Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Publisher] Mirage Books

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar

[Publisher] Mirage Books

Mirage Books, an India-based publisher, ran a short story contest this fall. It's now sending out notifications to the 50 winners requesting personal information, including "A Scanned Copy Of Your Driving License Or Passport Or Voter's Card As Identity Proof."

IMO, sharing this info is unwise--not to mention unnecessary. There are other red flags as well. See my blog post of this morning.

- Victoria

banned as an incurable tosspot
    Thanks for the warning, Victoria. I didn't submit but I hope those who get such an email will ignore it.

Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    I've just read your blog post and commented. This one seems particularly interesting... but not in a good way. Thanks, as usual, for the alert, Victoria.

Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    I've now had a better look at Mirage's website and couldn't resist quoting this bit:

The bottom-line is that if you have written it, you have a right to be published and read. Period.
    Not in my world you haven't.

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Yes, I saw that too and shook my head. They also say they're going to change the world of books.

Sigh.

- Victoria

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    The winners' anthology was published Feb '09, but I'm not seeing any further activity. The next contest was for scripts, with results to be announced July '09. Blog hasn't been updated since '08.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: