Reading Your Own Writing--for Pleasure

Status
Not open for further replies.

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
When my book is published I plan to read it cover to cover. Don' know how pleasurable that will be, but I hope to find out!

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
I always enjoy reading back to an experience I once had with writing, as it shows what I am capable of, and what type of writing I excel in. Also shows what type of writing I don't feel at ease in, just by reading it now. It brings about a clearer perspective of the reality of why I wrote that type of story there and then. Being in a detached frame of mind when reading past works, helps to develop my natural writing style, and it enables me to flourish and develop myself through writing. :)

roncouch

The Couchmeister
Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing the third manuscript of a trilogy, and find it necessary to occasionally review certain chapters of the first two to avoid mistakes in dates, times, names, places, etc. It's also a helpful editing tool, and an embarrassment when I see errors in the published book.

Stunted

Ich heiße Superphantastisch!
Registered
Reaction score
I follow the whole "Write what you'd want to read" philosophy, so, yeah, I read my own stuff for fun. Er...I guess I often read it with the intention of editing, but when I get up to a part that I know is edited, I read it anyway, just for kicks. There's this one scene that ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS just makes me go into a fit of fangirlish giggles. It's a little ridiculous.

scheherazade

Human
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't say I'll whip out my notebook and read it any time I'm bored and craving something to read. But sometimes, when I'm in the mood - usually late at night, when I'm struggling to figure out where a story is going, or if I've just come across an old notebook from a few years back - I might start reading a story of mine and get caught up in it.

Certainly I can't read my own words without identifying at least a few sentences that I can improve, not to mention continuity or logical errors. I don't think I'd want to read my own work after it had been published, for fear of discovering things I have no power to change anymore. But it helps to strengthen stuff I'm still working on.

I definitely find that reading some of my better works can remind me that I'm a better writer than my darker moments allow me to believe. I don't know necessarily that everyone else will enjoy reading my words, but it entertains me at least.

Ageless Stranger

Dave Brubeck kicks your ass.
Registered
Reaction score
I let them stew, then read them. If I get drawn in and I enjoy them, I continue working on them. If I don't, no matter how many people say they liked it, I delete the blasted thing. I'll be damned if I'm going to let other people read something that I don't like, when it's my own damn work. I'd only end up bitching about it if my first published book was one that I hated.

Status
Not open for further replies.