Would This Really Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

October

Fueled by Ramen
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so I was talking to my writer buddy. He said that if I practiced writing well all the time, I'd improve a lot faster. So, I'd be writing better on forums and emails and using my vocabulary and trying to use imagery. I would stop being so careless. Do you think that would help?

If I started doing that, would people here think I was a snob?

Last edited:

geardrops

Good thing I like my day job
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geardrops.net
Yes it helps.

Nobody here will think you're a snob for using correct spelling and grammar. In fact, if you avoid correct spelling and grammar, I'd likely write you off as an idiot and discount your opinions.

You're only a snob if you start acting like a snob :)

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com

If they did, should that make a difference?

If you got published and earned a big advance, people might feel jealous of you. Should that discourage you from getting published and earning that big advance?

Don't worry about what people think of you. Do what's going to further your dreams.

And yeah, all of what Dempsey said.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Okay, so I was talking to my writer buddy and he said that if I practiced writing good all the time, I'd improve a lot faster. So, like, I'd be writing better on forums and emails and using my vocabulary and trying to use imagery. I would stop being so careless. Do you think that would help?

Well. It's "writing WELL."

And no, nobody will think you're a snob, because most of us are language snobs to begin with. As evidenced above.

Mr. Chuckletrousers

Sith happens.
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so I was talking to my writer buddy and he said that if I practiced writing good all the time, I'd improve a lot faster. So, like, I'd be writing better on forums and emails and using my vocabulary and trying to use imagery. I would stop being so careless. Do you think that would help?

Speaking of snobbery, the "writing" in the bolded part of your above quote is a verbal, specifically a gerund. Gerunds, as the half-breed children of nouns and verbs, can be modified by either adjectives or adverbs, but only adverbs come after the gerund -- adjectives have to come before them. "Good" is an adjective, and so should come before the word "writing" (i.e. "if I practiced good writing all the time"). If you want to use a modifier after the gerund then you should use an adverb like "well" or "correctly" or "precisely" or whatever.[/Ironic Grammar Nazi Rant]

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
One of the reasons I like this forum so much is because so many of our members actually bother to use correct grammar and punctuation.

After hanging out here, other internet forums make my eyes hurt from the grammar pain.

Using correct grammar and mechanics doesn't make anyone a snob. Not doing so, on the other hand, can quickly mark one as an idiot.

As for whether it will held your writing? Maybe not help it, but it will definitely not hinder you; and continuing to be sloppy probably will hinder you. So in that sense, yes, it will help.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I just ignore posts which themselves ignore the proper use of English and don't care if that makes me a snob.

As I'm great, you really don't want to piss me off. I have a lot of clout round these parts.

gypsyscarlett

Ma fin est mon commencement
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's sad that someone is worried they'll appear snobby for using proper grammar.

To the OP: Yes. Your friend is correct. It can only help ya. :)

beautiation

Registered
Reaction score
Noone will think you're a snob! You're a snob only if you think yourself better than other people. Snobbery is judged by action and opinion, not how you choose to express yourself. Just because most snobs through history have used high language does not mean that that form of language itself is tainted in any way.

People will think you're interesting if you use thoughtful language and imagery, as there's nobody more gratifying than the person making an effort to be engaging and interesting when they're talking to you. There's so many people who talk exclusively in dressed down, dull language these days that it can be positively thrilling to meet someone who dives deep into the glory of the language.

And it will help your work. Most of the greats may have only been authors while at the manuscript, but they were artists all their lives, in all their correspondence and the artistic flourishes they put into everyday interaction. It helped them. If you actively dumb yourself down while away from the writing you are essentially entering a double life which can only lead to confusion and your work suffering. Many old writers have reams of fascinating correspondence that dwarf their oeuvre (somnetimes the letters are comparable to their best works, which is why collected letter collections are still so popular today), and was the source of many of their ideas.

It's surprisingly easy to improve your language. You don't have to bury yourself in a thesaurus to get good vocab skills. You can expand your vocabulary simply by forcing yourself to slow down and look for proper ways of saying things instead of just rattling your messages off. Not to come across Luddite, but I think the move towards using speed and shortcuts in our communications is quite damaging for culture. Read any personal handwritten letters which survive from the 18th/19th century, and it's amazing what an articulate and expressive style even the ordinary people possessed, not because they were cleverer than us but because their slow mode of communication meant they considered their words far more than us. Most of us have a way with words which we don't even know exists because it's never strictly necessary for it to be used. Indeed, the perception that using big words is somehow pretentious actively scares some people away from finding it, which is sad.
Most of the big words which we all know but are rarely used are not synonyms that every day language make obsolete by parsimony, (which I think is a popular misconception), they're vital to proper expression and every person who doesn't have them is missing out.

