The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Baycrest Books

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Baycrest Books

Anyone know anything about them?

And now, back to Plodding! Duncan J Macdonald's Avatar

Baycrest

Quote Originally Posted by Maldon
    Anyone know anything about them?
    Aside from the sort of cursory web search that Google allows?

No.

But, from their submissions page, they appear to be a "You don't need an agent, but you do need to query first, and we'll ask you for the manuscript in hardcopy if we like your query." kind of place.
    Advances are low (100 - 500 USD), but royalties are listed as being off of cover price, not net.
    Simsubs are allowed.
    Allow 9 to 12 months for editorial review before acceptance. Publishing within 12 to 18 months after contract date.
    Tells authors that are rejected to try again, and to try other publishers.
    Sales from web-site and online retailers. Limited bookstore penetration, none of the major chains, but they do list brick'n'mortar locations that stock their titles.
    Prices appear to be competitive -- 224 page novel listed at 14.95 USD, discounted by Amazon.com to 10.17 USD.
    Not listed by Preditors and Editors.
    A Google search for "Baycrest Books Scam" yielded no hits.

Why do you ask?
    R/
    Hamster #164

Stand in the Place Where You Live KTC's Avatar
    Well, I can't say I know anything. But...on the up side, they rejected one of my manuscripts. A lot of scammers accept everything thrown at them. If they wanted to scam me I was probably a willing victim at the time. They seem reputable to me...though don't know anything really.
    Get Burn Baby Burn Baby today! Now on the 2016 In the Margins Book Awards List!
    I blog
    I INSTAGRAM
    I Tweet
    I have 5 novels published. You can see them here on my Amazon Author Page if you're at all interested.

Hagiographically Advantaged AW Moderator HapiSofi's Avatar
    Mind, "they're probably legit; they rejected me" has its limitations as a strategy.

Stand in the Place Where You Live KTC's Avatar
    Agreed.
    Get Burn Baby Burn Baby today! Now on the 2016 In the Margins Book Awards List!
    I blog
    I INSTAGRAM
    I Tweet
    I have 5 novels published. You can see them here on my Amazon Author Page if you're at all interested.

practical experience, FTW
    any new info on these guys? http://www.baycrestbooks.com/

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Been closed to submissions since Dec '05. No sign on Amazon, etc., of book scheduled for release Spring 2006. http://www.baycrestbooks.com/starpoint.htm
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

practical experience, FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by CaoPaux
    Been closed to submissions since Dec '05. No sign on Amazon, etc., of book scheduled for release Spring 2006. http://www.baycrestbooks.com/starpoint.htm
    Thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by HapiSofi
    Mind, "they're probably legit; they rejected me" has its limitations as a strategy.
    Sort of like Marxo's, "I would never want to be in any club that would have me as a member."

Thumbs down One thing that bothers me about them.

As a book reviewer,

One thing that immediately springs to my attention when looking through their store...all of the books look like cheapo gallery covers.

They just look terrible like not much was put into them. I would always beware of this sort of thing...especially if you will be relying heavily on internet sales of your books. the cover is first major thing to attract book buyers; if it stinks, so do your sales.

Podlingmaster

Visit and submit your self published, or small to medium press novels for review at P.O.D.LINGS. We review in the genres of Thrillers, Action-Adventure, Science Fiction and some Fantasy. (We also will review YA in these genres as well)
    Submit query email to pod_master1(at)yahoo.com

Still closed to submissions, but did publish a new book April 2007.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

No further books published; site is gone.
    ICAO
    ---------