What was your best Halloween costumes evars?

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I went as a Christmas present one year. My mom found three boxes, cut the ends off two of them, and taped all three together to make one large box. She then cut arm and head holes, wrapped it in paper, put a yellow bow on the upper front corner, and made a "MERRY CHRISTMAS" gift tag to tape under the bow. I wore a yellow Harlequin mask, and viola!

What was/is yours? It can be from any time you've dressed up, from childhood to present.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
When I was in fifth grade, I dressed up as a surgeon. I even had a little doctor outfit for my favorite toy Snoopy dog.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I didn't have a decent costume until I was an adult.

As a kid I was always that stupid ghost. You know the one. The one from the cheap ass house where the mom takes a white sheet and cuts two holes in it for you eyes.

Boo!

Yeah, scary. You're a freaking sheet!

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
I was once a Japanese geisha. I wore a pretty kimono, but didn't want to wear that white makeup. Too much work. :D

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I was eleven, I was a French maid, with a short, tight grey taffeta dress over a big petticoat, fishnet stockings, high heels, and an ostrich feather duster.

Yes, I did get propositioned, by a man older than my daddy, who I believe was serious.

Ever since, I take a really dim view of anybody young enough to trick or treat dressing in a way that's sexualized--and the costume stores are full of junior slut costumery for young girls. Ugh.

Maryn, who makes a dynamite costume but doesn't wear one

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
In third grade (about 7 years old) I was a robot. I had some parental help but mostly I made it myself. It consisted of one long box for my body and another box for my head, all of which was spray painted silver. Then I had ummm, I don't know what you call it. Bendy aluminum piping, it's used in air ducts. Anyways those were the arms. Then I made the best part - I cut out a square on the back the size of a cereal box. I took the cereal box and cut one face so it swung open and then attached it so it was inset into the body of the costume. So there was literally a panel on the back of the robot costume you could open and find a bunch of switches and stuff inside. I even attached a slinky that would pop out when you opened the panel.

Of course what I remember about the costume was the fact that I wore it to school and then realized I could not sit down. (Fortunately I was wearing clothes underneath.) And how everyone picked on me at recess by running up from behind, opening the panel, and then running off so I had my robot innards hanging out and nothing I could do about it.

Yeah, overall, my super-creative costume did not go over well with my cheap-store-bought-polyester-costume-wearing classmates. Didn't really help that I was the new kid.

Ah well, they suck. And my costume was frickin' awesome.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
When I was in college I dressed up as Peter Pan. I am short and tiny with short, curly red hair- I went to the local Sal-Val, bought an oversized men's button down shirt in olive green- brown tights, and a sailors hat I dyed green with a feather stuck in it. Then wore ankle boots

I LOVED that costume. But my drop dead gorgous roommate got all the attention as Tinker Bell :(

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
never got to wear one as an adult, or even as a teen. As a kid I think I was decked out as a clown several times.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Ever since I was in grade school, I was a fan of Doctor Who. One year I dressed as Doctor Who: The Next Regeneration. I tried using something from each of the (at the time) six Doctors: Hartnell's scarf in the pocket, Troughton's flute(?), Pertwee's velvet jacket, Tom Baker's scarf, Davison's hat and celery on the lapel, and Colin Baker's umbrella and question marks on the shirt lapels. Not sure how many people recognized the costume, but I had fun putting it together.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I was in elementary school, moms made an incredible werewolf costume for me. For most kids if your mom makes the costume it's going to be a train wreck (which, if you're actually dressing up as a train wreck would be good, I suppose) but my mom was pretty creative on the sewing machine tip.

So yeah, it was great. It was so authentic I got jumped by a gang of actual vampires who had mistaken me for the real deal. Fortunately mom equipped the costume with razor-sharp-claws, teeth and just a pinch of awesome. I still keep the lead vampire's head in a jar on top of my refrigerator...

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't remember any of my kiddie costumes.

But as an adult, I once donned a Playboy bunny outfit.

Homewrecker

Intranational Mystery Woman
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nwhellcats.org
My best friend & I dressed as Chastity & Desire. He all in white veil and soft gossamy fabrics. Me in red sequined dress, red veil, fish nets, etc. Naturally, the only Halloween I don't have pictures from.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Two costumes I'm proud of, both from my college days:

1. I ironed on letters that spelled "Venice" on a sweatshirt, wore sunglasses, and carried a white cane with a red tip. Yes, I was a venetian blind. :rimshot:

2. Crash test dummy: I sewed black and yellow checkered strips to a dark blue jumpsuit and drew black and yellow markings on my face, including a circle on my nose. My BF at the time had the same outfit. I embroidered name patches that said "Crash" on his and "Burn" on mine.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Second post... not for me this time. When I was in jr hi/hi school, my friend and her sister ALWAYS had super creative costumes. One year her sister dressed up as a thanksgiving turkey. Yep. Another year, my friend was a shopping cart. She made it out of chicken wire. She had it around her so that she was coming up out of the part where a baby would sit, and then she put all of her candy in the paper bags in the cart.

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
My costumes always sucked. Every year I'd argue with my mom about not wanting to be a hobo again (we were always pinching pennies growing up). One year I was a Buck Rogers cast reject (which basically consisted of my mom sprinkling tinsel in my hair) but no one knew who Buck Rogers was (heck, I barely knew who he was).

I think I peaked around sixth grade or so when I cut a head hole and leg and arm holes in a piece of hanging luggage and went as a suitcase.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Sinead O'Connor. Makeup, dress, and combat boots.

If you post a pic of you in that get-up, I'll post one of me in my Britney Spears costume.

Regrettably, none of the photos from the finished look came out, but folks will get the drift.

Other notable ones were my Nick Nolte mugshot costume and 'Martha Stewart Living. . .Behind Bars' costume. The submariner from the sunken russian sub 'Kursk' was a touch over the edge, but I still won the costume contest. I was blue for a few days afterward, though. None of those photos are digital, though. I might try to get some converted to post 'em for ya, if I get enough requests. (Lots and lots of rep points, folks!)

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
I think I peaked around sixth grade or so when I cut a head hole and leg and arm holes in a piece of hanging luggage and went as a suitcase.

Oh, man, you made me laugh so hard I cried. My sides hurt, and I already suffer from a case of shingles, you cruel, cruel person.

I did put my wife into a box once. It was painted red. I went in a pair of overalls with a trowel in my pocket.

Brick and bricklayer.