• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Advantage Media Group

ShannonC_77

Registered
Reaction score
I'm just wondering if anyone has heard anything about Advantage Media Group?

http://www.amgbook.com/index.cfm

I know someone who just had a book published through them but am not entirely sure, it's it more of a self-publishing route?

I'm thinking about trying to publish a book, more for branding myself as an expert in my own city though than anything. I'm starting up a fitness bootcamp class and this would be a great thing to have give-away draws for (the book on fitness/nutrition) and help the local people see me as more credible.

I'd plan to sell the book on the business website as well as having the free giveaways. Self-publishing would probably be the best method for something like this right?

Between the above company and Lulu, would Lulu be a much better option? Is it possible to get books published through Lulu in actual bookstores as well?

Any thoughts/advice would be great. I've never looked much into self-publishing before.

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
If the person you know paid to get published (paid more than postage, that is) then it's a vanity publisher. Their site smacks of a vanity press. I suspect the bottom line for their services is quite pricey.

Lulu is a low-cost option for do-it-yourself-ers.

I'm going to port your post over to our POD Self-Publishing forum. You'll get more advice from folks who've been-there and done-that.

Good luck.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
. . .
Any thoughts/advice would be great. I've never looked much into self-publishing before.
Let me recommend that you study the most recent edition of Dan Poynter's Self-Publishing Manual or the comparable book by Tom & Marilyn Ross, or both.

Your proposed purpose is one of the good ones for self-publishing, but do your homework.

Lulu is useful (and the subject of some threads here), but will not get your book placed in bookstores other than Amazon and other online outlets (including barnesandnoble.com). Depending on many factors, it might be a useful choice as printer, but it is not a simple question. I have used Lulu, with satisfactory results for my purposes, but the only way I get the books into stores is to deal in person with the stores (a couple of local ones).

--Ken

ShannonC_77

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks very much for both the replies - that's really helpful. I'll look into reading one (or both) of those books.

I think self-publishing is the best option here too; I'm not hugely concerned with getting into bookstores (it'd be nice!), but that's not the primary purpose.

Plus, I think it might allow me a little more control over the content, which is what I'm going for.

The book is more to help fuel the business than to really generate book sales.

LouiseStanley

Registered
Reaction score
Last edited: