.
    I'll be honest and admit I had this same worry but queried her anyway. She sounds incredibly personable and enthusiastic but I think she might benefit from scaling back those health posts on her blog. When you're choosing agents to query little things like the number of conferences she's missed due to illness or the number of times she's in the hospital can alter your ranking.

I agree with Karen. Hopefully having her own agency will benefit her health.

Chalice the Hatchet Knight Karen Duvall's Avatar
    No kidding. I was thinking that if she was in the hospital so much, missed so many conferences, how often is she too sick to follow up with editors? How many editor lunches does she miss? How often do client manuscripts go by the wayside because she's too ill to read them? That wasn't something I was willing to deal with. Hopefully she'll announce somewhere that she's in tip top shape and full of energy, ready to go to bat for her clients in full force. Otherwise...
    Karen Duvall
    Blog
    Website
    Twitter
    Facebook

KNIGHT'S CURSE -- A Publisher's Weekly Top 10 Pick for Fall 2011 (Harlequin Luna)
    DARKEST KNIGHT -- Sequel to KNIGHT'S CURSE released March 2012 (Harlequin Luna)
    SUN STORM -- Novella in Harlequin's TIL THE WORLD ENDS Anthology

This hat is getting too hot Chumplet's Avatar
    Well, I'm happy for her anyway. I was her first Book Block experiment. I wish her supa dupa luck!

practical experience, FTW
    I've been holding back on her health issues. She really should notice what she puts on her blog for the appearance it may give potential clients. I don't think I'll query Jenny. Wish her the best and all that, but I'd like an agent who isn't spending so much time under the weather.

practical experience, FTW kiwiauthor's Avatar
    ... I can't believe that people would discrimination on grounds of health. What matters, generally speaking, is that she has an excellent track record for such a young agent.

Conversely, I had a wonderfully healthy agent who couldn't sell sh**

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwiauthor View Post
    ... I can't believe that people would discrimination on grounds of health. What matters, generally speaking, is that she has an excellent track record for such a young agent.

Conversely, I had a wonderfully healthy agent who couldn't sell sh**
    Well, I haven't had an agent yet, but I'll say this: Ms. Rappaport seems like a humorous, attentive, and caring person, and I think thatís a powerful starting point for a successful author-client relationship. That her track record also appears successful is another point in her favor. Her apparent illnesses strike me as irrelevant at best, and I agree with the previous posterís disdain for such discrimination.

As for me, Iím not looking for an agent to springboard me to the next level just so that I can jump ship for a "superstar" agent who strolls in after all the hard work is done. I could be wrong, but Ms. Rappaport strikes me as someone who would be loyal and watch out for the best interests of her clients. I suspect the same cannot be said for many agents, especially the ones Iíve interacted with on a limited basis in the past.

Just my two-cents.

Oh, and her cat looks terrific. Just saying...

Player of the Letters Alphabeter's Avatar
    Its not her health, its that many a scammer has used posts about their poor health as excuses when their scam started getting smelly. I hope she gets better, but if its groundwork for problems later...

I sincerely hope Ms. Rappaport is able to serve her clients well.
    Joy

Writing is a lot like sex.
    At first you do it because you like it.
    Then you find yourself doing it for a few close friends and people you like.
    But if you're any good at all...you end up doing it for money.

practical experience, FTW Tigercub's Avatar
    I queried her several months ago. Never got a response. I'm dithering about trying her again now, but the no response thing has me hesitating.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigercub View Post
    I queried her several months ago. Never got a response. I'm dithering about trying her again now, but the no response thing has me hesitating.
    You might try her again. When I queried, her assistant got back to me within a couple of hours.

Quote Originally Posted by mlhernandez View Post
    You might try her again. When I queried, her assistant got back to me within a couple of hours.
    Me too. Sent me a very encouraging rejection.

Quote Originally Posted by Alphabeter View Post
    Its not her health, its that many a scammer has used posts about their poor health as excuses when their scam started getting smelly. I hope she gets better, but if its groundwork for problems later...

Jenny has never shown any signs of being less than forthright. She's consistently made sales for, and looked out for the interests of, her clients.

It's really unfair, in my opinion, to even bring up scammers when talking about her.

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you mscelina's Avatar
    Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fudz. Not pie. I do not share pie. EVER.
    Agreed. Jenny Rappaport is a highly respected and well connected agent who happens to reside quite near the top of my dream agent list. Any spec fic writer would turn cartwheels to be represented by her.

practical experience, FTW kiwiauthor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphabeter View Post

... scammer? I'm rolling on the floor laughing. Folio, and then Lori Perkins wouldn't employ a scammer. Even the comparison is laughable. Scammers look for an excuse. "Health issues' appear out of the blue. Jenny is absolutely up front. Oh, and she has a proven track record in the book selling business. Just saying.
    Last edited by kiwiauthor; 11-26-2008 at 04:09 AM.

OK. I just wanted to be very clear that my comment upstream about ranking agents via info broadcast on their blogs was in no way implying that Jenny R. is any kind of scammer. I mean, seriously, whoa. My only point was that writers scour agent blogs for info and sometimes the things we read influence our decisions as to what order we might query agents or if we query them at all. That's it.

Procrastinator/Doddlebutter bocabum's Avatar
    anybody know if Jenny's assistant is still Jodi Meadows??

They will come from below... Tasmin21's Avatar
    As far as I know, she is. I read Jodi's blog.
    On Literary Intent, Facebook, Twitter, Reluctant Adults

Second Olympus: Now Available!
    The Music Box Girl: Coming April 26th!
    Peacemaker: Re-release June 2016

practical experience, FTW MicheleLee's Avatar
    I sent Jenny my partial on Jan. 1, 2008. I still have not heard a thing, and I have prodded twice. The first time she confirmed that she receive it and had just been under the weather lately. I received no response months later when I emailed again.

Just sharing. Your mileage may vary.

ETA: BTW the request came via email to a query sent at the beginning of November in 2007.
    Last edited by MicheleLee; 12-18-2008 at 01:28 AM. Reason: Adding more information
    My Webpage
    Monster Librarian YA Editor

Coming soon~~>Wolf Heart-Where the wild things are...

Deepdale Acres Romances #1 & #2<~~Now Available

Quote Originally Posted by MicheleLee View Post
    I sent Jenny my partial on Jan. 1, 2008. I still have not heard a thing, and I have prodded twice. The first time she confirmed that she receive it and had just been under the weather lately. I received no response months later when I emailed again.

Just sharing. Your mileage may vary.

ETA: BTW the request came via email to a query sent at the beginning of November in 2007.
    She's working her way through old requested materials as we speak. Just hang out a bit longer, and she'll get to you. :)

Quote Originally Posted by bocabum View Post
    anybody know if Jenny's assistant is still Jodi Meadows??
    I know, I know!

Yes. :)

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Jodi, welcome, and thanks for contributing.

- Victoria

She gives good partial, too.

Uber fast, and her feedback's got a great beat you can dance to.
    Moral of the story: Soy yogurt is evil and don't cross picketlines. -Twizzle

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast