It's The End Of The World As We Know It. Do You Feel Fine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
I have to admit, I buy almost all of my books online. I like to read reviews before making a purchase unless the author is someone from AW or Backspace - then I just buy it. I'm busy and I don't like the hassle of fighting traffic and trying to find a parking space just so I can go inside a bookstore. I suspect online purchasing plays a big part in the problems experienced by brick & mortar bookstores.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love going to bookstores. I feel very inspired to keep writing when I look at all those books. (I also get to see what the competition looks like.)

Yeah, I say we all do our part by buying new books. Isn't it similar to the movie industry? If people go out and see the new films that helps the film industry. Even though ticket prices have gone up, people still go see the new movies that come out.

RG570

Registered
Reaction score
Closing chains doesn't mean anything. It just means that they became greedy and their revenue came from building stores and not selling books. It happens all the time and it catches up with everyone who tries it.

Books aren't expensive compared to other entertainments. I don't see a reason to panic.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've done my part to keep the industry afloat. I spend an absurd amount of money on books.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I can't afford to buy new books, so I frequent the second-hand bookshops, Goodwill, Salvation Army and the like for my reading materials. Yard sales are good hunting grounds, as are estate sales.

I've built a fine personal library this way. You'd be surprised at the number of almost new hardback books, read only once, that you can purchase for a couple of bucks.
You've been reading my blog, haven't you? :)

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
And, just to clarify, buy more NEW BOOKS. Because used books don't help authors or publishers stay in business.

I'm the first to admit, I love a bargain. But if we don't buy new books, with the understanding of how this business works, how can we expect nonwriters to understand how the business works and encourage them to support the writers they love?

I'm not saying you ONLY have to buy new books. There are times we ALL succumb to the draw of the remainders, the used books, the megabargain. (Gotta confess, I was in a discount store just last week, and I managed to pick up two new copies of some OLD romance novels, written by two authors I know and enjoy, for just .99 each. The authors didn't make anything from that sale, I'm sure. )

Just be aware, that's all. :)

Susan G.

Seconded. I can't afford to buy too many new books (and I have far too many unread ones, which is another story). However, as I've come to know quite a few published authors, I'll make a point of using the library if I don't buy a book - in the UK at least, the author will still get some money from the library loan via public lending rights.

That's not to say that I haven't bought used books - I have.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
I generally buy older books used and new ones in trade paper or paperback. Only for certain authors will I splurge on hardcover.

josephwise

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know. It doesn't seem like the burden should be placed on the consumer.

If Borders goes under, that's not the consumer's fault. That's Borders' fault.

And we, as writers, shouldn't be focused on supporting the industry with our money. We should be focused instead on producing excellent books. Books that other readers can't live without. Books that other readers can't wait to read, and the only way to get them is to buy them new, because the demand is so high. There are no copies left at the library. The waiting period is four or five weeks. The used book stores don't have any yet. But the reader MUST read it NOW.

If you can generate that kind of enthusiasm, you'll be doing more for the industry than if you spent every cent of your disposable income on new books. And you CAN generate that kind of enthusiasm. You, the author. The burden is yours.

MissLadyRae

I vaahnt to suck your blaahd
Registered
Reaction score
Excuse me if this is a stupid question but - what is an 'espresso book machine'?

Oh! It's a new sort of printing press that prints and bounds a book in 15 minutes (or sometimes 5-7 minutes).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Espresso_Book_Machine
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=JMFh5axDKWU

Prices go for about $30k for the machine from what I hear, for businesses looking to invest in one. The main market is libraries but they're slowly moving to specialty bookstores. The NY library first got it, then the University of Michigan. I heard that at Dragon Con (or GenCon, one of them) there was one POD company with one in their booth where you could test it out and get a book in about 15 minutes or less. Now it looks like Melbourne has it (selling books for 20 AU). Books here are being sold for like 6-12 bucks.

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
I'm biased towards Borders, as I worked in one for over 5 years. Best McJob ever: shelve and clean stock (I worked in DVD/video) and chat and work the register. We did OK business in music and DVDs but the pinch from online competition was palpable. Hard to sell people something they can get for half price, if not for free, right at home.

Our store had the Cafe and a relaxed attitude towards browsing to bring warm bodies bearing cash downtown and into our store. Also, you could also pick up your online purchases at our store and save on shipping. It was the best of both worlds. The model was solid but people look at the Borders/Barnes and Noble stores as a luxury item, and that is what goes first when you can't get ahead financially. Of course, I guess toys like iPods and Nintendos don't count as luxury items for the average Joe anymore.
I hang out at these stores still (not the one I used to work at, because I need that quiet time) and it is indeed quiet in the downtowns around CT. And tense. But I would hate to think of these stores getting gutted for another electronics store. That really would be the end of my world.

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
Nathan's solution: Buy more books!

And when possible, from an independent bookstore. Keep the little guy going. I like B and N, but I'd much rather buy from a place like City Lights in San Francisco, or the Tattered Cover in Denver.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
borders is probably my favorite hangout place ever. BN is better for studying (it's quieter), but borders has a better graphic novel collection, so that's where i go when i want to chillax.

i'll be very sad if it goes under.

although....i'm not too surprised since i barely ever buy any books from them.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
And when possible, from an independent bookstore. Keep the little guy going. I like B and N, but I'd much rather buy from a place like City Lights in San Francisco, or the Tattered Cover in Denver.
Too many independents, both new and used, died as the big chains were growing. I especially miss two in Atlanta, "Oxford Too"[sic] was the largest (thus the best) used bookstore around until it closed circa 1997, and later the original Oxford Book Store (new books) closed - it was unique in many ways, one being that it was open Christmas day.

Nakhlasmoke

yes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cathellisen.com
I buy my books online. I'm nowhere near a new bookstore, and I have no transport.

Online shopping means I get to read reviews, browse without getting tired, and have my book delivered to my door. It's a win win for me.

jessicaorr

Book fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not shocked. Even when things were good the Borders was always dead compared to the B&N down the street. It is worrisome though. Even I've cut my book budget in half. I just can't afford to spend as much as I used to, and when I do buy it's through Amazon or eBay. Not good for the industry, I'm sure.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I buy almost all of my books online (it's hard trying to drag four kids through a bookstore without it becoming a debacle, and time to myself? Bwhahahahaha!), and the VAST majority of them are new, even the reference books.

That said, hubby and I agreed to spend only $60 on each other for Christmas this year. I have a list of twelve books I want to buy. Guess how many of those I'm going to buy new? One. Octavia Butler's Kindred. The rest (four are reference books, btw) will be bought secondhand.

I'm all for paying for new books wherever possible, but it's not the usual for me to have $60 to spend on books. I'm going to buy as many as I can. *shrug* I figure that I buy enough new books the rest of the time that I don't need to feel guilty about it.

tehuti88

Mackinac Island Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkspot.com
I have to admit, I buy almost all of my books online. I like to read reviews before making a purchase unless the author is someone from AW or Backspace - then I just buy it. I'm busy and I don't like the hassle of fighting traffic and trying to find a parking space just so I can go inside a bookstore. I suspect online purchasing plays a big part in the problems experienced by brick & mortar bookstores.

I wasn't even thinking about the difficulty my mainly purchasing online could cause brick & mortar stores like Borders, though I guess it makes sense. The problem is, "real" bookstores usually just don't have the books I'm looking for. I can't count all the times I've entered a bookstore looking for something specific and they didn't have it, usually because it's either an older title and out of print, or it's such an obscure subject that of course they wouldn't have the space or customer demand to warrant carrying it. And why go through the hassle of ordering it through them, waiting for it to arrive, and going back to the store to pick it up when I can just do it all online?

