AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Contest] Xerox Aspiring Authors

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar

[Contest] Xerox Aspiring Authors

http://www.xeroxaspiringauthors.com/

First prize is $5,000 and 100 copies of your book.

All entrants get one free copy of their book (up to the first 1,000 entries). Book production is done by Lulu.com.

Thing is -- if your book is good enough to win the contest, it's good enough to sell to a real publisher for a $5K advance, plus promotion, plus distribution, plus royalties. If you want a book from Lulu.com, you can just go over there and upload your manuscript and Bob's-your-uncle you'll have it.

Xerox is trying to sell DocuTech machines. Lulu is trying to get their name out in the self-publishing community. I don't see an advantage for a serious author.

If all's you want is a book with your name on the cover -- this is one way to do it.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Oooo, technology. Whadya think the base price is? 10k? 20?

http://www.xerox.com/go/xrx/equipmen...SA&Xlang=en_US
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

A new DocuTech runs over a quarter of a million bucks.

but appreciated anyway... Unimportant's Avatar
    But can't you enter this contest, get your free copy (or 100 copies) AND submit your book to a proper publisher? They don't appear to be publishing your book, just printing bound copies, and they don't appear to be taking any rights. Heck, if your book is good enough to win/get published, you'd end up with ten grand instead of five.

What angle have I missed, Jim?

Actually, near as I can see, no angle at all.

Go for it, get the ten grand.

but appreciated anyway... Unimportant's Avatar
    <laughing> Yeah, I'll go for the ten grand. Just as soon as I write a book....and as soon as I take up residence in the USA....

:-)

<And in case anyone cares, I can say, speaking from experience, that Viable Paradise IS the workshop you've been looking for.>
    Last edited by Unimportant; 05-10-2005 at 08:08 AM. Reason: (went and read the fine print at Xerox requiring US residency)

Quote Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald
    A new DocuTech runs over a quarter of a million bucks.
    *boggle* Heh. So much for getting a few friends to invest in my New Publishing Paradigm. I wonder if they lease….
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

That's another reason you're not going to see Print-On-Demand kiosks in malls anytime soon. In addition to needing an au pair service tech, you'd have to keep the thing churning and burning 24 hours a day to earn back the purchase price.

Cultus Gopherus MacAllister Medievalist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald
    That's another reason you're not going to see Print-On-Demand kiosks in malls anytime soon. In addition to needing an au pair service tech, you'd have to keep the thing churning and burning 24 hours a day to earn back the purchase price.
    Oh, it's worse than that. The real money comes into the picture when you have to pay for cooling and venting, and electricity--and the service contract. You have to get a service contract; there's no way around it. You also have to buy supplies from Xerox (what a surprise!)You'd probably want to pay for special sound proofing too--this is not quiet equipment. The fan system alone is enough to make me wear headphones. Venting is also a necessity because not only do the ink and adhesives smell, they're not exactly healthy. Can't see a Mall going for that.

I'd probably go with IBM for a mall; the DocuTech is seriously nifty, but overkill for mall startup--and that's not a viable business. Really. It's not going to work, and Xerox, Canon, HP and IBM all know it's not. What they think will happen is service bureaus in malls, where you submit files, pay a production and print fee, and the goods are delivered to your location. Kinko's wasn't being whimsical when they joined FedEx; they'd been talking for at least two years.

'Sides, no one buys DocuTechs at the all-in-one level; you lease them, and get a new one every two years.

AW Admin: This account is rarely active
    About.Me
    AWers On Twitter
    Lisa L. Spangenberg
    My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?

Well, if you're planning to go POD anyway because you have a small niche audience, and you think POD will work for you, there are worse ways to go about it. Simply by entering this contest, you pay no set-up fees and get one free printed copy of your book. And maybe you get more, if you happen to be one of the prize winners.

However, from my reading, it looks like they choose the ten finalists based on a 200 word synopsis only! They don't even look at the books themselves until they have chosen ten on the basis of your cover blurb. So, if you want to win, you can't just write a good novel--you have to write the most interesting cover blurb.

For those interested, here's the results (cached cuz the Xerox site gave me stack errors).
    ICAO
    ---------

practical experience, FTW Tom Johnson's Avatar
    James,
    Congratulations on your story in F&SF! Just out of curiosity, do you mind telling me how long it took from acceptance to publication? I've had a manuscript sitting at TOR for over a year now, still waiting for them to read it. I've been told that it may take them two years to get around to reading a manuscript, and another two years to print it - if it's accepted!

Just out of curiosity, do you mind telling me how long it took from acceptance to publication?
    Around a year.