• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Contest] Zimbo Books

Deccydiva

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
I have just received this email. For me, it raises more questions than it answers. Comments, anyone? I have removed any links, just in case.

Dear Author

The Zimbo Books Fiction Competition 2008 (link removed)
Zimbo Books is pleased to announce the Zimbo Books Fiction Competition 2008 commemorating the launch of Zimbo Books. This exciting competition as described in the competition rules has 2 major benefits:
* A prize pool of USD $100,000 with a first prize of USD $80,000.
The next four runners up get USD $5,000 each.
* One year's subscription for all Authors to sell their books online via Zimbo Books (value USD $45).
The closing date of Registrations for the Competition is 21 April 2009. Registration fee is USD $85 per entry. Authors can enter more than one book.

Books must be the copyright of the author, 50,000 - 300,0000 words in English. Competition is open to anyone in the world. If the author is under the age of eighteen years as at the Commencement Date, then the consent of a parent or guardian is required.

Books will be judged on originality, opening, plot, characters, writing style, and dialogue. Zimbo Books reserves the right to reject any entries that it deems, in its sole discretion, to be inappropriate, for any reason whatsoever. A special panel of qualified judges selected by Zimbo Books in its sole discretion shall determine the first prize winner.

Competition details at (link removed)

Referral Fees

If you refer another author, we will pay a referral fee of $15 upon a successful signup. To get a referral, you need to register as a Zimbo Member - a link is provided when you login to yout account. Your Zimbo username is the referral ID.

About Zimbo

Zimbo is a great site where products and members interact. Zimbo aims to fill gaps in the marktplace in a fun and unique way. Zimbo is an evolution from all the transaction processing Zimbo's parent company, Technocash, has been doing for many international businesses. They asked for Zimbo, now you can get involved too.

Zimbo is a division of Technocash Pty Ltd which is a licensed financial institution providing payment solutions since 2000. Businesses can get paid with Zimbo either online or from over 4,000 Australia Post outlets. Technocash presently provides Australian collection services for hundreds of non-Australian eBay sellers. Technocash provides one account to hold different currencies including USD & Euro with efficient and cheaper international payments. To unsubscribe send a return email with "unsubscribe".

Zimbo Books Fiction Competition compared to other competitions

Compared to some other writing competitions:

Zimbo Books does provide cash prizes
Zimbo Books does not acquire copyright in the book entries
Zimbo Books does not require the author to enter into an exclusive publishing or agency agreement
Zimbo Books does not require any additional fees such as reading fees, minimum order costs etc

This is a great competition with a prize pool of $100,000 - you should sign up now at (link removed)

Also, the sooner you enter the sooner your book is listed on Zimbo Books for sale. A great bonus to the competition.

Zimbo Books
a division of TECHNOCASH PTY LTD ABN 20 080 109 217 AFS Licence No: 247299
PO Box 618, Parramatta, New South Wales, 2124, AUSTRALIA
Phone: +612 96871900 Facsimile +612 80884348 Email: (removed)

Last edited:

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Registration fee is USD $85 per entry.

I wouldn't. So you get the chance to advertise your book on their website for one year? Well I've never heard of this company or their website, so I'm not exactly sure how that would help reach a large audience.

qwerty

exiled Brit
Registered
Reaction score
Firstly, I am always suspicious of unsolicited offers of anything. The fact that this arrived by email means it's spam.

Amongst other things, I don't like the bit where they pay you if you refer another author.

I don't like this either:
"The closing date of Registrations for the Competition is 21 April 2009. Registration fee is USD $85 per entry. Authors can enter more than one book."

I'd say well done for posting this, Deccydiva. It has an unpleasant smell about it.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And their selectivity filter for what they sell is $45.00 USD. Your book likely will be right up there with a whole load of unedited, vanity-pubbed books (not suggesting all self-pubbed books are crap).

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Zimbo Books is pleased to announce the Zimbo Books Fiction Competition 2008 commemorating the launch of Zimbo Books

It's not clear if Zimbo Books is a publisher, retailer or whatever - only that it's a new company, which means no track record.

A prize pool of USD $100,000 with a first prize of USD $80,000.

