The "I can't flippin' believe I'm this far behind but I'm not giving up yet" thread

Deccydiva

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
I wondered why my thread was merged with this.

I just needed help, I didn't post that to play around. :(

Nobody can do the writing for you, there's plenty of good advice around, basically just sit and type regardless of what is coming out. Think of a conversation you've had with somebody that stuck in your mind, have your character read a child a story, then tell that story in your own words in quote marks. Think about a good day you had and relate that in high detail... it'll come, really, but you do have to force yourself to sit down and do it... good luck! ;)

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wondered why my thread was merged with this.

I just needed help, I didn't post that to play around. :(

Blue, I merged because there were multiple threads about being behind in the word count. Now there is a single thread to get advice or encouragement.

Go write, sweetie.

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Repeat after me: I AM NOT BEHIND.

And you aren't. You're how ever many words farther ahead on your story than you would be if Nov. 1st you had said, "Nano? Nah...."
Err, me being a naive concrete thinker, may I ask what this means?

Does this mean "better than nothing?"

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm about 10K behind at this point (sitting at roughly 18K done), but things are conspiring against me.

1. I blew out my hand (old injury that left me almost crippled for 3 years), so I've had to take it VERY easy on everything, including typing. Getting in almost 3K over the weekend has brought me to meds and splits again. Doesn't bode well, but I'll see what I can do.

2. My birthday is this week, so I'm losing an entire evening to that. I knew it was going to happen, but I didn't expect to be behind when it did.

3. Local write-ins are more gab-fests then being able to get anything written, which was another major disappointment.

I've got a 4 day weekend for Turkey Day (and NO obligations), so I'm hoping for a big push then, but we'll see.

My one consolation is the fact that I really really like the story I'm writing and actually have hopes of finishing my first solo novel since I split with my collaborator a couple years ago. If NaNo pulls that together for me, I'll still consider it a big win, regardless of my word count on the 30th.

Renee Collins

Plotting . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Website
midnightmeditations.blogspot.com
Another NaNo slacker joins the ranks. :hi:

I have just over 13k written. I actually got that really fast, and then I started to think about the beginning, about how I wanted to fix it. Now I've rewritten chapter 2, cut a huge scene from chapter 4, and basically ignored the entire point of NaNoWriMo.

Ah well. Truthfully, I don't mind being a NaNo failure. I know I can finish a book, and I know I will finish this book. Who cares if I do it in two or three months instead of one?

I agree with the people who have told those who are fretting over missed quotas that it is awesome that you even started! Be proud.

Last edited:

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
[This duplicate message has been deleted... ;) ]

Last edited:

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Err, me being a naive concrete thinker, may I ask what this means?

Does this mean "better than nothing?"

If you start with 0 words, and you end up with 5000 words, you've progressed forward. NaNo is about moving forward. You may or may not reach 50000, but you've already moved forward, hence, you can't be behind.

And yes, it's a lot better than nothing. :)

KarlaErikaCal

YA romance writer in love with love
Registered
Reaction score
If you start with 0 words, and you end up with 5000 words, you've progressed forward. NaNo is about moving forward. You may or may not reach 50000, but you've already moved forward, hence, you can't be behind.

And yes, it's a lot better than nothing. :)

I really love that quote. Nice one!

Esopha

bam pow zap.
Registered
Reaction score
*raises hand*

Sooo behind. School work and querying are eating up every spare minute and I'm even waking up early to write. Ugh.

Help. I am drowning in paper.

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
Whoa, I wrote over 2,000 words today and it is all thanks to this thread. Thanks, thread.

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
Ahhhhhhhhh, it's been a lovely non-NaNo day here on the mountain. Guilt has been eating away at m...wait, is that peppermint bark I just made? mmmmm peppermint.

Okay people, lkp has seen fit to shake her bad thang at us with 2k today. GET HER! Wait. As a mod, I can't officially hand out pitchforks and those smoky stick things they waved around in Frankenstein (though that would be fun too) so we'll just have to beat her at her own game. Do I hear 2001 words today?

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
Oh spank snap hell no! Buggers. I need an eleven-year-old to tell me what a hip comeback is - I'm too damn old.

Well that didn't take long, I didn't even get the smoky sticks out of storage yet.

Who's next? *wanders off to get more peppermint*

Elonna

I'm a dork
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elonna.com
About 9,000 behind here. I did finally break my dry spell and wrote 1248 words today so far. Might get another 500 or so. We may be behind in word count, but we are moving forward :D

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had 863 words today. Which is about 100 less than I wrote Mon-Fri all last week, so I count that as good.

I'm presently 9433 words shy right now.

GO ME!

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
Oh spank snap hell no! Buggers. I need an eleven-year-old to tell me what a hip comeback is - I'm too damn old.

Well that didn't take long, I didn't even get the smoky sticks out of storage yet.

Who's next? *wanders off to get more peppermint*

Well, I confess to some relief at that...

Kryianna

Registered
Reaction score
I wrote 7k in the past two days on a new novel.

And now I'm scrapping it and starting over. AGAIN.

Here's hoping this time I can get past the 7k mark...

Reaction score
2,959 words to do today and then I'll have caught up!

I...can...do...this...

Kryianna

Registered
Reaction score
SP, try that "Write or Die" link posted in the Procrastination thread. It was very helpful for me. I could pull off 500 words in ten minutes. Do that at six random times during the day, and you'll be fine.