The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Agency] Aitken Alexander Associates, Ltd.

[Agency] Aitken Alexander Associates, Ltd.

http://www.aitkenalexander.co.uk/home.php

Has anyone had any dealings with this agent? I couldn't find any older posts about them here.

Top notch. Just look at their author list!
    I have no experience with them myself, but I do "know" a client of Clare Alexander and she is very happy with her.
    OUT NOW!
    The Lost Daughter of India
    Amazon UK:

Amazon US:

Sons of Gods -- the Mahabharata

Website
    Facebook

Do you know what you are? You are a manuscript of a divine letter. You are a mirror reflecting a noble face. This universe is not outside of you. Look inside yourself; everything that you want, you are already that ...
    ~ Rumi

Thanks. I had a look at their list and felt like I'd been invited to a black tie party and turned up in my jeans.

Worth a go, though.

What? I have a title? Julie Worth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by seun View Post
    Thanks. I had a look at their list and felt like I'd been invited to a black tie party and turned up in my jeans.

Worth a go, though.

"Before submitting to us we advise you to look at our existing client list to establish whether your work will be of interest." Which is to say, if you're even reading this, forget it.

Very subtle - or not so subtle - snobbism.
    OUT NOW!
    Amazon UK:

Amazon US:

Website
    Facebook

Do you know what you are? You are a manuscript of a divine letter. You are a mirror reflecting a noble face. This universe is not outside of you. Look inside yourself; everything that you want, you are already that ...
    ~ Rumi

Banned
    Some call it snobbery, some call it quality control.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie Worth View Post
    "Before submitting to us we advise you to look at our existing client list to establish whether your work will be of interest." Which is to say, if you're even reading this, forget it.
    Quote Originally Posted by aruna View Post
    Very subtle - or not so subtle - snobbism.
    Huh? They're not asking for more than any other agent: Research what we sell, and consider whether your book is what we like.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

The trouble is that putting it into so many words can backfire. It calls for self-selection, and often it's the the starry-eyed rank beginners who see themselves among the eternal literary greats and Nobel prizewinners. We all know how bad writers are at judging their own writing!
    Truly selective agents looking for the creme de la creme don't even accept submissions from the general public; they figure that if you're THAT good, you already know people who know people in the business. They only take referrals, or they head-hunt authors. There are a couple of such agents. Andrew Wylie, for instance, of the Wylie Agency.. They never have any other submissions page but that.
    it's a very small business, there's not that tremendous interest available at any given time, so people are interested competitively in what you have, especially if you're only looking at quality. If you're playing a higher-risk game, being in the business of quality is a fairly low-risk game if you do it right. The high-risk game is the commercial end. It's high-risk for everybody, because if it doesn't work, there's a tremendous loss to be made—a loss of face, a loss of money. With work of quality, if you don't make your money back right away, you will over time anyway. So I think we're the soft and gentle side of the business. We're the affordable shop in the industry. What we're selling is going to earn out sooner or later, anyway.
    (my bold)
    Last edited by aruna; 11-11-2008 at 12:01 PM.
    OUT NOW!
    Amazon UK:

Amazon US:

Website
    Facebook

~ Rumi

Anna Stein

AgentQuery has a note that she joined this agency to start a New York office and that she is actively seeking clients. Their website doesn't list her, but it doesn't look very up to date either.

Does anyone have any experience or information on Ms. Stein?

"The point is not to take the world's opinion as a guiding star,
    but to go one's way in life and to work unfalteringly
    neither depressed by failure nor seduced by applause."
    -Gustav Mahler

FWIW, here's an interview from shortly before her move: http://www.pw.org/content/agents_and...iterary_agents

And she's already made at least one sale with the new agency.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

Site is "down for maintenance". Anne has recent deals on PM, so one can hope it's in fact just that.
    ICAO
    ---------

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Debut authors?

Back when I was finishing an MA in Creative Writing, I met Clare Alexander and to tell the truth I was quite impressed. Seemed like a person eager to promote a book and help the writer. Now that I have finished my novel I am contemplating sending her a query but will she be interested? This is my debut novel after all. Has anyone had any dealings with them?

ICAO
    ---------

Should be writing!
    QueryTracker indicates that Anna Stein changed her name to Anna Stein O'Sullivan and went on maternity leave this summer.

Does anyone know if she's back and accepting queries? The website doesn't even mention her name change.

Thanks in advance.

Submitted. Nervous!!
    Completed manuscripts:

IT'S HARD TO BE A SAINT IN THE CITY (Thriller/Supernatural)
    JIGSAW BOY (YA)
    NEVER FELT A WOUND (YA)
    HIT THE BRAKES (YA/Mystery)
    BLACK AND BLUE (Mainstream)
    THUNDER AND LIGHTNING (Mainstream)
    SWEET AND SOUND SHE SLEEPS (Literary)

Currently writing:

MEMENTO MORI (Literary)
    FATALLY FLAWED (Fantasy/Science fiction)

Planning to write in the future:

FREYA AND THE HEATHENS (YA)
    BLANK BOOK BOY (YA)

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Aitken Alexander Associates

Hi everyone.

I'm new, and this is my first time posting anything. I want to know if anyone has any experience submitting to the Aitken Alexander Associates agency, be it through a submission to the UK or the US office. It would also be nice to know which agents were submitted to, and in particular if anyone has had the audacity to submit to Gillon Aitken, the chairman of the company, who has been an agent to writers such as VS Naipaul and Salman Rushdie, and currently represents writers such as Germaine Greer, Edward St Aubyn, and Sebastian Faulks. I plan to submit to this agency.

Braving the query mountains Cel_Fleur's Avatar
    I haven't had any experience working with the agency, but would be interested in submitting to them, too. Obviously, they're a great agency, but would be nice to know some specifics.
    Silent by day; pretentious by night.

"What is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil." (Friedrich Nietzsche)

Currently...juggling the lives in my head.