Given that Zimbo Books is a new company, I'd want to know what security is standing behind this cash committment. I'd want to see a banker's draft.

One year's subscription for all Authors to sell their books online via Zimbo Books (value USD $45).

Okay, so let's presume that Zimbo Books is a retailer - why would any new on-line book retailer want unsolicited manuscripts from unpublished authors? How can they possibly make money from that (other than from the authors by charging them for listing their work)?

Books must be the copyright of the author, 50,000 - 300,0000 words in English.

300,000 words?!!! I hope the judges are fast readers - especially if they've only got until next April to get through all the entries.

Competition is open to anyone in the world.

Immediate red flag if this is an Australian company. Most countries have strict laws governing how competitions can be run in their jurisdiction (and I'm not expecting Australia to be any different), which is why so many companies limit it entry by territory.

Books will be judged on originality, opening, plot, characters, writing style, and dialogue.

So, you're pretty much judging the entire book then.

Zimbo Books reserves the right to reject any entries that it deems, in its sole discretion, to be inappropriate, for any reason whatsoever.

Another red flag. Given the breadth of this, they could pocket your US$85 and then say "sorry, we thing this book is inappropriate and therefore ineligible".

A special panel of qualified judges selected by Zimbo Books in its sole discretion shall determine the first prize winner.

I'd want to know who those judges are before I submitted anything. Do they have enough credible experience in publishing or writing for their opinion to matter?

If you refer another author, we will pay a referral fee of $15 upon a successful signup. To get a referral, you need to register as a Zimbo Member - a link is provided when you login to yout account. Your Zimbo username is the referral ID.

Firstly, no. Legitimate competitions do not need entrants to refer other people to them, nor do they need to bribe entrants with financial rewards for making referrals. This is really a cheap way for Zimbo to build up membership (and presumably associated email addresses, which it can use to issue more targeted spam).

Secondly, it appears that joining the Zimbo site is a condition to entering the competition. I'd want to read the terms and conditions for belonging to that site before I did anything.

Zimbo aims to fill gaps in the marktplace in a fun and unique way.

What gaps in the marketplace? What makes Zimbo so unique?

Zimbo is an evolution from all the transaction processing Zimbo's parent company, Technocash, has been doing for many international businesses.

What business? Is Technocash a publisher? Is it a book retailer? No, it's apparently an alternative to Paypal.

Technocash Pty Ltd which is a licensed financial institution providing payment solutions since 2000. Businesses can get paid with Zimbo either online or from over 4,000 Australia Post outlets. Technocash presently provides Australian collection services for hundreds of non-Australian eBay sellers. Technocash provides one account to hold different currencies including USD & Euro with efficient and cheaper international payments. To unsubscribe send a return email with "unsubscribe".

And I shouldn't have to add that USD85 is an obscenely high amount to pay to enter any writing competition, let alone a competition run by a company with no apparent track record in selling books, publishing books or anything to do with the publishing industry.

In summary: save your cash and don't bother. If your book's good enough to be published, you'll save time and earn money going down the old-fashioned query and submit route.

MM

Lainey Bancroft

Cover Me!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elaineforlife.com
I got the same email. It was resting in a folder with messages from dozens of young Russian women waiting to 'meet me' and several entreaties to buy products that will enhance a body part I don't have!

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
I took a look at their site and clicked on a several links which are supposed to take you to the books. They have links for different genres.

Looks like they have either had no takers yet or else they are not set up yet to give users info on the books because I kept getting info popping up on products unrelated to books in any way.

It's really unclear what they are in the business of doing. It's not purely an award, it's not purely marketing and it's not purely retailing books. There is not one iota of info that I can find regarding who is actually doing the day-to-day work on all of this, what their background is in the industry, etc.

Zimbo's "right to reject" and section under Terms and Conditions, "Resolution of Disputes and Release" strike me also as huge red flags.

MickRooney

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theindependentpublishingmagazine.com
Zimbo books look like their an austrailian based online retailer owned by a company called 'Technocash'. I'll say no more on that one.

This looks like a company with no expertise in publishing using a 'competition' as a means to promote and launch the sale of ebooks on their site. You could submit the menu from MacDonalds for your $85 to this outfit and it wouldn't make a difference.

It came via spam email. Click the delete button and walk away.

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad I clicked on this thread. I got the same email and was suspicious.

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Zimbo Books is launching a novel writing contest.(To be merged with existing thread)

I recieved an email from a new publishing company and since they will be launching pretty soon, they decided to start up a contest.

I'm doing NaNo at the same time, so I thought maybe I should enter my book into this new contest and I thought I'd tell you guys about it.

As I'm reading there are some parts of this message that I should be skeptical about. I've always wanted to enter a writing contest. But I'm not sure, what would you guys think?

The message is below.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Author

The Zimbo Books Fiction Competition 2008 www.zimbo.com.au
Zimbo Books is pleased to announce the Zimbo Books Fiction Competition 2008 commemorating the launch of Zimbo Books. This exciting competition as described in the competition rules has 2 major benefits:
* A prize pool of USD $100,000 with a first prize of USD $80,000.
The next four runners up get USD $5,000 each.
* One year's subscription for all Authors to sell their books online via Zimbo Books (value USD $45).
The closing date of Registrations for the Competition is 21 April 2009. Registration fee is USD $85 per entry. Authors can enter more than one book.

Books must be the copyright of the author, 50,000 - 300,0000 words in English. Competition is open to anyone in the world. If the author is under the age of eighteen years as at the Commencement Date, then the consent of a parent or guardian is required.

Books will be judged on originality, opening, plot, characters, writing style, and dialogue. Zimbo Books reserves the right to reject any entries that it deems, in its sole discretion, to be inappropriate, for any reason whatsoever. A special panel of qualified judges selected by Zimbo Books in its sole discretion shall determine the first prize winner.

Competition details at http://www.zimbo.com.au/pages/books.cfm

Referral Fees

About Zimbo

Zimbo is a great site where products and members interact. Zimbo aims to fill gaps in the marktplace in a fun and unique way. Zimbo is an evolution from all the transaction processing Zimbo's parent company, Technocash, has been doing for many international businesses. They asked for Zimbo, now you can get involved too.

Zimbo is a division of Technocash Pty Ltd which is a licensed financial institution providing payment solutions since 2000. Businesses can get paid with Zimbo either online or from over 4,000 Australia Post outlets. Technocash presently provides Australian collection services for hundreds of non-Australian eBay sellers. Technocash provides one account to hold different currencies including USD & Euro with efficient and cheaper international payments. To unsubscribe send a return email with "unsubscribe".

Zimbo Books Fiction Competition compared to other competitions

Compared to some other writing competitions:

Zimbo Books does provide cash prizes
Zimbo Books does not acquire copyright in the book entries
Zimbo Books does not require the author to enter into an exclusive publishing or agency agreement
Zimbo Books does not require any additional fees such as reading fees, minimum order costs etc

This is a great competition with a prize pool of $100,000 - you should sign up now at http://www.zimbo.com.au/pages/register.cfm?author=1

Also, the sooner you enter the sooner your book is listed on Zimbo Books for sale. A great bonus to the competition.

Zimbo Books
a division of TECHNOCASH PTY LTD ABN 20 080 109 217 AFS Licence No: 247299
PO Box 618, Parramatta, New South Wales, 2124, AUSTRALIA
Phone: +612 96871900 Facsimile +612 80884348 Email: mailto:[email protected]?subject=Zimbo%20Books%20competition

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somebody else posted in Bewares & Background Checks regarding this same contest, or one similar.

Take a look at this: Registration fee is USD $85 per entry.

In case you missed it, I'll repeat it: Registration fee is USD $85 per entry.

Really wouldn't trust them any further than I could throw a piano, especially for a start-up. Usually not a good sign for a contest, especially with a fee so high. Especially for a start-up. Spend your money copying the manuscript to send out to legit agents and publishers.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Sounds like a cleaning product. "Zimbo the grease away!"

So let's see. They charge eighty-five bucks to enter their writing contest, they're spamming sites everywhere, and their company has the same name as the geek in the circus who bites heads off of live chickens.

