Status
Not open for further replies.

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
Hello folks. I have just had an idea, from watching 5 seconds of a scene in a movie (Lost and Found, 1979) for a story, but I have never written any (laughable) humor before. Well, not the story that is ridiculously funny.

What is your advice in writing a humor piece with a twist of romance in it? - The twist of romance being the most funniest. How would I go about writing something with plenty of humor, and still romantic to the reader? Do any of you write in a specific way, to allure a reader in? What is your secret? Do you have any tips to write 'good' humor? Feel free to share, if you think it'll help. Thanks. :)

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Watch some romantic comedies.

When Harry Met Sally
Romancing the Stone
Legally Blonde

Just for starters. You'll get an idea of what works and what doesn't and how they mix in the funny with the romance.

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
Thanks Jeanne. You know the only film I found the slightest bit funny out of those three, was Romancing the stone in which I only found myself laughing a few seconds inbetween a few scenes. I suppose what I originally meant, was how do you write romantic comedy? Seeing movies to me is completetly different than writing about them I find. I can't quite get the grasp and vision going. I feel I need the connection with the flow of the words first, before I get going and I have not got them yet. How would you paraphrase a good romantic comedy? Never mind the plot..

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
I define romantic comedy to be a romance-theme that makes you laugh. If it doesn't make you laugh, it's not funny. If it's not funny, it can't be a romantic comedy. There are plenty of other rom-com examples out there, and if you want one that's both book and film, then check out Bridget Jones' Diary.

And, remember -- all films start with a script. So there are indeed words that create all you end up seeing on film. Movies are great teaching tools, if you look at them as a learning experience versus an entertainment experience.

myscribe

Who's the ninja now?!?
Registered
Reaction score
Corner of my mind (in a nice padded room)
I found the book, Writing the Romantic Comedy by Billy Mernit, to be a helpful resource on the genre.

But Jeanne's right about watching films that fall into the romantic comedy genre. It gives you a good idea of what they are doing and how they are doing it in terms of romantic comedy. Even if you don't find it funny, you can still see what their gags are, situations, etc. that are meant to be funny.

SherryTex

Working on 2nd WIP
Registered
Reaction score
Wash DC area, surrounded by overachievers
Website
www.sherryantonettiwrites.blogspot.com
Write a story. What usually makes a good romantic comedy is two fold --1) the characters find each other alarmingly interesting and 2) they reveal via their relationship, something about not simply each other but relationships in general.

Here are my suggestions: Watch series that developed the relationships over time --like Cheers, Remington Steele, and A Different World, and movies about relationships that took time to craft A Knight's Tale, Ground Hog Day, Emma, or revealed a dysfuntional relationship via what was not shown --O Brother Where Art Thou --I love Penny. Babylon Five's Londo and his three wives come to mind, as does Deep Space Nine's relationship of Quark and the Klingon Grilka (House of Quark episode).

Just start with your good idea. Nano is next month. Write the story. You will hear the character's voices. Most couples bicker, they quip, they have inside jokes that take on layers of meaning that develop over time. Be willing to invest the time. It's not stock characters (Rose, rich spoiled I don't have any control over my life) and whatever Leo DiCaprio's character's name was, (poor noble artistic kid), it's real people with real flaws who despite that (and that is what makes love so watchable, so wonderful), who find someone who thinks they're marvelous. Have fun.

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
Write a story. What usually makes a good romantic comedy is two fold --1) the characters find each other alarmingly interesting and 2) they reveal via their relationship, something about not simply each other but relationships in general.

Here are my suggestions: Watch series that developed the relationships over time --like Cheers, Remington Steele, and A Different World, and movies about relationships that took time to craft A Knight's Tale, Ground Hog Day, Emma, or revealed a dysfuntional relationship via what was not shown --O Brother Where Art Thou --I love Penny. Babylon Five's Londo and his three wives come to mind, as does Deep Space Nine's relationship of Quark and the Klingon Grilka (House of Quark episode).

Just start with your good idea. Nano is next month. Write the story. You will hear the character's voices. Most couples bicker, they quip, they have inside jokes that take on layers of meaning that develop over time. Be willing to invest the time. It's not stock characters (Rose, rich spoiled I don't have any control over my life) and whatever Leo DiCaprio's character's name was, (poor noble artistic kid), it's real people with real flaws who despite that (and that is what makes love so watchable, so wonderful), who find someone who thinks they're marvelous. Have fun.

Thanks for the tips. Sounds like a good path to take. I don't feel like I can just capture the gist of a 'romatic' comedy, when I don't find it funny myself. I feel I need to get into the heart of the characters to understand how they mingle, and fit together. I feel that I can make a story come to life, if I know how the characters are in themselfs before they come together and make it good humor. Not brave for NaNo this month, as I am rather peaceful where I am, so writing material is on hold.

Thanks everyone. :) :hi:

sharla

What's up??
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharlalovelace.com
Romantic comedies and sitcoms are what gave me my inspiration for my novel.

Faves:
Sweet Home Alabama
You've Got Mail

Dramedy shows worth checking out for material:
Gilmore Girls
One Tree Hill
Will and Grace
Judging Amy (I miss this show! GREAT family stuff!)

Status
Not open for further replies.