Hence why I've turned to eBay (for the out-of-print books) and Amazon (for the newer books that the bookstores won't pick up). We have our own bookstore in town, an independent, but I have little need to go there anymore. It's nice to set foot in a bookstore, but most of the things I end up buying are "impulse buys" because I just happened to be lucky enough to see something interesting sitting on the shelf. Nowadays it's rare to find something that I'm specifically LOOKING for. (And when I do find something I'm looking for, it's usually in a smaller bookstore which has the capacity to carry more obscure topics--I'm interested in local history, for example, and it's hard to find that in bigger stores that have to serve a bigger audience.)

There was a new book Amazon recommended to me a while back, and it was over a year before I managed to locate it in a bookstore! Nowadays I would just order it online and save the trouble of looking in stores that probably won't have it.

I entered a new bookstore I've never visited a couple of weeks ago, looked around, and left without buying anything--VERY unusual for me. But there just wasn't anything in there I was interested in. I found this rather saddening but it's becoming more frequent.

And that's the unfortunate reason why I don't shop bookstores much anymore. (That, and the fact that we are nowhere near a Borders or Barnes & Noble or anything. Oh. And that I can't drive. :eek: )

NicoleMD

Onomatopotamus
Registered
Reaction score

My office just moved locations and now we're within walking distance of my favorite indy bookseller, BookPeople. My coworker and I walk there once every week or so just to "browse" but we always end up buying something. Can't get too much, since we have to carry our purchases back almost a mile, so that's good. (for the wallet, at least.) :)

And since all of my friends are popping out babies these days, I always get them children's books as presents instead of clothes they'll grow out of in three minutes.

Nicole

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
The pros and cons of buying online are all fine and dandy, but the OP was made, not from the perspective of a reader, but of a writer.

We, as writers, produce a product. We approach publishers in the hopes that they’ll mass produce that product, thereby satisfying our creative and material needs while satisfying the needs of our customers – the readers. In effect, become published.

In order for publishers to buy a product, they need a market. The larger the market, the better an environment for whatever you’re trying to sell. Large chain bookstores have replaced regular bookstores worldwide and now dominate the book market.

They are now folding. As a result, publishers, the people who buy your manuscript and publish it for the general public, have been losing large amounts of money and have been laying off personnel.

That’s less money for the printing of books, less money for promotion, less money to invest in new talent, less people sifting through the piles for new talent worthy to be published, less incentive to take on new writers.

A publisher can only publish a certain amount of books a year, which is part of the problem as far as getting accepted for publication. If they’re going to be publishing even less, than what does that bode for us writers seeking to be published?

With less personnel reading new manuscripts and guiding a book through the process from acceptance to on-the-shelf- publication, what will that do to the acceptance rate and wait times?

With less outlets for published books, and that’s new published books – the ones that make authors and publishers money, what does the future look like for aspiring authors seeking to be published?

The intent of the OP was to tell the aspiring writers here that if you thought it was hard to get published before, guess what? It’s about to become even harder.

You’re going to have to really hone your skills and polish your prose and finesse your story. You’re going to have to make your story even more unique and intriguing. You’re going to have to make your writing really stand out and shine. You’re going to have to be even more patient and willing to slog through hours and hours of personal hell with no thought of gain or reward.

In this current climate, which is not conducive to profit for writers or publishers, you cannot rely on your writing eventually becoming a career or money maker (though I know the majority of us here don’t, still we all dream.)

So, my question:

Does this daunt you? Cause doubt? Make you want to throw it all up in the air?

Or does it fire you up? Cause you to try harder, be better, seek out that story that people can’t help but be curious about once they hear the first sentence?

Or do you not care? Are you unaffected by any of it? It doesn’t bother you at all or cause you to change anything in the way you approach writing and, I assume, publication?

What are your thoughts as a writer?

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
It's like with cars. Hummers and SUV dealers may feel the pinch more and go under. People still need cars.

Ah, but are Hummer and other SUV dealers going under? From my understanding, it's the big 3 that are having problems.

As long as Barnes & Noble stays open, I won't die if Borders shuts down. I'm more of a BN fan anyway

Me too.

