Emanuel Church has a donate button on their website, if you'd like to help.

See also the Mother Emanuel Hope Fund

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Is it okay to use a title that someone else has already used?

Is it okay to use a title that someone else has already used?

I'm preparing to pitch a column to some magazines. I put 3 sample pieces together and also a heading, for them, which fits the bill pretty well. I did an internet search on this heading/title and only one hit came up for an essay with the same title published in 2004 on somebody's website. Do I have to be concerned about this?

Draconia, Orion's Arm, Alpha Quadrant, Milky Way G
    I've seen two different books with the title "The White Dragon". And, there are many movies that have identical titles.

So, I don't think it's a problem. As long as the content is different.
    Current Projects:
    Final Frontier (7500 words; 3 chapters complete)

Now Available:

Big Meanie Head "A" Is For "Agent"'s Avatar
    It's not a problem unless say, you were to call your new memoir, Angela's Ashes.
    Or if you were to write a tragic romance novel and call it Titanic. You feel me?

the philosophical pegasus Shadow Dragon's Avatar
    Like others have said, it's been done before. However you should avoid it if you can. And like A for Agent said, definetely avoid using famous titles.
    "There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance." - Socrates

...cool. Thanks everyone. The essay was on politics and my column is about sports so sounds like I'm safe. Makes sense with the examples you sited A Is For Agent. If I titled a memoir Angela's Ashes readers might confuse mine for it and enable me to profit through association, which definitely wouldn't be right.

Hot bug on doll action! Use Her Name's Avatar
    Titles are not copyrighted. I find it better to use titles that have not been used on prize winning or popular novels. I was writing a novel once that I called "Angle of Repose" only to find out that a novel of the same name had been published by Wallace Stegner. It was a massive book and the novel he loved the best out of his own work. I could not possibly use the title even though I legally could. Angle of Repose is a geologic/physics term and anyone could use it-- Stegner did the best job with it. Nor would I use "Life on the Mississippi," though I legally can. Like great sports hero's numbers, I think it is a common author's tribute to retire a title when someone has really nailed it.

sounds like a good policy, Use Her Name.
    Thanks for the very useful info.

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX mdin's Avatar
    Does that mean I shouldn't name my book Harry Potter and the Raiders of the Lost Ark?

My Art

well let me put it like this, names and titles are so uncopyrighted that i could start writing a book called "Gone with the Wind" and use the pen name Margret Michell, and as long as it isn't a novel about a love story in old south, i would be fine.

but for now, im off to the tech section, something is very wrong with my browser...
    Hey, I'm back after, like, months! Almost a year even!

If there are horrible typos, see the following.

Sent from my IPhone. ... Stupid autocorrect.