Also, it can be very useful to flex your linguistic muscles simply because single words themselves can be inspirational through their richness and evocation. Every single word you know is associated in your head with something different, maybe a memory of where you heard the word or a person the word evokes or even another word the word rhymes with, there are millions of possibilities and any can be a source of inspiration! Using your vocab thoroughly is great for helping original thought. The more words you have on your side, the more places your imagination can go. Every little one you win over is like a new recruit for your army, with their own special skills you can use. (Ooh, I did an imagery! ;))

Think I may have gone off on one of my own rants there and ignored your question a bit, sorry! Good luck with it anyway :)

Last edited:

October

Fueled by Ramen
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, everyone!

Well. It's "writing WELL."

And no, nobody will think you're a snob, because most of us are language snobs to begin with. As evidenced above.

Oops, I totally missed that. Thanks for pointing it out. If people don't point out those mistakes, I'll never improve!

Mr.ChuckleTrousers said:
Speaking of snobbery, the "writing" in the bolded part of your above quote is a verbal, specifically a gerund. Gerunds, as the half-breed children of nouns and verbs, can be modified by either adjectives or adverbs, but only adverbs come after the gerund -- adjectives have to come before them. "Good" is an adjective, and so should come before the word "writing" (i.e. "if I practiced good writing all the time"). If you want to use a modifier after the gerund then you should use an adverb like "well" or "correctly" or "precisely" or whatever.[/Ironic Grammar Nazi Rant]

Please excuse me while I scrape the remains of my exploded brain off the wall.

I understood maybe half of that, but now that you've pointed it out, I know how to correct the mistake just by instinct. I always do that when I'm not paying enough attention.

Kuwisdelu said:
As for whether it will held your writing? Maybe not help it, but it will definitely not hinder you; and continuing to be sloppy probably will hinder you. So in that sense, yes, it will help.

Good enough for me.

beautiation said:
Noone will think you're a snob! You're a snob only if you think yourself better than other people. Snobbery is judged by action and opinion, not how you choose to express yourself. Just because most snobs through history have used high language does not mean that that form of language itself is tainted in any way.

I figured that, it's just I recently had a big fall because of my ego and was afraid that maybe trying to writing well a lot would make me look kind of like a snob. I guess I'm just cautious now. I lost several friends because of my behavior.

Mr. Chuckletrousers

Sith happens.
Registered
Reaction score
I figured that, it's just I recently had a big fall because of my ego and was afraid that maybe trying to writing well a lot would make me look kind of like a snob. I guess I'm just cautious now. I lost several friends because of my behavior.
I'm sorry to hear that. I think you are safe here to be as articulate and grammatically correct as you want.

Oh, and it's "trying to write well"...
:D

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
When I see incorrect spelling, especially in a topic title, it's a bit like hearing a knife scrape across a plate and I wince. I don't open that thread because, like most snobs, I judge the writer an idiot.

Basic tools for writers include grammar, spelling and vocabulary. The ability to proofread comes high on the list.

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
I agree with the others. This is a writers' forum, so it's hard to take someone seriously if they make glaring errors in their posts. I know I've made my fair share when I am typing quickly and not paying attention, but I mean the really, really glaring ones that jump out like a dagger through the eye. I personally would support a petition to put people in stocks and pelt them with tomatoes when they misues its/it's (and I say that as someone who has done it inadvertently...albeit rarely...myself). Writing correctly and coherently will give you practice and you'll also earn respect.

tehuti88

Mackinac Island Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkspot.com
Well, as long as it doesn't turn into an issue of having to write PERFECTLY ALL THE TIME, so much so that you start to freak out lest you get something wrong, I think yes, it helps.

I make a point to write almost everything the best I can the first time around. Even on forums, I try not to be lax. I might use casual language but I work hard at my spelling and most of my grammar. (I admit I use comma splices now and then, but that's only because that's how I tend to talk. At least I know that they're there!) I detest poor spelling and grammar used just because the writer is lazy and "This is a forum post/e-mail/whatever, writing well doesn't count."

(I should clarify that I don't mind the occasional slips and typos and errors in casual writing like e-mails--we're not all perfect :D --I just can't stand it when people put NO effort whatsoever into clear communication. Like Netspeak...ugh. Going out of your way to be unintelligible.)

The more you write properly, the more easily it will come, until you hardly have to even think about it. Practice practice.

(As long as, like I said, you don't get so hung up on whether you spelled everything right that you get too scared to send a casual e-mail or something.)

And, oh. I would never once think anyone is a snob for trying to write well. But I might not be the best person to ask.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I always do that when I'm not paying enough attention.
I always pay attention to my forum posts. I generally 'preview post' and may go through two or three drafts before I publish my post.

Yes, I consider what I post here as publication. You never know who's reading your posts, so it only makes sense to make sure you're publishing your best work. Many of the people you meet here may never read anything of yours that gets printed, so what they know of you as an author is what they read in these forums.

On a related note, google is only a click away. Anytime I'm the least bit unsure of factual information I'm about to post, I do my research, just as if I were getting ready to submit to a publisher.

This being a forum in general, I want my reputation to be that of an honest, thoughtful, and intelligent human being. This being a writer's forum, I want my fellow writers to see my best work. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.