Maybe everybody on AW should buy books to give as Christmas presents.

Then all of us will be helping the publishing industry. Yes?

I think all my presents are going to be books this year! Books and cookies! Great idea!

Me too.

The intent of the OP was to tell the aspiring writers here that if you thought it was hard to get published before, guess what? It’s about to become even harder.

You’re going to have to really hone your skills and polish your prose and finesse your story. You’re going to have to make your story even more unique and intriguing. You’re going to have to make your writing really stand out and shine. You’re going to have to be even more patient and willing to slog through hours and hours of personal hell with no thought of gain or reward.

In this current climate, which is not conducive to profit for writers or publishers, you cannot rely on your writing eventually becoming a career or money maker (though I know the majority of us here don’t, still we all dream.)

So, my question:

Does this daunt you? Cause doubt? Make you want to throw it all up in the air?

Or does it fire you up? Cause you to try harder, be better, seek out that story that people can’t help but be curious about once they hear the first sentence?

Or do you not care? Are you unaffected by any of it? It doesn’t bother you at all or cause you to change anything in the way you approach writing and, I assume, publication?

What are your thoughts as a writer?

My thoughts as a writer...well, it does make me sad. You're right - though I don't write with the intent of ever really being able to quit my day job, I do dream about staying home and writing fulltime. It makes me sad that something like books are suffering from the economy. I know that everything and everyone is affected, but books?

And it's a little scary, but I don't think I can work any harder. What I mean is, I am always putting all I can into my writing. I write, I learn, I write better, and I keep going. I query, and query, and query, then I query again and write some more. Everytime I write, I write my best at that moment. Then I learn more, practice more and write better. That's what I do now, that's what I've always done, and whether or not things get harder, that's what I will continue to do. So really, this has no effect on me.

I love to write. I can't NOT write. However, my life's happiness isn't based on publication. Though that is my career dream or goal, it does not consume all parts of my life. So I tredge on, say a little prayer and cross my fingers and hope that next time I query is the one that snags an agent.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I expect that the ease and relative cheapness of distributing intellectual properties via the Internet will eventually make the Internet the dominant market for books, music, films, etc. The process is already well underway. This is a good thing, as the Internet can reach niche markets with ease and take on far more writers than "paper and ink" publishers can. Will save trees and energy, too. The economic crash should speed this process.

I also expect that paper books will become more of a luxury, but that they'll survive for those of us who love them as objects.

I buy a book almost every time I go into a bookstore. Bought one from Borders yesterday, also routinely buy them from Books on the Square, a fine Providence independent. Amazon I use more for DVDs and used books, via Zon's network of independent bookstores. Got several books from Zon and friends on the way right now!

The Borders I go to is always packed, and there's usually a line at the cash registers. But this is a big college area, with lots of us intellectual elite around. ;)

willietheshakes

Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.
Registered
Reaction score
Before anyone goes huffing gas pipes or leaping from the balcony:

By the end of this weekend, more than two million Canadians will have watched the Scotiabank Giller Prize gala. Almost a half million watched it live last night. That's a prize ceremony FOR BOOKS. Not movies, not music. Books. Two million Canadians (almost one in ten, for the record).

Readers are there. Publishers are there. Writers are there.

Are times going to be tough? Yes. But times have been tough before, and will be again. Chains will close. Stores will close. Belts will be tightened. But the readers are there. Publishers are there. Writers are there.

"And for the price of a good meal in this town, you can buy all five of the books on the shortlist."

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
I buy a book almost every time I go into a bookstore. Bought one from Borders yesterday, also routinely buy them from Books on the Square, a fine Providence independent. Amazon I use more for DVDs and used books, via Zon's network of independent bookstores. Got several books from Zon and friends on the way right now!

The Borders I go to is always packed, and there's usually a line at the cash registers. But this is a big college area, with lots of us intellectual elite around. ;)

I went to my Borders this weekend, too. Long lines, parking lot packed. Inside, I discovered they'd been doing some rearranging. They removed the music section and added more books instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.