• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Mirage Books

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Mirage Books, an India-based publisher, ran a short story contest this fall. It's now sending out notifications to the 50 winners requesting personal information, including "A Scanned Copy Of Your Driving License Or Passport Or Voter's Card As Identity Proof."

IMO, sharing this info is unwise--not to mention unnecessary. There are other red flags as well. See my blog post of this morning.

- Victoria

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for the warning, Victoria. I didn't submit but I hope those who get such an email will ignore it.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I've just read your blog post and commented. This one seems particularly interesting... but not in a good way. Thanks, as usual, for the alert, Victoria.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I've now had a better look at Mirage's website and couldn't resist quoting this bit:

The bottom-line is that if you have written it, you have a right to be published and read. Period.

Not in my world you haven't.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
The winners' anthology was published Feb '09, but I'm not seeing any further activity. The next contest was for scripts, with results to be announced July '09. Blog hasn't been updated since '08.