How do you write a montage?

BloodMoney

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Theres a montage scene in my script and I was wondering, how do you write this in script format?

The scene will basically show a couple of soldiers walking around, camping, eating etc and I don't want to do a scene for each, so how is this kind of thing usually written up?

ManyAk

Registered
Reaction score
Theres a montage scene in my script and I was wondering, how do you write this in script format?

The scene will basically show a couple of soldiers walking around, camping, eating etc and I don't want to do a scene for each, so how is this kind of thing usually written up?

Most of the time, people will write a scene for each and leave the rest to the director and editor. I don't know why most writers think about that kind of things, because our job is to write a story, not organize how'll it'll appear on screen.

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
We've had some threads/responses about montages in the past. Hang on a sec...

Montage Formatting

Have a question about formatting...

Montages

I see format, people

You might find your answers in some of those but the basic way to do it is to just spell it out.

INT. GYM - DAY

Rocky enters the gym as we begin a montage of moments over the course of the day.

Rocky skips rope.

Rocky does push-ups.

Rocky punches the bag.

OK, so it's not exactly thrilling but you can jazz it up. There really are no "rules" per se, just make sure what you're describing is clear.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
My last script had several 'montage' bits.

After discussion here at AW, I changed them up a bit.

I used a couple different styles of 'montage', and used the 'series of shots' bit as well. I thought the varying methods made it a better read by far.

Of course, no one else seems to think that. The Script remains unsold.

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point.
First, what is the purpose of your montage? From your description - it doesn't HAVE a purpose. Except perhaps to illustrate the passage of some time? Not necessary.

A montage serves a particular purpose. It illustrates a process or evolution, and serves to set a mood or establish a theme.

Each shot or sequence should support one of those. If not, don't put it in.

BloodMoney

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Most of the time, people will write a scene for each and leave the rest to the director and editor. I don't know why most writers think about that kind of things, because our job is to write a story, not organize how'll it'll appear on screen.

I am the director, cameraman and probably editor, so I'm writing this script for myself.

We've had some threads/responses about montages in the past. Hang on a sec...

Montage Formatting

Have a question about formatting...

Montages

I see format, people

You might find your answers in some of those but the basic way to do it is to just spell it out.

INT. GYM - DAY

Rocky enters the gym as we begin a montage of moments over the course of the day.

Rocky skips rope.

Rocky does push-ups.

Rocky punches the bag.

OK, so it's not exactly thrilling but you can jazz it up. There really are no "rules" per se, just make sure what you're describing is clear.

Nice, thanks for the links, and good example. Thats the format I was intuitively going to do, just list each thing that we see the characters doing. Simple and clear, I like it.

First, what is the purpose of your montage? From your description - it doesn't HAVE a purpose. Except perhaps to illustrate the passage of some time? Not necessary.

A montage serves a particular purpose. It illustrates a process or evolution, and serves to set a mood or establish a theme.

Each shot or sequence should support one of those. If not, don't put it in.

The montage will be setting mood. There will be no musical score and there will only be the two characters in 90% of the shots. This is to illustrate isolation and instill a feeling of complacency or even boredom, it will be a "peaceful" scene, despite the main characters being soldiers, they will not be engaging in any shooting or action. It will also illustrate a passing of time, as they journey towards their objective.

I understand what you mean when you say each shot must be in support of a goal, and as a general rule thats probably not a bad idea, however I disagree that every shot must mean something or say something, sometimes its okay to put something in just because you feel like it or like the shot, not everything has to have a purpose.

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point.
If it doesn't advance the plot, illustrate character or illuminate theme - cut it.

You HAVE to be willing to 'kill your babies'. Just because you spent so much time lighting and setting up the shot, and laying the dolly tracks and renting the crane, and working on the FX... if it doesn't advance the plot, illustrate character or illuminate theme.

Kill it.

Better to do it on the page, then spend the time and money on getting the shot, and find it has to be done in the cutting room.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Better to do it on the page, then spend the time and money on getting the shot, and find it has to be done in the cutting room.

That's an absolute truth for screenwriting. If you don't do the cutting, someone else will.

If the end product is any good, that is.

ricetalks

Registered
Reaction score
Distinguish between a montage and a series of shots.

The slaughtering of the calf in 'Apocalypse Now' is a montage. It is shots that are cut together and work together as a whole, one flowing into the other to create or transform a process or event.

But a 'Series of Shots' is a selection of shots that stand alone and yet relate together to make a process but don't neccessarily flow into one and other.

A person walking a series of empty and desolate streets while looking for someone would be a good example of a SERIES OF SHOTS. In that case, you would write a header, SERIES OF SHOTS: and then list the shots below. In the case of a montage, you would write it with the header as MONTAGE and then write the montage and shots in a descriptive pharagraph form showing the feel and flow of the montage.

SERIES OF SHOTS and MONTAGE are not really interchangable.

Last edited:

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
SERIES OF SHOTS and MONTAGE are not really interchangable.

People are free to use them in the fashion which they like. Both are just tools in the toolbox.

For my work, both styles worked nicely to move the tale quickly at that point.

I used 'montage' for stuff that took place over years or decades, and 'series of shots' for action which took place in a single day for a single character.

I also used 'montage' for action in a single day with multiple characters.

I also used 'montage' when a narrator was speaking once, and 'series of shots' once with a narrator. I also used 'series of shots' when music should play.

The script is set in the Olympics, so there's lots of need to compile scenes and sports, crowds and sportscasters, locals and athletes.

I used the tools to the best advantage I could, not necessarily interchangeably, but I mixed it up as much as possible. It's up to writers to determine what's best for their story, and which tool should be used and when.

ricetalks

Registered
Reaction score
Here are the two defintions my script format books gives.

MONTAGE:

Two or more related subjects presented on the screen at the same time intercut with each other.

SERIES OF SHOTS:

A series of short action sequences which serve to move the audience quickly through time, experience or stream of consciousness, etc.

padnar

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the info . I was wondering when to use Montage shots now I am clear about it .
padma