Status
Not open for further replies.

tehuti88

Mackinac Island Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkspot.com
What are your realistic expectations from writing? Everyone dreams in general terms of fame, fortune and fandom, but what exactly do you hope your writing with provide for you and for those who read it?

I gave up any thoughts of publication and fame long, long ago. (Thoughts of money never even entered into it.)

By now I just want to connect to one or two people, make a few friends who are actually as interested in what I write as I am. And who don't bail out/disappear on me without a moment's notice.

I posted a journal entry the other day that was me talking about my characters and plot ideas for an upcoming story. Nobody ever replies to those entries because I bet nobody understands them or even knows what I'm talking about. I'm willing to bet nobody's even interested in reading such entries and, as soon as they read the first sentence, wanders off. I can't blame them, because I don't focus much on things I'm not interested in either--but isn't there just ONE person out there who's curious...?

What I want to gain from my writing is somebody who not only understands what I write in entries like that, but is as enthusiastic about it as I am--and COMMUNICATES with me about it. And sticks around for the long haul.

I've had people who are interested in me but not in my work...and I've had people who are interested in my work but not in me. Why can't there be somebody who's interested in both--and who sticks around for more than ten minutes? :(

By now, that's honestly all I hope to gain from my writing, so much so that I give it all away for free. But even it seems to be asking too much because I've been trying for almost nine years now...

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Once I stopped expecting anything, things started to happen. :D

Seriously, though. I don't have expectations, so much as I have wants. I want my books to sell well. I want to continue publishing new projects. I want to make a steady income from writing. I want to be doing this twenty/thirty/fifty years from now. I want these things, but I can't hang my hopes on the expectation of getting them, because I just don't know. I can't predict the future.

Julia

Registered
Reaction score
I think I would be fooling myself to think I'd be content getting published and selling 200 copies of my book to then disappear into oblivion.

Of course, I hope for some recognition, a larger readership, winning a prize, etc. And yes, the ultimate dream would be to live off at least partly from my writing or to at least be able to build a nest egg from it.

Cybernaught

Decker
Registered
Reaction score
Realistically, I know that I have the potential to benefit from learning and practice. I expect that someday I will be publishing regularly and even have a novel or two in print. I don't expect to ever become a famous or rich author, and it's not what I want. Sounds silly, but I've always dreamed of being an obscure author with a cult fanbase, instead of like, the next Stephen King.

I'm a long way off from publishing regularly, but I think I'll get there one day, with lots of hard work, persistance, and anti-depressants.

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
I'm a 'ho. For me, at least right now, it's all about the money. I need my writing to be a steady source of income along with my other two jobs.

I sure wouldn't mind some minor fame, and I'd it if my writing touched at least one person in the same way that my favorite books have touched me. But for now it's all about finances.

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
My writing goals are a moving target. I started over 15 years ago now.

First I just wanted to get one story published. That happened.

Then I wanted to get paid. That happened.

Then I wanted to sell to pro-markets. That happened.

Then I wanted to sell a novel or two in the small press. That happened.

Now I want to sell a novel to one of the big boys.

Realistically? I think I have a chance.

Lady Cat

Registered
Reaction score
Website
randomwriterlythoughts.blogspot.com
Have you ever read one of your favorite authors and when you finish the book you sit back and go, "Wow" and then wish the book could go on forever? I want to be that author.

That’s probably never going to happen, so realistically:

I would like to make enough money with my writing to not have to work outside the home.

I would rather sell a novel to a big name publisher than win the lottery. To me, that would be even better than winning the lottery (and probably just as likely).

At the very least I would like have two novels published (to prove the first wasn’t just a fluke) and I would send copies to every one of my family members and friends who look on my writing as just a foolish whimsy.

Susan Breen

Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to be one of those authors whose readers look forward to the publication of each new book. And I'd like each book to be better than the previous. And I'd like to finish my basement.

Palmfrond

cereal killer
Registered
Reaction score
I was always one of you who just wanted to write something good and hoped against hope that someday somebody would want to publish it. All of a sudden, somebody did. Now I *desperately* hope against hope that it will make back the advance, because I want my publisher to keep buying my books. It's always something, isn't it?

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
I've got one book published, and another to be released next month. I now write a regular column for a magazine and teach workshops related to my published work. Realistically, I'd like to have a new book published every two years, and have my writing income be 100% of my income (right now it's about 50%). I want to be able to retire from my part time day job and continue to live off my writing income.

And, I want people to find my books useful (so far they have). I hate getting bad reviews, but I know I can't please everybody, so as long as the press is mostly good I'll be satisfied.

Status
Not open for further replies.