Beta Project

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Don't know if anyone caught Katiemac's post in the beta reader forum, but it looks like she's working on getting another beta challenge (so to speak) going.

I participated last time, so did Bardskye - not sure whether anyone else from historical did. What Katiemac did was have everyone who wanted to participate send her the first chapter or 5,000 words (can't remember), then she matched up the participants so everyone read about four or five of the other submissions and everyone got comments from four or five people. It was very interesting and worthwhile. Then, people were encouraged to volunteer to beta read the submissions. Bardskye read mine (thriller), I read one done by one of our ESL members - and we offered and got comments on the manuscripts.

If any of you are inclined, I can't say enough good about my experience the last time. So, watch the beta forum for posts by Katiemac about the beta challenge - and, as she said, whip your manuscripts into shape. Puma

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
I saw Katiemac's post and wondered what it was all about. Thank you for the information, Puma. I wasn't here for the last one but I'd like to participate in the one to come for historical novels.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Oh drat!

It is spring here in NZ. Lovely weather and green things are a-growing - very fast.

I am moving cattle from paddock to paddock to keep the grass down, the sheep are being lawn mowers down my 1K drive way and 2000 trees await planting. As does the veg garden and the soft fruit garden.
On top of this my agent is after me for various things and my new computer is still crashing all the time.

I am sorry not to be available, it would have been fun.

euclid

Where did I put me specs?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
Questions, questions

Don't know if anyone caught Katiemac's post in the beta reader forum, but it looks like she's working on getting another beta challenge (so to speak) going.

I participated last time, so did Bardskye - not sure whether anyone else from historical did. What Katiemac did was have everyone who wanted to participate send her the first chapter or 5,000 words (can't remember), then she matched up the participants so everyone read about four or five of the other submissions and everyone got comments from four or five people. It was very interesting and worthwhile. Then, people were encouraged to volunteer to beta read the submissions. Bardskye read mine (thriller), I read one done by one of our ESL members - and we offered and got comments on the manuscripts.

If any of you are inclined, I can't say enough good about my experience the last time. So, watch the beta forum for posts by Katiemac about the beta challenge - and, as she said, whip your manuscripts into shape. Puma

1. How did she match up participants? By genre maybe?

2. What are ESL members? Got a feeling I should know this.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I went for genre where available, and it came out quite balanced. I also asked folks what genres they'd be willing to critique, if not their own. :D

ESL = English as a Second Language.

Don't worry, I promise to give out all the appropriate information soon enough (hint: Saturday, barring any personal injury). But being this cryptic has piqued some extra interest. That's always helpful.

Also, I'm evil.

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I participated last time and read - if I remember correctly - three or four excerpts in as many genres. It was great fun.

Won't be available this time unless it's after Christmas. Too many deadlines before then. That's why I haven't been posting here much lately (though I have been lurking just to keep an eye on you lot...).

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Good to see you lurking, Bardskye. We miss you. Puma

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Katiemac has posted more about the beta project in the beta forum (two above SYW). It's not going to start until January so there's time to clean up manuscripts. Come on historicals - it's beta time! Puma

euclid

Where did I put me specs?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
Time for a celebration !!!!

Katiemac has posted more about the beta project in the beta forum (two above SYW). It's not going to start until January so there's time to clean up manuscripts. Come on historicals - it's beta time! Puma

Don't know where to post this...

My number one beta-reader-cum-editor has been through my manuscript with a fine comb over the weekend, and ironed out a few wrinkles. It is in absolutely fantastic shape now.

I have actually written a Historical Suspense/Thriller.

:e2woo::e2woo::e2woo::e2woo::e2woo:

Can't wait to start querying. Holding back. Planning to wait for a few more beta readers to finish. Also, number one says she'll read it again. I'm not sure I will be able to wait until this January Beta Project.