Paul Update Thread

SherryTex

Working on 2nd WIP
Registered
Reaction score
Wash DC area, surrounded by overachievers
Website
www.sherryantonettiwrites.blogspot.com
I'm getting a few PM's and so I started this so I can share news with the AW family which has been awesome helping me through this ordeal.

Currently, we are in a hospice counting down the days to surgery. I wasn't happy about moving from the hospital but insurance wasn't happy we'd been in the hospital since October 30th. He's only a mile away from the actual hospital and if all he needs is to be monitored and fed, it's okay.

But I will say, he's had a lot of "episodes" since we got here. His heart rate is up. His respiration is up. His blood oxygen levels dropped to 80 once and he turned grey. (That has never happened and I hope it never happens again). I've had a melt down at the staff. They wisely took Paul and rocked him and suggested I sleep. I was and I'll admit it, a crazy person.

The surgeon we have is awesome so I'm not so worried about the outcome, I just sort of wish it were over and really wish I didn't know as much as I know about how they are going to fix his heart. Surgery set for November 20th.

Normal life will return some time around December 5th or so. Look for Christmas cards around Ground Hog day.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:( So sorry about the bad episode he had, but the hospice staff sounds wonderful and I'm glad you have them for support. Fingers crossed that the rest of his time there is incident free and surgery is a sucess :Hug2:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Chocolate, then hugs. I remember well my friend Betty's wisdom: in times of medical crisis, you get to eat anything you want, so long as you don't make yourself sick, for however long that crisis lasts.

Oh, and the timing is perfect for the Maryn Friday Breakfast, which is pancakes in the shape of your inintials, and one larger one with a smiley-face, plus apple juice and coffee or tea. Eat up!

Maryn, who doesn't eat breakfast in the real world

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
I'll add to the (((((((((((hug pile)))))))))))), and offer some tiramisu. So sorry you're going through this, Sherry.

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
My heart goes out to you.
REALLY HUGE HUG to you and your family.
Dec. 5 will be here before you know it.

SherryTex

Working on 2nd WIP
Registered
Reaction score
Wash DC area, surrounded by overachievers
Website
www.sherryantonettiwrites.blogspot.com
Paul Update:

They gave him more lasix, they took an x-ray to compare his lungs from Tuesday to today, and I spoke personally with the Cardiologist. He ordered blood work and has directed the Cardiologist on call to call him after this afternoon's examination. In the meantime, he has started to run a slight fever (100 rectal), and they have started antibiotics as a precaution. They have ruled out Pnuemonia. The lab results so far have been good.

The Pediatrician here is excellent and she's told me if she feels in any way uncomfortable with Paul's numbers, she'll preemptively send him back to Children's.

As a side note, his blood numbers comparitively from the last time (tuesday) are better with respect to sodium, so he is tolerating the high calorie concentrate formula well.

He weighed in at HSC as 8lbs. 3.6 oz but I've learned, each scale is slightly different, but they do surmise he's gained a bit from the other day. They do worry he's working so hard, he'll burn that off. So they're giving him tylenol and hoping the ease in the fever eases his heart rate. So far, I'd say I've seen a modest improvement, from the 160-up to having a low range of the 150's. Respiratory is still high.

Thanks everyone!

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the update on Paul. We'll keep praying for you and the little guy.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Keeping y'all in our thoughts and prayers here, too. :Hug2: Take care of yourself, too, Sherry.

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
Oh Sherry. I'm sorry he has a fever, but I'm glad he's going back to the hospital so he can get the help he needs. Big hugs to you. And I agree with Maryn, eat whatever you want. When we were waiting for Jenna's diagnosis, I ate a whole Jello No-Bake Cheesecake by myself. Then, after I got the diagnosis, I went and bought three of them to have when I was feeling really sad. Food is always a comfort to me, guess that's why I'm overweight.