I see enough red flags going up to fill Moscow Square. Run.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Let's play spot the problems: http://www.zimbo.com.au/pages/books.cfm

How much are Zimbo Books sold for?

Zimbo Books are sold for a recommended retail price of USD $10. Zimbo charges USD $3 so you keep USD $7 . Net sales monies will be paid into your Zimbo Account. Click here for how Zimbo Accounts work – link to Zimbo accounts page. As Zimbo Books is based in Australia all credit/debit card transaction are processed in the AUD equivalent. You can choose the selling price.

How does Zimbo Books compare to having a book published?

Zimbo Books is much better. For a start you don’t need a publisher to start selling If you are one of the very few lucky authors to get your book published, the time taken to get the book to market is often more than a year. No waiting with Zimbo Books. Plus you get much more money with Zimbo Books for each sale. Many authors get a royalty of 10% paid by the publishers. But it is 10% of the wholesale price not the retail price. For example, if the book has a retail price of $30, it could have a wholesale price of $15 and the 10% royalty is $1.50 – compared to Zimbo with a net sale amount of $7.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Net sales monies will be paid into your Zimbo Account.

And what odds will I be given for betting that the Zimbo Account is held with Technocash, which just happens to be Zimbo's parent? And I wonder if, as with Paypal, there are charges for withdrawing money from that Zimbo account?

Zimbo Books are sold for a recommended retail price of USD $10. Zimbo charges USD $3 so you keep USD $7 . <SNIP> As Zimbo Books is based in Australia all credit/debit card transaction are processed in the AUD equivalent.

So books are sold in USD, people pay in USD, but the Author receives AUDs. No offence to the Ozzies on the board, but currency fluctuations being what they are that could seriously be to the detriment of an author.

For a start you don’t need a publisher to start selling If you are one of the very few lucky authors to get your book published, the time taken to get the book to market is often more than a year. No waiting with Zimbo Books.

Yes that's because there'll be no editing, no marketing, no presence in bookstores, no nothing except slush - glorious slush - for sale at USD10 a pop.

Many authors get a royalty of 10% paid by the publishers. But it is 10% of the wholesale price not the retail price. For example, if the book has a retail price of $30, it could have a wholesale price of $15 and the 10% royalty is $1.50 – compared to Zimbo with a net sale amount of $7.

There's a word that can be used to counter this, and that word is: bollocks.

MM

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
And what odds will I be given for betting that the Zimbo Account is held with Technocash, which just happens to be Zimbo's parent? And I wonder if, as with Paypal, there are charges for withdrawing money from that Zimbo account?

Since you asked... Technocash charges a fee to set up an account and get a Technocard of your choice, which for international transactions would be their Global card that comes with a one-time price tag of just (ahem) $38.00. There are more charges and fees incurred when you move funds but I didn’t bother reading it carefully. Frankly, if you’re willing to spend $38.00 for the privilege of having a Technocard in your wallet, why bother with the little details like fees and charges for moving your money, eh?

I did think this was amusing in a scary, rather frightening way.

Zimbo Shopping portal is now taking registrations. Join now to make Zimbo happy.!

[FONT=&quot]When I clicked on the link and checked out what was being sold on Zimbo, the same five items came up no matter what category I clicked on. That would be a bracelet, two cell phones, a Lego set, and a towball cover.

Seriously. I kid you not.
[/FONT]

Last edited:

Deccydiva

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
It sounds exactly what I suspected as soon as I received the email. I actually laughed. :roll:

I spent a number of years as a (very successful) fraud investigator in the UK. Hopefully the extensive and valid comments made on this thread will deter anyone who though it might be worth pursuing... :) It reminds me of my brother's technique when trying to get our parents to spend money on something he wanted - line 1: "I've got this really good idea to save you money" line 2: "it will only cost you...."

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I got it this morning too. They must've got my email off some list or other. Spam, scam, slam.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
So books are sold in USD, people pay in USD, but the Author receives AUDs. No offence to the Ozzies on the board, but currency fluctuations being what they are that could seriously be to the detriment of an author.

Look on the bright side: our dollar's lost half its value in 3 months. You'll get twice as much bang for your buck. ;)

EDIT: If you're in the towball cover market...

Last edited: