• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

David Rompf Literary Agency

pensinparadise

Registered
Reaction score
HELP! I have looked and looked and looked, and I cannot find a valid snail mail address or email address on this agent. I keep sending stuff to the different addresses I find on the web, but everything is returned or bounces. Does anyone know anything about this guy, is he legit, has he gone out of business, is he a figment of P & E's imagination, or what?
PiP

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Did you find a listing for him at this website? It's a textbook example of why you have to be careful of online agent listings. It lists a fair number of amateur and questionable agents.

Other than listings of this sort, there's no information online about David Rompf at all. A successful literary agent, or a new agent with industry experience, should be more researchable.

- Victoria

pensinparadise

Registered
Reaction score
Rompf

I did find him there, Victoria, but also on Preditors and Editors and several other places. However, he does not seem to have a web site of his own, and every mailing address and email address I have for him seems to be bad. No one seems to know anything about him. Thanks for the tip. I guess I'll take HIM off my spreadsheet.
Vivian

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
I did find him there, Victoria, but also on Preditors and Editors and several other places. However, he does not seem to have a web site of his own, and every mailing address and email address I have for him seems to be bad. No one seems to know anything about him. Thanks for the tip. I guess I'll take HIM off my spreadsheet.

Vivian

Is this one bad?

David Rompf Literary Agency
2887 College Avenue, Suite 1-137
Berkeley, CA 94705
[email protected]

"David Rompf has published essays and stories in Creative Nonfiction, Berkeley Fiction Review, Hawaii Review and in many newspapers and magazines. He teaches writing at Berkeley, where he also recieved his law degree."

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
This leads to this. I don't find any sign he's still agenting.

MidtownSkyHigh

Registered
Reaction score
Agency and General Advice

All - this agency closed in 2000. Unfortunately, some web sites continue to simply list outdated information about agents and other publishing resources. It's not the fault of the agent or publisher.

From personal experience, I've found out that some agents become editors at publishing houses or they become consultants, editors, or writers. The publishing world (especially in New York) is a very small world where everybody knows or knows about everyone else. So in general writers who aspire to publication should be advised against making frivolous comments about agents, editors, etc on the web ("amateur," "questionable," etc), because you never know who will be reading, commenting on, and making decisions on your manuscripts! Be smart!

Happy writing everyone!