Obama's Grandmother Passed away in Honolulu

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Too bad that she didn't live to see her grandson win the election at least.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Yes. The timing of it, huh?

Potentially one of his highest moments and one of his lowest within a day of each other.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Oh man, how terrible. How sad she didn't get to live to see the outcome of the election. Yes, I agree, it's good he went to visit her.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
soo close.

very sad, but at least she lived to see him get this far.

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
Really tragic for her and for him, but how grateful he must be that he took those two days to visit. I guess it's a good lesson for all of us in not taking for granted that fate will work for our convenience, and do what's most important today.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
This is indeed sad. The fact that she never lived to see the results of the election was also my first thought.

And now for a difficult question:

When will they hold the funeral?? I suspect tomorrow is far too soon. So tomorrow Obama will be grieving for his grandmother in the midst of all the votes being tallied. What an odd thing for him to have to face: the quient fretting over the election amid the process of grieving his grandmother. What human being has ever gone through anything like THAT?

Will he and family fly to Hawaii TOMORROW?? Or wait until after the election?

Wil they hold the funeral on Wednesday? Or Thurday? Or even put it off until possibly Friday or Saturday? Will he and his famiuly be standing graveside in Hawaii after he has lost the election? Or after he has won? Again, what an odd mixture of emotions.

If I had written a Hollywood script with that unbelievable mix of emotional fabric, the producer would have tossed my script in in the trash can.

What a situation.

Reaction score
If she truly died today instead of 10 days ago that makes me very very sad that she missed by 24 hours.

Just awful.

So sad.

They couldn't keep her alive for 24 more hours!!!??

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Yes. The timing of it, huh?

Potentially one of his highest moments and one of his lowest within a day of each other.

I can't imagine what he would be feeling -- I know he was extremely close to the woman who helped raise him.

If he won, there would certainly be regrets that he couldn't share that with some of the people he loves (both his mother and now grandmother) the most.

If he lost, the emotional weight would probably be extremely unbearable.

It was good that he went to see her -- I agree; life is like that. You never know. Better seize the day and tell those we love how much we love them... when you have the chance. At least she saw him get this far, and no doubt in my mind she "knew" he would succeed.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Oh how sad. :e2cry:
I had been hoping she'd manage to hold on just a couple more days.

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
This makes me so sad. My grandmother helped raise me, and she died last year. I know that pain, but I can't imagine what he must be feeling in regards to her loss and the election. The emotional feelings must be overwhelming. I wish she could have lived a few more days.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
How awful and sad. Like others posted before me, here, on the brink of making history in such a wonderful way and at the end of a grueling two-year process, topped with terrible sadness.

My sincere condolences to him and his family.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
Wow,

there aren't words to describe how much that sucks. At least, she knows that he will win. The polls are on his side (yeah I know they aren't absolute). But she could at least die in peace knowing that he is going to win. Still, just 24 hrs. God, 24 little hours in the day.

Amazing what a day can bring or not bring. Its been so long since i've actually 'cared' about a political candidate. I have to admit, I've drunk the kool-aid, I believe the hype, I dare to hope.

And so it feels so very personal and I feel for him. God be with him and his family.

As for the funeral. Standard Practice to hold the funeral 3 - 5 days after a death, so I would imagine this coming weekend

This is so said, don't think I could take a speech of him talking about her and crying. Not that I would cry, I'm too manly of a man to cry. But I'm sure if I watched it, a mote of dust would fly into my eye illiciting an allergic reaction resulting in tears.

I wish him and his family well.

Originally Posted by billythrilly7th
If she truly died today instead of 10 days ago that makes me very very sad that she missed by 24 hours.

seriously?
you're going with this line in this thread?

Seems Obama hatred/cynasism knows no bounds. gotta get that jab in.

Mel...

Last edited:
Reaction score
seriously?

you're going with this line in this thread?

Just doing my impression of the loony far left.

Hey, loony left, when is that moment when the White House announces having captured Bin Laden?

It's getting late in the game.