The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bancroft Press

Bancroft Press

I came across this publisher on Lee Goldberg's blog, and searched the Bewares and Background Checks forum and found nothing. A search of all the forums found a recommendation from Victoria that it was okay, a small independent that didn't require an agent.

The comments made about this publisher are that Bancroft supplies, in addition to publishing, a paid editorial service, and that this was an ethical conflict of interest for a "traditional publisher". In addition, the CEO is apparently marketing himself as a book doctor, ghost writer, editor and a few other roles: http://www.book-editing.com/bancroftpress.htm

There are a few comments on Lee's blog (http://leegoldberg.typepad.com/a_wri...n_bancrof.html and http://leegoldberg.typepad.com/a_wri...ft_press_.html) as well as some emailed commentary from the CEO of Bancroft.

My question here is, has anyone had good or bad experiences with this Publisher?
    Be Wery Wery Qwiet, I'm Hunting Sockpuppets
    You must be as smart as this stick -> |
    to use the internet |

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Can you find any of their books on the shelves of a bookstore near you?

Err.. not likely, being in a different hemisphere and all... my question was more for informational purposes.
    Be Wery Wery Qwiet, I'm Hunting Sockpuppets
    You must be as smart as this stick -> |
    to use the internet |

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment astonwest's Avatar
    To answer Jim's question (via a quick glance through Border's online inventory service):

The top ten Bancroft titles listed (not sorted) all showed up as "Order", meaning not in stock at the store (for two stores here in town).
    Other interesting facts:
    One of the titles was also released (by Bancroft) under a different title by the same author (the titles were similar enough for me to notice).
    Some of the titles have been published in both hardcover and trade paperback all at or around the same time.
    At least one title appears to be coming out soon in regular mass market paperback.

Big Daddy West
    Make sure to visit AstonWest.com
    I'm also on Facebook and Twitter

Check out my newest novels, Death Brings Victory (the latest Aston West "in-the-series" novel) and The Cure.

Found this from that blog. Might help.

http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cache...ty+paper&hl=en

Outside the box, with the bunnehz KimJo's Avatar

Oh, dear...

I submitted a YA novel to them in February. Guess this is one time I should hope for a rejection.
    as Jo Ramsey:
    My YA site
    My YA library
    COMING SOON:
    Midnight Chat, Harmony Ink, February 2017
    Dolphins in the Mud, Harmony Ink, August 2017

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    I know an author who published two books with Bancroft and had an excellent experience.

- Victoria
    Last edited by victoriastrauss; 09-20-2006 at 10:06 PM.

Outside the box, with the bunnehz KimJo's Avatar
    Thanks, Victoria!
    as Jo Ramsey:
    My YA site
    My YA library
    COMING SOON:
    Midnight Chat, Harmony Ink, February 2017
    Dolphins in the Mud, Harmony Ink, August 2017

Preditors & Editors Requiescat In Pace DaveKuzminski's Avatar
    P&E simply hasn't received any commentary, good or bad, concerning Bancroft, so we have no opinion on them as yet.

Well, this has now changed. Looks like P&E will be investigating.
    Last edited by DaveKuzminski; 05-09-2005 at 07:43 AM.
    When it comes to PA, the royalty check and the reality check arrive in the same envelope.

Remember to be kind to writers who step in PA. They really don't know how bad it smells.

The difference between PA and WLA? None. Both have the stench of dead and dying books emanating from their doorways.

Bancroft Press

I hope this is the right place for this.

I am wondering if anyone here has had any experience (good or bad) with them. I sent them a young adult novel about 6 months ago.
    I mostly hang out in Office Party. Mostly.

It Bloggles the Mind

Cool

Well, they seem like a small legitimate press with a lot of recognition, endorsements and awards. I couldn't find any submission guidelines, since I thought that I would at least query them.

The owner of the press runs his own outside editing and critique service, which might be a conflict. Afterall, their staff can always recommend that you obtain a service, then go so far as to send you to the owner's firm.

Anybody know about their genre preferences and sub rules?

Tri

Cool

Ah, strike that--I found the sub guidelines in a small homepage box. No email subs allowed, it looks like.

Tri

Quote Originally Posted by triceretops
    Ah, strike that--I found the sub guidelines in a small homepage box. No email subs allowed, it looks like.

Tri
    Just to clarify, I found Bancroft Press listed in the 2006 edition of Children's Writer's & Illustrator's Market. I just wondered if anyone else had any dealings with them.

I know they want middle readers and young adults since that's what it said in the listing in the book.
    Last edited by rhymegirl; 09-22-2006 at 05:29 AM.
    I mostly hang out in Office Party. Mostly.

It Bloggles the Mind

Ahead of Your Time Chicken Warrior's Avatar
    Was this ever resolved? There's a response to it on the bancroft website under 'about us'

http://www.bancroftpress.com/

They're still accepting subs, but I really don't know what to think about the author acusations – except what reason would they have to make them if they were not true?

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Misunderstandings, delusions, and publicity stunts are all-too-frequent reasons for allegations against any business. Not to say any of these are behind this particular case.

Dave, did you find anything not addressed by Bancroft? I see you now list them as Not Recommended.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Preditors & Editors Requiescat In Pace DaveKuzminski's Avatar
    At the time, there was some unauthorized material on their site. It was removed, so P&E removed the negative recommendation.

figuring it all out Reluctant Artist's Avatar

Submit entire manuscript??

Bancroft Press invites fiction writers to submit their entire manuscript when making their initial query. I have to say I'm hesitant to do this, and not only because it's a lot of paper.

Has anyone else done this? In my experience, it's unusual.

<link snipped to avoid confusion>

There's already a thread on Bancroft. You might want to read it before you send anything anywhere.
    Last edited by CaoPaux; 05-04-2009 at 08:30 AM. Reason: threads merged, thanks :)

figuring it all out Reluctant Artist's Avatar

Old Bancroft Posts

The posts on Bancroft are so old, the links no longer work. That's why I started a new thread. And I also thought my question would pertain to ANY request for an entire manuscript, not just Bancroft. I'd like to know if ANYONE has ever dared send an entire manuscript as a query.

Here among the years-old Bancroft posts, no one is finding my question.

Ann Arbor, Michigan. Downtown. Near the University, and the first Borders
    The latest entry on their news page is from 2004, and their catalog is dated 2006.

I think sending the entire manuscript used to be more common in the days of typewriters. Many people had only one copy, and if you had a relationship with the publisher, you'd just send the whole thing rather than retyping the first 30 pages.

but appreciated anyway... Unimportant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reluctant Artist View Post
    And I also thought my question would pertain to ANY request for an entire manuscript, not just Bancroft. I'd like to know if ANYONE has ever dared send an entire manuscript as a query.
    For all publishers -- if the guidelines say "send entire ms" I send the whole thing. If they say "send the first 3 ch" I send the first three chapters. If they say "send a one page query letter" I send a one page query letter.

The posts on Bancroft are so old, the links no longer work. That's why I started a new thread. And I also thought my question would pertain to ANY request for an entire manuscript, not just Bancroft. I'd like to know if ANYONE has ever dared send an entire manuscript as a query.

Here among the years-old Bancroft posts, no one is finding my question.

If you send them more than they ask for (i.e. full manuscript other than 5 pages, 10 pages, 1st chapter, etc) they will dump it in the trash if snail mail or delete if email. Many/most websites for the agents will even tell you that. You risk alienation from the start if you don't follow the state guidelines.

Trust me, if they like you at all, they'll at least ask for a partial.....if not, it's not for them.

Best of luck.

figuring it all out

full MS for query

I also thought my question would pertain to ANY request for an entire manuscript, not just Bancroft. I'd like to know if ANYONE has ever dared send an entire manuscript as a query.
    Yes - Daw's sub guidelines are to send in the entire MS for initial query in paper form.

Making mistake after mistake, I walk the unmistaken path - The Khenpo

My rhymes are bottomless Hip-Hop-a-potamus's Avatar
    Not sure if anyone is still reading this thread, but I was researching these guys tonight, and came up with this:

http://www2.citypaper.com/news/story.asp?id=3561

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/featur...o-her-own-way/

Don't know if they've cleaned up their act as far as royalties, but the fact that someone doesn't know who Josephine Baker and Paul Robeson were, and isn't too concerned about learning bothers me. As a historical fiction writer, famous personages of the past are my bread and butter.
    The Forgotten Flapper. "A film buff's dream, wrapped in the decadence and glamour of a bygone era." - Kirkus Reviews

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast